Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Absolute positively the worst road ever
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Absolute positively the worst road ever

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulj wrote:

NM 104 on Google Maps doesn't look all that bad,
It's a tiny white line, looks like a backwoods/forest road. Seeing that, I wouldn't have done it. My GPS tries to take me on all sorts of horrible routes.. I don't let it.

My worst road is a 2-mile stretch into the Fountain of Youth Spa near Niland CA. 15 mph for me when towing.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

the park highway. AK. 130 miles of dust.

I will take a little dust for the view and you must be talking about some other road than the

Alaska’s most rugged terrain from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Yet the George Parks Highway need not be feared, because it is the state’s widest and best year-round road.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Dave in TN

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The worst road is the one back to work on Monday after a camping trip.

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most any interstate or highway in California. Pick one!

Does anyone actually like the use of concrete instead of asphalt?

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little off topic, but I have a Garmin RV660 GPS. With the correct dimensions of my 5th wheel in it, it tends to keep me off roads like that, as someone else has observed.

However, it is not foolproof. For some reason, it does not like traffic circles ("roundabouts"). It routed me through some residential streets I would rather not have used, apparently to avoid some traffic circles in Fort Collins, CO (which they seem to like to use on several of their streets). There is no setting, per se, in the preferences concerning avoiding traffic circles. The only one I can figure applies is "Avoid U-turns," which I definitely want to do with my trailer. However, in this case I was generally only going quarter or halfway around the the circle to go straight or turn on a crossroad. The circles were quite manageable with my rig.

My takeaway was that I should more carefully study the routing off freeways through unfamiliar urban areas. I you zoomed in to the route, you could see it was doing some weird maneuvers. I can preview the routing since I usually preplan the routes on BaseCamp.

Just a learning to pass along to other Garmin RV users.

P.S., my nomination for worst (major) road is I-10 through Sulphur, LA just west of Lake Charles, as several others have observed on these forums.

one_strange_texan
2015 Montana 3402RL
2015 Ram Diesel 3500 4WD single axle

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only dedicated GPS is an old TomTom. That asked me if an potential route included non-pavement.

These day's I'm using Google's routing on my phone. That seems to handle traffic circles just fine - even warning about upcoming ones. Washington has quite a few on its state highways - WSDOT likes to use them on intersections were there's enough space, and traffic doesn't call for a more expensive stop light or full interchange. WSDOT ones have overrun aprons that are meant to accommodate large rigs, including long trucks.

What did we do in the old days of paper maps, where the only hint that a road might be difficult (in a big rig) was the 'scenic route' coding? And National Forest color coding?

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the scenery was nice I’d take that road.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulj wrote:

What did we do in the old days of paper maps, where the only hint that a road might be difficult (in a big rig) was the 'scenic route' coding? And National Forest color coding?

I often stopped at a gas station in the area and asked. Worked most of the time but sometimes they'd reply "Keep on this road past the last stop light and turn left where the old schoolhouse used to be."

pigfarmer

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry Paulj, we drove it, didn't view it on Google Map. I invite you to drive it and then tell us what YOU think. You actually make me laugh to think you can discribe this road from a computer view.

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mountain Directory West states:

"The top of this hill is just east of Trijillo and there is a warning sign – “9% next 3 miles” near milepost 32. It is an eastbound descent with long steep drop-offs (there are guardrails most of the way down) and 25 mph curves. Some of the grade is less than 9%. Highway 104 is narrow and a bit rough, not with potholes but with humps, bumps, and lumps."

If I had read that, I wouldn't have taken that route. I'm sure the same can be said of the OP. The point is that there are resources available to keep you out of that, and other, bad decisions.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350 (Mothership)
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad (Libby)
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Absolute positively the worst road ever
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.