Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Absolute positively the worst road ever
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Absolute positively the worst road ever

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
gwalter

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigfarmer wrote:

You are right accsys. That is why we bought the Motor Carrier's Atlas. We were leaving out of Las Vegas, NM and at the time figured it was a short cut to get us to our road to I-40. By the time we realized we were in deep yogurt there was no where to turn around. I wrote this as a warning to anyone who might get on this highway by mistake. DON'T DO IT!!! Experience is the best teacher. The road we actually wanted was Hwy 84 the connector to I-40.

Hwy 84 is a great road to I-40.

2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2014 Heartland Bighorn Silverado 34SE
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 01:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google Maps does suggest 104 if the destination point is far enough to the east. It is a bit shorter than the 84/40 route.

Time is also less, but that may be off if the estimated speed on 104 is too high.

I don't doubt that the escarpment drop would be uncomfortable for drivers in a big rig, especially if they aren't prepared for it. There's plenty of room to turn around at the Trujillo turn off, or the ranch entrance just beyond that. It's once you start down the 3 mile grade that you are committed.

On streetmaps I see a familiar truck on grade sign, and watch from falling rocks, but no major grade warnings - you know the routine - check your brakes, use run out lanes, etc.

OR 140 just west of the Nevada border has a larger Doherty Slide escarpment. That's in the middle of 200 mile stretch between towns.

Moki Dugway on US261 is another RVers' boogieman. GM Streetview drove it in winter, with snow on the ground. That has true switch backs.

On the other hand I've seen puzzled discussions about a Mountain Directory warning on US191 north of Blanding UT.

New Mexico Highway 104: 110 Lovely, Lonely Miles

Sabinoso Wilderness, just NE of Trujillo

A blue highways photo essay

Loneliest road in NM "NM 104, though often disregarded, is a favorite route for knowing motorcyclists and geology junkies."

Video down Corazon Hill

* This post was last edited 01/24/20 01:36am by paulj *   View edit history

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OR-31 between Valley Falls and La Pine, OR. 120 miles. An absolute Washboard for a good 80-90 miles of that route. Posted 60mph but we could not tow over 40-45mph. On the map it looked like a shortcut between Lakeview and Bend. (Actually that road is the hypotenuse if your going from Lakeview to Bend, and Klamath Falls is the 90 degrees on that triangle.) The map looked like it would save us time. Never again, unless ODOT smooths out that Hwy. Too bad because the terrain is central Oregon very scenic high desert.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We try to avoid those roads like the plague and for the most part have been successful. I always preplan a route and if we run into detours or other unexpected situations, I check it will my phone ap and a paper map. The biggest problem with relying on the phone ap is there is no option to enter length and weight.
Now all that being said, we have been on a couple of roads mentioned. We went down the Moki Dugway in a pickup. Yikes!!! Even tho there are multiple signs restricting RV's etc, I have heard of them taking that route. I guess they figure if uranium trucks could make the trip, they can also.
The second road taken was US 64 east of Taos. But we had no choice. We were coming east from Durango on our way home from a trip. Unfortunately there were two large fires in the area. We made it over Wolf Creek Pass but the LaVeta pass was closed due to the fire. We were detoured (along with everyone else) south to Taos and then east through Angel Fire. Under normal traffic conditions, it wouldn't have been too awful. But with all of the rerouted traffic, it was a challenge. Thankfully we made it without incident.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rule is if the route states `Scenic' on the map avoid it when towing.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No question, I84 eastern PA, NY & into CT. Truck beaten potholes big enough to swallow a Smartcar.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

pigfarmer

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11, we checked Hwy 84 on all our resourses and saw that it was a good highway, being why we chose it. We were PUT on Hwy 104 and my message is: Horrible worst ever road in 27 years of traveling and probably 200,000 miles.

dsteinman

Los Alamos, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have driven that road in our previous motorhome about 8 years ago since we were driving back from Lake Conchas. Just seemed like a normal New Mexico state road. There are many worse. Some are dirt roads.

In general, I don't take the state routes in New Mexico in the motorhome unless I know they are OK. Like 26 between Deming and Hatch. Or 522 north of Taos.

David

2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the roughest road--at least the roughest for the longest distance--that I've had my motorhome on was the Dalton Highway up to Prudhoe Bay. It was far from the worst road, though; the scenery is second to none, and seeing genuine tundra (with pingos!) was fascinating.

I-84 through New York is pretty rough and often a bit busy and has not too many redeeming qualities in my opinion other than at times being a convenient route between where I am and where I need to be.

pigfarmer

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of you have missed the whole point of this post. The question was about YOUR worst highway, not to argue my opinion of my worst highway. We've logged probably 200,000 miles of motorhome/towing driving so that does warrant an opinion.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Absolute positively the worst road ever
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.