Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Used truck camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used truck camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
bgm1956

Independence MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am approaching retirement age and am starting to look for a used truck camper for my wife and I to enjoy. We also have two small dogs. We want to use it for travel and fishing trips. At this point I don't see us doing serious boondocking. We will be towing it pontoon boat on the fishing trips. I currently own a 2004 Chevy Silverado 3500 with a Duramax. I am currently considering the following campers. Lance 1172, Host Everest and Arctic Fox 1150 with the order listed being my current order of preference. How have these campers stood the test of time? How much more usable floor space does the above the bed rail design of the Host Everest give you over the Lance 1172? How bad does the extra height hamper mobility especially in high winds? How big of a problem is the rear entry door on the Arctic Fox 1150 when towing a trailer? Any other thoughts or suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those campers are really heavy. You are going to need a dually period to not overload the rear tires. Most folks would recommend a 450/4500 or 550/5500 to carry them. the newer campers with a rear landing pretty much eliminate the rear door access towing issues.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

bgm1956

Independence MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Those campers are really heavy. You are going to need a dually period to not overload the rear tires. Most folks would recommend a 450/4500 or 550/5500 to carry them. the newer campers with a rear landing pretty much eliminate the rear door access towing issues.

The 3500.is a dually. A bigger truck is not going to be in the budget.

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you aware that the TC's you desire all will weigh 5,000 lbs or very close to it or maybe even more when you add water, propane, a battery or two, food, personal items, pots an pans, canned goods, liquid foods and beverages, etc. Don't forget the weight of the leveling items needed, hookup items, some tools, and you might want a couple folding chairs for at the fire when you get back to your campsite. Your 3500 truck would have to be a dually rear wheel truck with airbags or overload type suspension addons just to safely handle the ready to travel TC alone.

Then, you want to tow a pontoon boat on a trailer with an outboard motor, Fuel, anchor etc and who knows what else. Likely the trailer/pontoon rig will weigh a min of 3,500 or 4,000 lbs with a tongue weight of 450 to 550 additional lbs on the rear and should have a class 5 - 2-1/2" receiver and a heavy 48" extension just to get the bumper ball hitch back behind the rear of the heavy TC. Honestly, you are adding another 650 to 750 lbs min on the back of your truck. The entire weight of these TC's is carried on the rear axle and the hitch setup and the tongue weight is then added on top of it. Will your truck handle that much weight? Haven't even added your occupants total weight yet or the dogs/food weight either.

The rear of your truck weighs 3000+ lbs unloaded. You really have some serious research and thinking to do before you buy one of those big heavy multiple slide out TC's and want to pull a pontoon boat behind also.

We personally have and use a lot our 2004 Chevy Duramax crew cab long box 4X4 with our 11'4" Lance Legend TC with NO slides on the single rear wheel truck and have since 2004. TC alone scale weighs 4,320 lbs total ready to go and it's maxed out on the truck as for weight. On the oversized E tire capacity too. Our Lance has a 3400 watt built in OEM generator and 3 group 31 deep cycle batteries and 60 lbs of propane.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

travelnutz

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was writinng my post when the OP replied as to being a dually. Please weigh your pontoon rig ready to launch to fish and revisit your capabilities. You are really pushing your limits.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgm1956 wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

The 3500.is a dually. A bigger truck is not going to be in the budget.

Maybe it’s the way you worded your response but to be clear, 3500 doesn’t automatically mean dually and it is a super important detail when it comes to truck campers.

Are there many used units to choose from out there? Chances are you’ll hear good and bad about all 3 models. Personally I’d choose whichever one is in the best shape if your choices are limited.

We tow with a 950 model camper but the trailer tongue has diamond plate which works for a step when connected. Also the door is offset to one side some which allows for a small step ladder (Little Jumbo) to sit nicely along side. I wouldn’t rule out a rear door automatically.

travelnutz

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, not a 1172 model but our lance Legend, new in 1997, has been fabulous and bullet proof and we still love it or we'd buy a new TC. Very well insulated, never any leaked, and have only had one needed replaced item. A new circuit board for the fridge in 2018. Not bad for 23 years of lots of usage!!! Well over 1000 nights and still counting. Our 3rd new Lance TC owned since the 1970's and all have been great. An 8', a 9-1/2', and our present big one.

bgm1956

Independence MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Maybe it’s the way you worded your response but to be clear, 3500 doesn’t automatically mean dually and it is a super important detail when it comes to truck campers.

Are there many used units to choose from out there? Chances are you’ll hear good and bad about all 3 models. Personally I’d choose whichever one is in the best shape if your choices are limited.

We tow with a 950 model camper but the trailer tongue has diamond plate which works for a step when connected. Also the door is offset to one side some which allows for a small step ladder (Little Jumbo) to sit nicely along side. I wouldn’t rule out a rear door automatically.

To be clear, my truck is a dually. I know about tire capacity and tow weight. I know I will be towards the upper end of the capacity of the truck. I've hauled enough hay and cattle to understand that. The pontoon boat is going to be an 18 ft. As far as availability, there are enough out there to choose from if you are patient. I appreciate your input.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgm1956 wrote:

wnjj wrote:

To be clear, my truck is a dually. I know about tire capacity and tow weight. I know I will be towards the upper end of the capacity of the truck. I've hauled enough hay and cattle to understand that. The pontoon boat is going to be an 18 ft. As far as availability, there are enough out there to choose from if you are patient. I appreciate your input.

Sorry, I worded my reply a bit confusing. I understand that you have a dually. It just reads a little funny that you said THE 3500 is a dually instead of MY 3500 or my truck is a dually. That, along with leaving it out of your first post made it seem like “3500” implied dually. I hope I don’t sound like I’m nit picking; that’s not my intent.

Trust me I have no issue with you having enough truck. I’ve hauled grain, hazelnuts and equipment as well and get what it means to load and work a truck. I also haul a 4k lb camper on a ‘05 SRW version of your truck with no problems. There are some on here that immediately suggest more truck no matter what someone asks.

As for the over the rails design, I don’t think the change in overall height is enough to really matter in the wind as these campers are all already plenty tall. One thing to consider is the taller staircase needed to climb into that style. I personally don’t think it’s worth it.

Good luck in your search.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 12:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will find that each owner will prize his model.
I own 2 TC in 12' size and when Fleetwood has more spacious design with more room under shower, I liked Lance 1162 for side entry.
Even when I loaded camper to 6300 lb, I had 9000 lb on rear axle, so 1000 lb to spare, but my truck has lighter aluminium bed.
I don't think pontoon boat will add any significant load, but make sure all heavy stuff (beer, anchors, chains) will get loaded in truck cabin.
Host will be probably the heaviest on the list.
My main advise with TC shopping >>> enter the shower, close the curtain and check if you can turn around without knocking anything down.
Then sit on the throne and make sure your legs are comfortable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Used truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.