Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Cable slide chatter and noise
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cable slide chatter and noise

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Everyboysmomma

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2016 Keystone Sprinter with a large slide that houses my fridge, stove, pantry and wardrobe. It is very heavy. It is really squealing and chattering on open and close. It is not out of alignment because it is completely straight in the opening via measured clearances. The rollers underneath are covered by a piece of gasket in, so nothing could have gotten into them. It doesn’t matter if we are in Maine or Florida, it does it regardless of temp.
Any ideas?

Stephen & Patt
2016 Keystone Sprinter 5th Wheel

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likely NOT the cable system. The rollers or pads that carry the slide may be dirty or mis-aligned. I would remove the "gasket" to which you referred and do an inspection on everything under the slide.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't say if it has always made this noise. If the noise started over time, then it is likely a wear item issue, or something needs lubricating. Being cable operated it would be a Schwintek system, that you may be able to google servicing of, to get some idea where to look/what to service.

Jerry

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know what type of gasket you are referring to but on mine is more of a seal wipe than gasket. If your slide is the flush mount type on the inside, then you will have two hinged rollers near each end. Inside the hinged roller are rubber blocks called compression blocks. It sounds like yours may have busted and some of the rubber is between the roller and the bottom of your slide. This will cause it to vibrate when going in and out. You can replace the rubber blocks yourself with a little patience and time.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

You didn't say if it has always made this noise. If the noise started over time, then it is likely a wear item issue, or something needs lubricating. Being cable operated it would be a Schwintek system, that you may be able to google servicing of, to get some idea where to look/what to service.

Jerry

Schwintek is not a cable system, it has gear racks mounted to the end of the slide. Cable systems are made by BAL. Plenty of maintenance and install info at the BAL Norco website and Uboob.

You need to find where the noise is coming from, may be as simple as greasing a bushing on one of the cable guide wheels.

Braces

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar problem after shop replaced bad motor and they alsoput somekind of lube on the bottom and sides of the slide. They talked with tech rep at BAL who advised cleaning the lube off the slide with a cleaning agent made by a company who makes commercial and janitorial cleaning products.Can't remember the name but I think it may be Zep. Shop cleaned the slide and no more problems. The original lube they used was a product that is commonly advertised as a slide lube.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cable slide chatter and noise
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.