Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Question about PC's..
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Question about PC's..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WITHOUT ! During a Black Friday sale I bought a USB 3 CD/DVD for about $30. You might have to tweak the BIOS to tell it to look there first if you are boot from it (recovery).

If you are going to try and fix the old one, now is a good time to upgrade from an "hard disk" (HDD) to a "solid state" (SSD) one. If you do two, things to watch for.

"You get what you pay for !" Pay the extra for a "professional" version. They have a better warranty. (Most new equipment does NOT come with the "professional" SSD.)

"Bigger is NOT better !" Unless you really need it, don't spend the money on a 1TB drive. 500MB is fine and with a bit of "conservation" 256MB is more than adequate.

Also, if you are buying new, you want an IPS display. MUCH better quality than any other type of LCD display available.

* This post was edited 01/24/20 03:14pm by theoldwizard1 *

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOthing wrong with a SSD Drive just make sure it's big enough to do some good.

You do need a drive

Now what does she use it for? Storing photos, Surfing the web, Facebook et-al. ONLY

Consider a Chrome book
WHy
Cheaper
Though equally hackable it's easier to fix
I pop a 128Gig "hard card" (MIcro SD card) in the side and I can store .. A lot

IF the thing gets "Sick" (A virus) and I've had it happen.. POWER WASH less than 5 minutes and I'm brand new (Save for the data that's still on the card)

Also can run limited Linux software two different ways but that's more for you than her

Very basic "Text Pad" can be added as well as all the major apps like LastPass, Swagbuchs, Honey Speil clunk..er, spell check. and more Also runs many android apps.

All in a box where you get major change back from $200

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

WITHOUT ! During a Black Friday sale I bought a USB 3 CD/DVD for about $30. You might have to tweak the BIOS to tell it to look there first if you are boot from it (recovery).

If you are going to try and fix the old one, now is a good time to upgrade from an "hard disk" (HDD) to a "solid state" (SSD) one. If you do two, things to watch for.

"You get what you pay for !" Pay the extra for a "professional" version. They have a better warranty. (Most new equipment does NOT come with the "professional" SSD.)

"Bigger is NOT better !" Unless you really need it, don't spend the money on a 1TB drive. 500MB is fine and with a bit of "conservation" 256MB is more than adequate.

Also, if you are buying new, you want an IPS display. MUCH better quality than any other type of LCD display available.

Win7 tower purchased 5-6 years ago. i use a 512mb SSD for my ‘C’ drive...just the OS and software thar doesn’t offer an option for custom install. then two 1-tb hard drives partitioned into programs, data files, music, photos and videos. all are image backed up on a series of external drives as well as the cloud.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the OP hasn’t checked back in. My question is can the DW do all she needs to do on a tablet? If she uses Windows based programs then perhaps it’s a good idea to stick with a Windows based PC. Otherwise I’d be looking at an iPad. I’ve relegated my Windows device to doing my taxes, EVERYTHING else can be done on my iPhone or iPad. Much better for doing day to day activities.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

So the OP hasn’t checked back in. My question is can the DW do all she needs to do on a tablet? If she uses Windows based programs then perhaps it’s a good idea to stick with a Windows based PC. Otherwise I’d be looking at an iPad. I’ve relegated my Windows device to doing my taxes, EVERYTHING else can be done on my iPhone or iPad. Much better for doing day to day activities.

The wife uses Windows programs do household finances, email, etc.. she has a Samsung Pad but won't do online finances with it..

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip the CD-DVD drive. Can always buy a USB device if you get desperate.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the Microsoft Surface Pro- personally, I hate Ms and Windows but my sister swears by it.

-- Chris Bryant

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

U can always add a CD drive to a USB slot

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

No CD/DVD drive necessary for my Computers. Get a cheap USB DVD drive and stash it for the
rare times you might need it. Will work with any computer.

That's what I did. I rarely need it, but when I do need it I just plug it in. And, if my computer wears out and I get a new one I can probably still use the external DVD drive.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

Check out the Microsoft Surface Pro- personally, I hate Ms and Windows but my sister swears by it.

In case anybody cares, I hate Apple and iOS.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Question about PC's..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.