Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Motorcycle on stock hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Motorcycle on stock hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

tarnold wrote:

For the anti rattle. Go to a home store and buy a pack of plastic wedge/shims used to install doors and windows. Jam the narrow end in the receiver and snap off if you want the excess. No more wiggle.

I prefer to use a large bolt with washers and nylon lock nut. Once tightened there is no chance of any rattles .Using pieces of wood sounds cheesy.

Unless you use a locking hitch pin (and I already had one failure on those) you risk losing or having someone tamper with the pin.
if you would PROPERLY read my post, I did say PLASTIC shims. And they do work.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you are correct. I’ll change my reply :
“ Using plastic shims sounds cheesy”
Thanks for the heads up.

FireGuard

Frazier Park

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

Yes, you are correct. I’ll change my reply :
“ Using plastic shims sounds cheesy”
Thanks for the heads up.

LOL !

13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Olddud

Lost in Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since plastic wedges are cheesy, would cutting them off as suggested infer a knee slapping funny saying?

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade but adding anything more than a scooter {read not a motorcycle} to the rear bumper is simply a disaster waiting to happen. The longer the overhang on a C the sooner it will happen. Most C's are limited to 5,000# of towing capacity and the hitch weights are even more restrictive. Even if you have a newer E450 rated to tow 7500# check your hitch weights carefully

Unless you beef up that hitch with some serious reinforcement/welding done my a very skilled tech you are going to be in for trouble. Think also of the weight redistribution placing 4 or 500# on the rear end. You will in all probability be overloading your rear axle and I guarantee you will be lightening up the front end a bunch {and not in a good way}.

The rear bumpers of a class C are truly it's weakest link and loading it up is never a good idea. If you want to bring a bike {read serious motorcycle...and I do} then do it right and invest in the proper trailer for your particular bike and coach.

I have had three trailers over the last 6 years and have towed everything from my BMW R80 RT in a homemade trailer {not ideal}, to my Harley Dyna Super Glide on a nice Kendon folding trailer with great results.

When I moved up to the Indian Springfield at 875# I outgrew the Kendon, sold it for what I paid and moved up to the ultimate trailer...

A 10' X 6' cargo trailer that is simply my new portable garage going everywhere I go and it not only keeps my Indian out of the weather, road debris and the prying eyes of bad guys it does double duty hauling Rzr when I am so inclined. Either way it tows like the proverbial dream and provides abundant additional storage. Fully loaded the bike and trailer weigh 2,220# the Rzr and trailer come in at 2,600#. I get about 9 mpg towing either way.

I cringe when I see generators and multi bicycle racks {much less a mid sized or larger motorcycle} on the rear bumpers of coaches and never follow them closely as they are all just a pothole away from a disaster that they will share with anyone close behind. [emoticon]

As always... opinions and YMMV.

This shot was taken last week at Rice Ranch in Quartzsite, for this trip the Polaris Rzr 570 was inside our next trip it will house the Indian:

[image]

[emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/30/20 03:45pm by Desert Captain *

SamanthaNichols

2046 Hillcrest Drive Tacoma, WA 98402

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 03:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before my current hitch, I used some other but I just satisfied with Hitch Tightener. It is easy to install and convenient to use even for a woman like me. Besides, it also can effectively control the rattle and sway. If you have plan to buy a hitch, don't hesitate to try it https://www.smartrving.net/best-anti-rattle-hitch-devices/

* This post was edited 05/30/20 06:57am by SamanthaNichols *

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion is that hanging 500 lbs on the rear hitch of a Class-C RV is asking for problems. The typical Class-C has extended frame rails to which the rear hitch it mounted. The 500 lbs mounted on the hitch could easily add 750 lbs to the rear axle and remove 250 lbs from the front axle causing both over-loading of the rear axle and too light weight on the front axle handling problems.

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

jls

canastota, ny

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have taken my Bike with the RV for several years. For my 2 cents a trailer for your bike is a good investment...

John and Pam
2018 Thor Chateau 22E
Ford Chassis
C90T Suzuki Motorcycle
#9 TO THE FRONT

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front-mount hitch receivers are a great option for taking a dirt bike. Keeps the the front axle loaded, keeps from overloading the rear axle, and you can see if a strap works loose. Headlights shine through the wheels, but I did add a set of marker lights and turn signals to my rack. My rack is from DiscountRamps.com

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Motorcycle on stock hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.