Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Looking for revelstoke recommendations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Looking for revelstoke recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
hedge

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there's also the KOA, not the greatest but there's a pool in the campground the kids may enjoy. We'e also stayed at the one N of Revy on the dam reservoir but the name escapes me at the moment.

2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Williams Lake is nice, and has all the amenities.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

morley

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hedge wrote:

there's also the KOA, not the greatest but there's a pool in the campground the kids may enjoy. We'e also stayed at the one N of Revy on the dam reservoir but the name escapes me at the moment.

You are thinking of Martha Creek Prov. Park which is a very nice provincial park on the Lake Revelstoke reservoir. But no services and about 20 minutes north of Revelstoke.

2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

canadafan

Norfolk UK

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The KOA campground is now a privately owned campground called 'Revelstoke Campground' a little to congested for me, but near to Hwy 1 and Revelstoke NP.

Trevor

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

personaly I would stay at either crazy creek hotsprings or canyon hot springs. but thats just me, both close to revelstoke but you can soak away all day if you like.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Kevinwa

Western canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 12:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SideHillSoup wrote:

Is there a particular reason you want to spend 2 weeks in Revelstoke? I can think of a lot of other places close by that in my opinion are much better places to camp.
Soup.

It will be two weeks total, with drive, so probably ten days. Last year we did fernie and loved it. Year before Radium, Waterton the year before that. My wife doesn’t love traveling every few days, prefers to get to know a place really well.
Reasons for revelstoke:
mountain biking. I did Frisby ridge oct 1 last year and can’t wait to go back. Also really excited for 5620 at the mountain resort. 5620 feet vertical over 15 km. Currently the longest mtb flow trail in the world.
Railway museum and dam tour with the kids.
Enchanted forest.
Friends in golden as we pass through
Friends in salmon arm to visit once or twice.

It seams like a nice central location with lots to do with young kids. Our vacations are usually pretty laid back. I am open to other suggestions as well, kind of just slowly working our way into bc and experiencing it one place as a time. I would love to go to the Kelowna Vernon shushwap type area also one day, don’t know where to stay there either.

* This post was edited 01/30/20 01:06am by Kevinwa *

Kevinwa

Western canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 12:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

morley wrote:

Lamplighter for sure, really great owners, good location, lived in Revy for almost 25 years, lots to see and do. Take the kids on the Pipe Coaster at Revelstoke ski hill they will have a hoot. Great mountain biking, hiking sight seeing in the area. Pool at the recreation centre is second to none for the kids. Lots of great places to eat. Need any thing further PM me.
Enjoy yourself,
Morley

For sure, thanks! I’m pretty excited. I love a destination that I can mountain bike and still has stuff for the kids!
Kevin

Kevinwa

Western canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 12:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Lamplighter! Absolutely the best hosts ever.

Knocked the engine out of the TV 2 summers ago on the Rogers Pass. Got towed into Revy, wound up spending 2 weeks at the Lamplighter.
While it my not be the most modern, it is a very comfy place.

The hosts are over the top friendly and helpful. 5 stars to all the staff. I can't say enough good about these folks. They are the best I have ever encountered.

The trains? Well, if you don't want to hear a train, don't go to Revelstoke. The town was born by the railway. While you are there, be sure to visit the railway museum. It is fascinating.

Take in the village farmers market downtown too.
Lots of cool little shops and restaurants are there too.
Make sure to take a tour of the Revelstoke Dam too. Doesn't costmmuch and you get a narrated tour through the place. Very cool!

And in case I didn't mention it, check out the Lamplighter!

I was actually thinking of your adventure when I was looking through revy campgrounds. I remember reading it as it happened. As a power engineer who works in a steam plant for a living the Dam fascinates me. I would love to take a tour!

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevinwa wrote:

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Lamplighter! ......snip

I was actually thinking of your adventure when I was looking through revy campgrounds. I remember reading it as it happened. As a power engineer who works in a steam plant for a living the Dam fascinates me. I would love to take a tour!

Yes, my adventure! But rather than focus on the 10 thousand dollar hit to my wallet, and the cancellation of a wonderful planned holiday, We learned something.
Revelstoke used to be a place you pass through on your way to some place nice. Maybe stop for gas and a coffee. That was it.

My eyes were opened and we made a great holiday of it there. If you travel right through the town and keep going, there is a wonderful drive way out along the lake. It goes for many miles before it dead ends. I didn't know it existed. There are several areas of fancy new homes there that we drove through and looked at. Again, never knew it existed. There is a small airport out there too.

Would I go back? Yes, absolutely. We even discussed moving there in our retirement. The locals are very nice, friendly people. Everywhere we went, every store and even the place I had the truck towed to for repair evaluation greeted us with a warm cheerful smile and super friendly attitude.

A couple pics of our stay there in our Tango!

[image]

[image]

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of nice friendly people...

See in my second pic, past the Tango to the left the nice new Dodge pickup?

Well the owner heard of my plight and the Tango sitting at the tow yard. He came to the Lamplighter office, greeted me with a smile and said c'mon, I'll go over and tow your trailer here for you.
So he did. He pulled in close to the spot we are set up there, got out of his truck and beckoned me to the drivers seat. Here, use my truck and position your rig. Park it over there when done.

Wow, amazing wonderful fellow RVer.

So I did just that. And when I tried to pay him, he refused to accept anything.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Looking for revelstoke recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.