Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Trailer Tires - And THANKS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> New Trailer Tires - And THANKS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least someone here has decided the ENDURANCE is a credible tire now that it has made it to three full years on the market with stellar results. [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

What pressure will you be running them at?

Any advice?? I am used to using 50PSI on my old tires, but these can handle up to 65PSI. I don't need them to carry the maximum weight that they are capable of. I believe I'll be at about 75% of maximum weight.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

At least someone here has decided the ENDURANCE is a credible tire now that it has made it to three full years on the market with stellar results. [emoticon]

LOL..if thats pointed at me I've always recommended the new gen Endurance when someone wanted a ST tire. What I've also said 2-3 years on the market does not tell us how the tires service life will be.
The Maxxis at first was touted as the holy grail and was the go to tire for trailers of all the C/D/E ST tires but after 3-5 years issues started popping up when their numbers on the road/miles of service increased. The Endurance may or may not follow the Maxxis but only miles of service will tell its story.

Hellz... lots of folks ran the old Marathons for just three years with no issues.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wanted to have some fun.

You were always quick to say 1 or 2 years on the market was not enough time to prove reliable. But since they have made it to 3 years no one seems to be questioning time on the market.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

Hopefully they balanced the tires too.

Ditto on balancing.

Here's a short video I did a few years ago about trailer tire balancing.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

That would be me.

Former tire engineer with a major manufacturer who tracked returns and developed algorithms to predict return rates. My experience said that after 2 years in the market, you could predict the return rate for structural failures - which peaked in the third or fourth year.

Since no one has reported a Goodyear Endurance ST tire failure in 3 years (They entered the market in the fall of 2016), my prediction is that there will not be any design failures until the tires age out. (We don't know when that will be.)

Please note: That even the best designed tire can suffer from road hazards (punctures and impacts) and those types of failures are difficult for the average person to diagnose. Ergo, people will report tire failures and blame it on the make/model tire even if the cause is not tied to the make/model. Been there, done that! That's why we examined every reported failure for root cause.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply!

You actually felt the tire was credible last year. I have saved some of your comments from the past for the nay sayers! [emoticon]

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s only a matter of time before someone picks up a nail, runs low and throws a belt or... pulls into a station and drags the hot tires over the curb unknowingly starting a belt separation. The tire victim will post numerous pictures of the fuzzy bead clinging to the rim while swearing to never buy a GY tire again.
Keep them aired up and covered when not in use. Minus road hazard, should get 5-7 years out of them if you don’t wear them out sooner.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 106k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

You actually felt the tire was credible last year. I have saved some of your comments from the past for the nay sayers! [emoticon]

First, structural tire failures in the winter months are almost non-existent. The last month where you might see a few is October. They start up again in May.

So, yes, I made that prediction in October of 2019 after the season was over. Nothing magical. Just the facts.

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

First, structural tire failures in the winter months are almost non-existent. The last month where you might see a few is October. They start up again in May.

So, yes, I made that prediction in October of 2019 after the season was over. Nothing magical. Just the facts.

Just for my own curiosity what does your data show on the new Carlisle Radial Trial HD? I had these on the previous trailer for about a year without any issues and have not notice any failures mentioned on the forums so just wondering if these tires are better now too.

Rob

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> New Trailer Tires - And THANKS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.