Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Karaoke & Sing-along around Campfires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Karaoke & Sing-along around Campfires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't remember getting annoyed about acoustic music. But I hate to hear you if you need a amp.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our family camp host for a couple months each year at a local state park. We have the months of May and August, so the weather is usually pretty good for both of these. Several years ago, it was the last weekend before school started and the place was packed. One of our campgrounds is site specific and the other requires reservations to guarantee a spot, but not any specific site. On Friday evening, a large family had 5 different sites booked into the non-specific campground. They did not arrive until about 7 pm, and most everyone else was already set up. They started out becoming upset because they couldn't be together. (This was NOT their first time camping here, so they knew the rules). On Friday night, with arriving later in the evening, they were still making dinner when it got dark (9ish). 10 pm is quiet time. As host, I did swing by and just remind them and others of this fact. They had large spotlights set up around their tents and were traipsing through others sites. On Saturday morning, there were a couple of complaints made to me, the office and to the rangers. I spoke to the woman that had the reservations in her name and tried to explain that much of the complaints were not written rules, but just campground etiquette about not cutting through others sites, etc. At 12:30 on Saturday night, I had a knock at my door and a couple apologized, but said there was a group doing karaoke in the campground.....with speakers and microphones. I started to head to that campground (we have two), then thought better of it. I called the ranger, who was actually waiting on me to call with a problem. (He said he had not taken his uniform off yet). After hanging up, DH and I walked over to the top of the hill where we could see down into the campground and there were 3 women sitting under the spotlights under their picnic tent singing away and not really on key. We could also hear something else that sounded like it was coming from the other campground. The ranger arrived and went down to talk to the women and told them if there were other complaints, they would be required to pack up and leave immediately. He walked on down toward the other campground to investigate the other noises and they were coming from the playground where the teen sons of the women doing karaoke....playing on the playground equipment with big sticks, using them as drums. It was a very "happening" evening and we have had no other occurrences of karaoke AFTER quiet hours. Before quiet hours, there is always some type of music in the park. Some good, some not so good; but we do live in a major bluegrass region of the south.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@JRscooby - indeed, an amp with stadium sized speakers are a no-no in campgrounds situations -- well, unless they have an event in their Rec building and other campers are sufficiently notified, err, warned ahead. And then again, they should conclude by quiet time.

A friend rigged his laptop to a small TV screen, a tiny amp, two mics and computer speakers and I think that's appropriate for RV-camping set up although we never thought to getting ourselves that system. We are both a reader during evenings or whip up my guitar for a few songs when in the mood (and that's not even slightly decent for a public audience, lol).

@Merrykala - Thanks for sharing and I think it was well handled. On all my camping, people are mostly respectful of quiet time and camping protocols, once explained and understood and sometimes people just need to be reminded.

I remember one camping in the forested public campground in Lake Tahoe. A group nearby was having drinks and karaoke about 5 campsite from us. They are a bit rowdy and loud. But they shutdown at quiet time -- save a few more giggling.

roaminaround

Bend, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven’t experienced karaoke in the actual campground, only in a clubhouse. However we always look for folks who play music. Lots of snowbird parks have a vibrant jam session or music community. I play and sing and find it to be a great addition to the rv lifestyle. Great way to meet folks as well.

[image]

2019 Rockwood 2608BS
2018 Ford F250 6.7 diesel
2006 Fish Rite 18' Yamaha 115 and T8

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite campground sing along occurred many years ago at a Connecticut State Park campground. One Friday afternoon, a local RV dealer hauled a high end bumper pull TT in and set it up on a site near the community fire ring. We didn't see anyone come in to occupy it, but late at night there were lights on and there was luxury rental car parked by it in the morning. Right after dinner time on Saturday, the park folks lit up the large central fire as usual and a few folks brought over lawn chairs to sit and chat. The next thing we knew, a couple came from the new TT and sat down with an acoustic guitar. After strumming a few notes the fellow began to sing, and it didn't take long for us to figure out that he didn't just kind of look like John Denver, it was in fact John Denver along with his then wife Annie! It wasn't long before practically everyone in the park was joining in singing along. Quiet time came and went without a single complaint that I heard about. We finally broke up about midnight, and early the next morning they were gone and the dealer was packing up the TT. I have some pictures taken well before digital cameras, but they're not among the ones I've scanned yet...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never heard anyone doing karaoke. But back when we tented there was often someone with a guitar, sometimes 2, playing and having sing alongs. Tenting is just different. You spend almost all of your time outside, even if it's raining.

With an RV you have another option. We still spend a lot of time outside. We do most of our cooking over a campfire. But also don't mind going inside if it's really cold out and watching a movie.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

My favorite campground sing along occurred many years ago at a Connecticut State Park campground. One Friday afternoon, a local RV dealer hauled a high end bumper pull TT in and set it up on a site near the community fire ring. We didn't see anyone come in to occupy it, but late at night there were lights on and there was luxury rental car parked by it in the morning. Right after dinner time on Saturday, the park folks lit up the large central fire as usual and a few folks brought over lawn chairs to sit and chat. The next thing we knew, a couple came from the new TT and sat down with an acoustic guitar. After strumming a few notes the fellow began to sing, and it didn't take long for us to figure out that he didn't just kind of look like John Denver, it was in fact John Denver along with his then wife Annie! It wasn't long before practically everyone in the park was joining in singing along. Quiet time came and went without a single complaint that I heard about. We finally broke up about midnight, and early the next morning they were gone and the dealer was packing up the TT. I have some pictures taken well before digital cameras, but they're not among the ones I've scanned yet...

Wow, just wow!!![emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

That's the ultimate in sing-a-along and certainly a experience of a lifetime.

You are so lucky and it can only happen to very few others.

* This post was edited 02/19/20 11:47am by an administrator/moderator *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

I've never heard anyone doing karaoke. But back when we tented there was often someone with a guitar, sometimes 2, playing and having sing alongs. Tenting is just different. You spend almost all of your time outside, even if it's raining.

With an RV you have another option. We still spend a lot of time outside. We do most of our cooking over a campfire. But also don't mind going inside if it's really cold out and watching a movie.

Yeah, there seems to be more of the guitar singing around the campfire on tent sites.

Hear a few inside their RVs and some so good I wish they go out so we can gawk, lol.

HannahFelly

Elk Grove Village

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 02:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't feel like anything is lost from the experience just because this isn't a common thing anymore. There are still those who practice it and others who don't, it's normal, it's not necessarily a matter of being comfier inside, but rather for some it seems not that safe to just sit with complete strangers. And they're not to blame for this mentality, honestly.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always travel with my guitar. I'm always trying to improve my playing, which means I have to "practice" every day. When camping, I generally bring the guitar outside.

Years ago, I was playing next to a campfire at Yellowstone, in the Norris Basin campground. At a minute past 8:00PM the host came over and told me to knock it off, because it was now "quiet hours." Sheesh.

Last spring, at a campsite in Fort DeSoto Park Campground near St. Petersburg FL, the neighbor's dog howled (inside their RV) every time I was playing. Again - sheesh.

I'm a pretty good guitarist, although the evidence in these two stories would suggest otherwise.

I'm always happy when someone stops by and enjoys the music or joins in.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Karaoke & Sing-along around Campfires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.