Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New Thor subsidiary to use European manufacturing methods
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Thor subsidiary to use European manufacturing methods

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gonzo42 wrote:

As an engineer involved in two transitions to ISO 9001 standard in manufacturing, I consider it a huge leap in the both quality and efficiency. If this company is really interested in these two benefits, I say, "go for it".

It matters not what location, work force, or ethnicity is involved. Good solid procedures and inspections protocol make consistent quality products.

I totally agree with this statement, because quality control involves multi stage inspections.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

I can't help but wonder if nothing will change until they change the physical location where RV's are made. No matter what you do to improve, you still have the same workforce with all of the problems and habits they have.

Mike
It's not the workforce - it's managements inability/failure to/just not caring about training them correctly. I've done it with worse - think dirt farmers in Olive Branch Mississippi

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

Gonzo42 wrote:

As an engineer involved in two transitions to ISO 9001 standard in manufacturing, I consider it a huge leap in the both quality and efficiency. If this company is really interested in these two benefits, I say, "go for it".

It matters not what location, work force, or ethnicity is involved. Good solid procedures and inspections protocol make consistent quality products.

I totally agree with this statement, because quality control involves multi stage inspections.

I disagree, you cannot inspect quality into a product. You design for quality, buy quality materials and assemble with a quality workforce.

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor, you are correct, but ISO 9000 protocols demand strict, acccurate procedures not just for the manufacturing process itself, but every activity within the company that involved the products. Design reviews are part of it. One must design not only for function, but for service. This last part is what I see in military designs but sadly lacking in commercial designs.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

neal10a

Madison CT

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is most interesting that significantly more European and Asian companies are members of ISO9000 than American. I wounder why that is :-) I don't know if this new Thor add-on is.

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Demming, an American, taught the Japanese "lean manufacturing" at the end of WW II. Deming The Germans learned from Japan and now we (Americans) are learning from them? Too bad we didn't listen in the '50s!

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gonzo42 wrote:

Lynnmor, you are correct, but ISO 9000 protocols demand strict, acccurate procedures not just for the manufacturing process itself, but every activity within the company that involved the products. Design reviews are part of it. One must design not only for function, but for service. This last part is what I see in military designs but sadly lacking in commercial designs.

I have had ISO 9000 training and understand it well. In large part the system is just burdensome paperwork to entertain those that are not the hands on producers.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread reminded me of a post a year or so ago, was it Grand design that opened a facility to take all units there to be inspected before delivery.
I haven't heard anything since the about this.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

Walaby wrote:

I can't help but wonder if nothing will change until they change the physical location where RV's are made. No matter what you do to improve, you still have the same workforce with all of the problems and habits they have.

Mike
It's not the workforce - it's managements inability/failure to/just not caring about training them correctly. I've done it with worse - think dirt farmers in Olive Branch Mississippi

2012Coleman, thats just 10 miles south of me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Thor subsidiary to use European manufacturing methods
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.