Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Would You Camp at a Place Like This??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

Senior Member

Joined: 10/13/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/06/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

All about personal preference. We would as we never camp at sardine parks

Ditto


There is something special about camping in an RV.
.


BCSnob

Middletown, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2002

View Profile



Posted: 02/06/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Continuing the Airbnb vs hotel argument; here is something Airbnb offers to hosts
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/937/what-is-host-protection-insurance

And guidance Airbnb provides to hosts
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1376/responsible-hosting-in-the-united-states

General regulations

What local regulations apply to me?

Taxes

Ensure you look up any local taxes or business license requirements that may apply. This may include things like hotel/transient occupancy tax, sales, and other turnover taxes such as Value Added Tax (VAT) or Goods and Services Tax (GST), or income tax.

Permits or registrations

Ensure you look up any permitting, zoning, safety, and health regulations that may apply. The governing authorities that regulate the use and development of property in your area may have useful information on such regulations.

* This post was edited 02/06/20 02:20pm by BCSnob *

ependydad

Here and there

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/06/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

But how do you expect people to find these sites in the first place? You surely can't afford to advertise with only two sites to potentially generate income.

...

Doubtful you are able to take credit cards, so are you going to be strictly cash?


Couple of thoughts to 2 specific items:

I think HipCamp may be a viable advertising option. I know I've looked there a fair amount.

And for credit cards, Square is a perfectly viable option for small time credit card acceptance. My wife uses it in her crafting business.


2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page


pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/06/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

Would you camp at a place like this?

*Quiet, Private land holding only one or 2 other RVs, if any. You might have the whole thing to yourself.

*Full Hookups, but absolutely no facilities. Just your campsite.

*Within an hour (or even much less) of major destinations like the beach, Disney, a big city, or other attractions. Grocery stores close by too.

*Same price as a big, crowded campground with pools and neighbors packed in next to you. $50-$80 a night depending on location.

Basically, very private, relaxing camping instead of being in a small village of RVs with all the commotion and neighbors.

Please tell me why you would or wouldn't like this. If you'd use it or not.

Thank you!


Yes I would ... if the place where I could park and camp with the motorhome was right at places like these:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

westernrvparkowner

montana

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2008

View Profile



Posted: 02/06/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

I assume your business plan includes just ignoring the mundane things actual park owners have to contend with. Things like liability insurance, permits, licenses, inspections, environmental rules, water testing etc. I suppose the "I hope nothing goes wrong" approach may work for a two site park, or it may not. If it does work, no problem, if it doesn't, only you know what you can lose. If you have assets, being sued for a few hundred thousand because someone tripped and broke their hip may or may not be a big hit. If you are otherwise broke, too bad for the injured party.
But how do you expect people to find these sites in the first place? You surely can't afford to advertise with only two sites to potentially generate income. Even if you do some basic advertising, most people are going to just discount everything you say about the place and assume it is really just someone looking to collect $50 in exchange for allowing them to park in their driveway. If getting there requires turning off the main roads and down side streets, alleys and country lanes you lose a big percentage of potential customers. Very few people are going to take a two site park seriously. Today, with the internet, it is easy to research places to stay even while traveling down the road. For almost everyone, an unknown place with two sites in the middle of who knows where for $50.00 isn't a chance they are going to take.
How do you plan on collecting the site fees? Are you going to be there every day and night 365 days a year? Doubtful you are able to take credit cards, so are you going to be strictly cash? Our real life experience is that less than 10% of customers pay in currency, if it wasn't for our ability to accept credit and debit cards we would be out of business instantly. There are a whole lot of roadblocks for something like you propose to actually work out. Good Luck.


Said by an RV park owner. Ha ha ha. That's like a hotel owner posting their opinion about AirBNB.

Nothing but sour grapes and fear.

You'd probably say the same thing to someone opening a competing RV park in your town too.

Well, you're 100% wrong on nearly everything you posted.
Good to see an expert has chimed in. To think I have been in business for 20+ years and never realized I actually didn't need to have permits, insurance, licenses or the need to actually follow all the rules and regulations the state laid out for operating a RV Park. This proposed new park in Florida is actually something that will cause me to lose sleep, I mean Florida first and before you know it all fifty states will be awash in two site parks. It will only take about 250 of them near my parks to suck up all the business.
Obviously, You have hit upon the business plan that will completely disrupt the RV park industry. You saw right thru my phony red herrings about regulations and costs and saw right away my post was an attempt tamp down the firestorm that will eventually engulf the entire RV Park industry, leave my parks a vast landscape of vacant sites and send me to the poor house. Can you really blame me for trying to keep the date of my demise as far into the future as possible?
Just one quick question, however. If you know so much about RV parks to know everything I posted was 100% wrong, why did you feel the need to start a post questioning whether or not your park idea would work? And since you know that my post was only about sour grapes because RV park owners are threatened by your business plan, wouldn't it follow that all the RV parks near you will go out of their way to make sure your business fails, and hopefully fail spectacularly?

* This post was edited 02/06/20 05:36pm by westernrvparkowner *

westernrvparkowner

montana

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2008

View Profile



Posted: 02/06/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Continuing the Airbnb vs hotel argument; here is something Airbnb offers to hosts
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/937/what-is-host-protection-insurance

And guidance Airbnb provides to hosts
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1376/responsible-hosting-in-the-united-states

General regulations

What local regulations apply to me?

Taxes

Ensure you look up any local taxes or business license requirements that may apply. This may include things like hotel/transient occupancy tax, sales, and other turnover taxes such as Value Added Tax (VAT) or Goods and Services Tax (GST), or income tax.

Permits or registrations

Ensure you look up any permitting, zoning, safety, and health regulations that may apply. The governing authorities that regulate the use and development of property in your area may have useful information on such regulations.
See Had Enough's previous post and you will understand that none of that really applies. He is the true expert on the subject, by his own admission.

gbopp

The Keystone State

Senior Member

Joined: 08/03/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/06/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I would camp at a place like that but, not at those prices.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/07/20 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tdiller wrote:

I would not use it. If it's the same price as the KOA with all the amenities, I'll take the KOA. Now if the price were half that of the KOA I would use it.
I mostly stay at COE campgrounds anyway and don't need or want to pay for the pool and arcade or onsite store. Plus with my America the Beautiful pass I pay about half the going rate of COE campgrounds.


Up where I summer 50 a night would not even cover a tent site at the KOA. 90-100 for a class A.

I might consider it. but I do agree price too high for my liking .


Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377


HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/07/20 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok. Thanks for all the feedback.

Seems it may work, but it's not a complete home run. That's why I asked here.

One big variable is price. I think that depends heavily on location. It's $120/night to stay in a parking lot in Jersey City, NJ with quick access to NYC. It's booked nearly solid too. Can't determine the price of the KOA nearby to where I am in Florida since it's sold out for the next 6 weeks and the site only shows pricing if they have a spot. Not a single spot or day available on their calendar. If I look in Montana or something, low prices and plenty of availability. So we are all talking from a huge variety of backgrounds in price here. Those were some beautiful pics above of the BLM type camping. That's definitely the dream. I'd prefer that too. But I guess some people like NYC and Florida too, given they are completely sold out and/or $120/night. So location dictates price.

As to the park owner, I already own 2 other small businesses. Haven't worked at any other company aside from my own since before the turn of the century so we can let that ridiculous part of the thread go. Found it particularly funny he was all sour grapes just like a hotel owner would be toward an airBNB. Owns one small businesses but assumes I'm either "dirt poor" or shady because he's frightened. That alone makes me think I'm into something. Ha ha.

I'd personally like something like this myself since I'd never stay at a campground. I don't like all the neighbors and activity. I boondock if I'm urban or rural, but would prefer a nice campsite, especially visiting a new area or somewhere that I have a lot of plans for exploring. It gets annoying trying to find a spot to boondock in congested areas. Plus hookups are great.

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess the market reaction is "meh". It's funny because I'd never use Harvest Hosts because I don't want to buy stuff or have long chats with the hosts. I want small, individual, private campsites without all the people involved. It doesn't exist.

But it seems I'm pretty much the only one that feels this way.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/07/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SP & COE type CGs are the prefered types of park here too. Don't need water or a dump at the site for less than 6 night stays. Don't need bathroom or showers either. Self contained for all of that. 30amp power is good however 20amp is good enough if weather is mild.

Nope, not paying a premium price to have FHU & privacy. Westernparkowner is correct. There are lots of overheads to running a business & a CG is no exception. Liability insurance being a biggie.

There are cheap options like Harvest Hosts where camping for a night or so is free but you are expected to contribute by buying something.


Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.