Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Renting out your RV--Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Renting out your RV--Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

classic_rider wrote:

Wow. That was not the response I was expecting.I'm sorry if I offended anyone. ..............

Yes, it can get very snarky very fast here. One starts it and the lemmings pile on. Many blame the slow demise of the forum on that very fact.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

classic_rider wrote:

Wow. That was not the response I was expecting.I'm sorry if I offended anyone. ..............

Yes, it can get very snarky very fast here. One starts it and the lemmings pile on. Many blame the slow demise of the forum on that very fact.

This is the sad truth. Lots of keyboard bullys, insecurity and chronically constipated posters here.
I'm on several forums and this one is the worst for this.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Maybe there is no need to write another article?

Best are the true first hand stories. I will suggest the OP should start renting out the RV as frequently as possible. Be fearless.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

classic_rider wrote:

I don't want to rely on the owners a rental company would hand pick to share their experiences with me. I was hoping to get honest data from real people.

I would expect someone who has a dozen units and hundreds of rentals per year to be more unbiased than an individual who did it once and had a bad experience (or good experience if that's possible).

Really, they are doing it with a proper business plan and have a much better idea of the costs involved.

PS: Rental company owners are real people.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a general rule, big rental fleets have purpose built rental units. Since people renting them don't have a clue, they try to minimize the items that will get broken due to inexperience. Unlike most regular rvs, rentals generally do not have slides, awnings, auto bunks, power stairs, or anything at all automated that will get broken. Even something as simple as a black tank flush can be a recipe for disaster. I saw one rental beside us that got flooded completely when they hooked up the water to the black tank flush, and left. The neighbor shut the water off when he noticed it pouring out the door. For these reasons, and many others, normal people generally don't rent "normal" rvs. Some may take a chance, but Im going to guess most don't have a positive experience.

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The typical Rv has paper walls, flimsy plumbing, paper thin finishes on all trim, holding tanks that can overflow and destroy the inside in seconds. Only a specially made Rv could withstand the very inexperienced rental.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

classic_rider

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone who has responded, and for the links.It is an interesting idea to rent my RV myself and add an experiential element, but with a 22 year-old Class C, I doubt that I'd get many takers :-)

The focus of the article is privately owned rentals, specifically renting through peer-to-peer share agencies since that is a fast-growing segment of the industry, as opposed to renting all by yourself. I did speak to someone from one of the nationwide fleet rental companies just to get an idea of how they work, and they stressed that their RVs are (as someone else mentioned) specifically designed to be renter-friendly, which won't be true of most privately owned RVs.

The articles out there are mostly opinion pieces or very general reviews of pros and cons; I'm looking at doing more of a cost/benefit anaylsis with specific suggestions on "renter-proofing" your RV for those who want to try renting with a service. I am hoping to get enough experienced rental owners to offer a balanced view of the pros and cons. Two peer-to-peer agencies have offered to provide contacts, but ideally I'd like some independent views as well.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

classic_rider wrote:

Wow. That was not the response I was expecting.I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I prefer to do research in person, but I don't know anyone who has rented out their RV, and I don't want to rely on the owners a rental company would hand pick to share their experiences with me. I was hoping to get honest data from real people.
So let's start over. My name is Ann Eichenmuller. I write the "Classic Ride" column for MotorHome as well as articles for boating publications. You can find out more about me at www.anneichenmuller.org. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.
I believe the owners of a rental company would be glad to share their experiences with a qualified journalist. If you don't have those bona fides, then you are probably correct, they aren't going to just help out potential competition. I will return to a point I made in my first post, one off, anecdotal stories do not make for an accurate appraisal of how any industry or activity will play out. If all you want to do is write a story about nightmare experiences people have had renting out their RVs (and that would be a nice black comedy story) then ask for people to relay to you those bad experiences. But if you are trying to determine the financial viability of renting out personal RVs, you have to gather statistically viable data and you can't do that just by asking for random personal experiences.

Yankee Clipper

Cairo, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My take on the subject: I'd rather rent out my toothbrush. JMHO

Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS, Duke the overgrown Boxer mascot/lousy watch dog
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

classic_rider wrote:

Thanks to everyone who has responded, and for the links.It is an interesting idea to rent my RV myself and add an experiential element, but with a 22 year-old Class C, I doubt that I'd get many takers :-)
Actually that is perfect. You can start with all the preparation to clean fix and repair the old goat. Price it at half the competition to get some takers. Then after a year you will have many stories. Conclude with the repairs to get it back into shape for you to go out again.

Could make it into a monthly blog. Best of luck.

Who knows, you might rake in enough cash to trade up at the end...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Renting out your RV--Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.