Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: DRW vs SRW
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DRW vs SRW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

My tires run when I am towing at about 98% capacity ...

What most are missing is the fact that when ANYONE puts a capacity on something, that does NOT mean that as you get close, you shouldn't do it...

It simply means that whatever is being rated has been tested to perform at that particular weight.. safely under proper conditions.

If an overhead crane is rated at 3 ton, you can lift 3 ton all day, everyday and as long as you don't abuse the equipment, your good to go.

My big trucks are rated at 80,000# ... we run at that weight almost daily

I look at tires the same way...

*** DISCLAIMER *** It is Just my opinion on the subject.....

Well said!

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

So these NUMBERS really need to be understood and NOT taken at face value.

So what is an acceptable percentage to you?

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW,

For about 10 years, we had a big 5th wheel that (in my view and per my math) required a dually. So my daily driver was a dually F350 and the wife had a Prius.

Fast forward to our now non-RV days: Current fleet includes a dually F350, dually with dump bed F550 dump truck, a SRW F250, and the Jeep Liberty that has replaced the Prius. I still routinely (not daily) drive the F550 and F350. The width makes it a PITA compared to the Jeep Liberty, but the handling challenge comes from the length more than the width.

Would I rather drive the Jeep Liberty around town? Sure. Would I rather drive the Jeep Wrangler on the trail. Sure. ...but if I have a big towing job and the dually is the right rig, I wouldn't get an SRW just because of the "dually" issue. If I could get by with a 6'6" bedded SRW, I'd certainly go with that vs. a dually, but if the choice is long-bed SRW vs. long-bed Dually, the handling issue will be created by length, not so much by the hips.

All IMHO anyway.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford is running a add about towing 13K with a F-150. Now this isn't the F-150 that everyone has in their driveway. But people hear that on TV, then go to the RV dealer. Sales guy says "sure you can" tow that 11K 35' trailer. They then load 4 people, a dog, 3 coolers, and some firewood. They didn't read the fine print, just the headline.
If there is that 13K RV trailer that is towable by a F-150 and do it within specs, it's out back somewhere with the unicorns

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

What Cummins is getting at is that the new SRW trucks are rated to tow some heavy trailers, up to 22000 lbs which might be no problem if you're hauling a gooseneck equipment trailer where you can position the load in such a way as to not overload the truck's rear axle, but, if you're wanting to tow a 22000 lb tandem axle fiver with your new SRW you might be very disappointed to find out the 5000 lb pin weight of your fiver will cause the rear axle weight rating of your truck to be exceeded by 1200 lbs.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

blofgren wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Some have 18000 lb or larger fivers and need a dually. Some have large egos and need a dually. Others think a dually has something to offer over a SRW truck for a small trailer and therefore buy a dually. Its surprising there is anyone left for a SRW.

Nothing to do with ego here; I've pulled with both and there is a noticeable difference in stability with the dually. [emoticon]

Yes, this makes sense. If someone is a little unstable I can see why he might buy a dually to tow a 5ver under 16k.[emoticon]

OK, I'll give you that one; I think this forum tends to make people a little unstable.....[emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

My tires run when I am towing at about 98% capacity ...

What most are missing is the fact that when ANYONE puts a capacity on something, that does NOT mean that as you get close, you shouldn't do it...

It simply means that whatever is being rated has been tested to perform at that particular weight.. safely under proper conditions.

If an overhead crane is rated at 3 ton, you can lift 3 ton all day, everyday and as long as you don't abuse the equipment, your good to go.

My big trucks are rated at 80,000# ... we run at that weight almost daily

I look at tires the same way...

*** DISCLAIMER *** It is Just my opinion on the subject.....

YEP!

Things have a factor that have a rating. They don’t fail at 1 pound over.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Bottom line is what the trucks rear axle is rated for. What does the truck rear axle weigh ready to tow? Take the difference. That is your MAX pin weight. Tandem axle multiply that number by 4. That is what your RV can weigh ready to travel. Details based on 25% pin.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

philh wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

What Cummins is getting at is that the new SRW trucks are rated to tow some heavy trailers, up to 22000 lbs which might be no problem if you're hauling a gooseneck equipment trailer where you can position the load in such a way as to not overload the truck's rear axle, but, if you're wanting to tow a 22000 lb tandem axle fiver with your new SRW you might be very disappointed to find out the 5000 lb pin weight of your fiver will cause the rear axle weight rating of your truck to be exceeded by 1200 lbs.

YESSIR

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also I don't believe there's any braking performance benefits of a DRW vs a SRW truck. Perhaps a slight advantage of a DRW additional wheels to dissipate heat from the rear brakes.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> DRW vs SRW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.