Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing through New York City
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Towing through New York City

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've towed my trailer up and down the mountains of Colorado and California. I've gone up Interstate 5 up California (horrible road surface). I've been stuck in Seattle traffic tie-ups. I've towed in rain and high winds without getting blown out of my lane. A few anxious moments but nothing truly frightening.
My next trip involves towing my travel trailer from Jersey City to Boston over I-95. This involves driving across the George Washington Bridge and over the Cross-Bronx Expressway. Frankly, that scares the **** out of me. What a maze! I'm afraid I'll miss a key exit and wind up on some sketchy surface street without a clue of what to do next.
Am I being being overly terrified or should I just be mildly concerned?
Any tips of what to watch for to make sure I'm in the optimum lane(s) to get through New York City without experiencing any white knuckle experiences?

Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

tenspeedret360

Orange county,NY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cross Bronx is an absolute horror show. Tractor trailers everywhere, cars, trucks, and taxis that absolutely don't give a hoot about you and your trailer wanting to get over. You putting your directional on to change lanes is the signal to other drivers to speed up and not let you in. I don't know when you plan this trip, but I would avoid nyc, unless that's your destination, like the corona virus.

What I would suggest,is, and this is assuming youre taking I78 to I95, would be to stay on I78 past 95, and take that to the Garden State Parkway, (toll road). Take that to the end, which is the NYS thruway (I87/287) and take that east to the Tappan Zee Bridge. When you cross the bridge, you want to work your way to the left lanes, because 87 and 287 split, and you want to be on 287. tTake 287 to the end, and pick up 95 north.

Your truck and trailer will thank you.

Kevin

* This post was edited 02/10/20 04:25pm by tenspeedret360 *

Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seek professional psychiatric help!

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenspeedret360 wrote:

The cross Bronx is an absolute horror show. Tractor trailers everywhere, cars, trucks, and taxis that absolutely don't give a hoot about you and your trailer wanting to get over. You putting your directional on to change lanes is the signal to other drivers to speed up and not let you in. I don't know when you plan this trip, but I would avoid nyc, unless that's your destination, like the corona virus.

What I would suggest,is, and this is assuming youre taking I78 to I95, would be to stay on I78 past 95, and take that to the Garden State Parkway, (toll road). Take that to the end, which is the NYS thruway (I87/287) and take that east to the Tappan Zee Bridge. When you cross the bridge, you want to work your way to the left lanes, because 87 and 287 split, and you want to be on 287. tTake 287 to the end, and pick up 95 north.

Your truck and trailer will thank you.

Kevin

Yes, I see that route now. My blood pressure is coming down now. It looks like I'll need to take I-80 westward to connect from I-95 to the Garden State Parkway. Otherwise your instructions look good to me. It will probably add some miles but my underwear will likely stay clean.

tenspeedret360

Orange county,NY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's correct, I was putting you on the garden state further south, but 95 to 80 works as well.
Have a safe trip!

**edit** the tappan zee bridge signs probably say mario cuomo bridge. tax and spend Andrew named the bridge, at taxpayers expense, after his old man.

* This post was edited 02/10/20 04:59pm by tenspeedret360 *

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NYC?????
Go North till you smell it,,,,,
And East till you step in it,,,,,
And then spend half a lifetime trying to get the memories out of your mind.

Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenspeedret360 wrote:

That's correct, I was putting you on the garden state further south, but 95 to 80 works as well.
Have a safe trip!

Thanks a bunch. Just the advice I was looking for. Now to sign up for EZ-Pass. Sure are a lot of tollroads in your neck of the woods.
Dave

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Am I being being overly terrified...”

Yes. RVing is supposed to be fun. Lighten up. Make the drive.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenspeedret360 wrote:

Have a safe trip!

**edit** the tappan zee bridge signs probably say mario cuomo bridge. tax and spend Andrew named the bridge, at taxpayers expense, after his old man.

I typed in Tappan Zee Bridge into Google Maps and it was indeed labeled Cuomo Bridge. But thanks for the warning.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WAIT.....

When you get off the exit for the Tap.... ( know know as mayor Cuomo bridge ) You can take 684 N to 84 East...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Towing through New York City
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.