Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A, gas or diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Class A, gas or diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Leonandlisa

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So we had a bumper pull toyhauler (3 years), then a 35' 5th wheel toyhauler (3) years, and are now looking at Class A. We usually take a summer vacation that we go on a road trim and put about 3,000 miles on in a week or so. Lots of driving, but recently we have had my mother in law move in with us to help her out with some cancer battles and she goes with us everywhere, so the long trips are challenging with bathroom breaks. It is the four of us, Wife, 13 year old son, mother in law, and our standard poodle.

I wanted to go straight to diesel for the power, for the exhaust brake, and the 10k tow rating on most. I tow the 5th wheel with a 3500 ram SRW, and I have owned Ford diesels since 2010, so familiar with the maintenance.

I am in looking in the used market, but the diesels are still very expensive. Due to the family situation we are also looking for something with bunks for privacy and they seem to be more popular in the gas class A units.

So cons with gas:

No exhaust brake, less power, less longevity of the motor, less tow rating, and from what I see, the units seem cheaply made (smaller ac units, smaller generators, non residential fridge, less water storage, less gas storage) probably mostly to cut weight.

Obviously there is lots of gas units out there though, so want some feedback, how do they do? did you want to upgrade to the diesel right away? if you like the gas one, do you only do short trips? How are they in the mountains coming down and going up grades?

We are looking for feedback on units 35-40' long.

Sorry for the long story, and I know there is a million opinions, but I need to start somewhere.

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned both and wish I had started with Diesel. The ride is exceptional as compared to the gasser with the air ride suspension. The engine noise is like night and day also. Many more amenities and the maintenance cost goes up, but only about $300/year. I know things that break will be more $$$ but so far so good.

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Driving in the mountains with a gasser is not a problem. Gassers have intake manifold vacuum to help with going down grades.
From your post, it looks like you have little choice but to purchase a diesel MH. I suspect you won't find a gas MH that has the cargo carrying capacity you'll need and the towing capacity.
Hopefully you'll hit a jackpot close to home and pay cash for a nice diesel pusher.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had both gas and DPs.

My first observation is why suffer 3000 miles in a week with a weakened MIL?

That intinerary is torture in either gas or DP. I used to do those types of trips and eventually I figured out that we were driving PAST perfectly nice vacation spots that other people drive TO.

JMHO.

DP s are a LOT more expensive to maintain and repair. As far as longevity of diesel over gas, today’s V10 is a reliable drivetrain easily good for 100K miles.

As far as power, my CAT C7 DP gets passed up long grades by V10s. After all they gave more HP.

The 2016 up six speed has downhill breaking. Not as good as a PAC brake but ok I hear.

Drive both. DP drive better but you pay a price. Maybe not required if you don’t drive more than week or two a year.

I’ll say this, we half time, stay more than drive, but much of our northern interstates really suck.

A DP doesn’t make those roads smooth. They just suck a little less

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Leonandlisa

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies, as for the long trips, I hear your point, it is due to seeing my parents and sights at the same time, but point taken. Maybe changing our vacation style might be something to consider too, honestly didn’t think about that, just thinking how to accommodate our present style.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Modern fuel injected gas engines will outlast the rest of the RV. I would not make longevity a deciding point.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all gas motorhomes are “cheaply made”, but many are. Check out some of the Newmar gas motorhomes such as the Canyon Star and Bay Star lines. We have the Bay Star Sport line and it’s made fairly well, but it is the low line of the Newmar products. We tow a 2015 Jeep Wrangler, and the mh handles it quiet nicely. Like all front engine gassers, and probably FRED’s it can get a bit noisy when it has to downshift up a grade. On Norman roads, the noise is good. They also make a great DP line of products. ;-)

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

diesel.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I love my diesel pusher and would own nothing else, the gas RV's really make a lot better sense in many cases. When diesel cost $0.60 to $1.00 more per gallon you won't make up the difference in fuel economy.
The problem with gas RV's is the noise and ride (by comparison).
That doesn't mean that the ride is terrible or the noise is unbearable but, by comparison, the ride, handling and noise level of a diesel pusher is far superior to a gas model.
What's important to consider is how much driving you will be doing compared to how much parking you will be doing. Hope that makes sense but if you plan a 3,000 mile trip over the course of 6 months you will be parked much longer than you will be driving. However, if that same trip will be done in 2 months you will be driving a whole lot more.
Once you are parked, it makes no difference whether it's a diesel or a gas RV. At that point, the only important thing is the floor plan.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/20 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say you're comparing apples to oranges. The determining factor for most is the depth of your pockets. If you want the finer things in life and have the money to pay for them, then by all means go with a big 45ft diesel pusher. If you tend to be more frugal (meaning you avoid waste) then a gas MH should be your choice.

My 16 year old gas powered Trek has a china toilet, Corian counter tops and full body paint and I'm tickled with it. Unless I find a way to swap it for a better model floorplan in another Trek, it will be the last MH I'll ever have.

Happy travels whatever your decision.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Class A, gas or diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.