Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Just repllaced TV tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Just repllaced TV tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just put a new set of Michelin Defenders on the TV. They replaced a set of Firestone TransForce. The problem I had with the Firestones was they would break traction on wet surfaces even when new. They had 48000 mi. on them so no complaint on the wear or never had a flat with them. The compound was just too hard and they lacked sufficient siping. Coming home turning the corner to my neighborhood my truck always broke traction with the Firestones so I gunned the gas pedal and the Michelins did not break traction one bit. I also noticed on the 40 mile trip home the gas mileage went up about 1 MPG. I am very impressed with the Michelins. You get what you pay for I guess is the moral of this story.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

Just put a new set of Michelin Defenders on the TV. They replaced a set of Firestone TransForce. The problem I had with the Firestones was they would break traction on wet surfaces even when new. They had 48000 mi. on them so no complaint on the wear or never had a flat with them. The compound was just too hard and they lacked sufficient siping. Coming home turning the corner to my neighborhood my truck always broke traction with the Firestones so I gunned the gas pedal and the Michelins did not break traction one bit. I also noticed on the 40 mile trip home the gas mileage went up about 1 MPG. I am very impressed with the Michelins. You get what you pay for I guess is the moral of this story.

Wondering. Are the new tires LT tires like the old ones?

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gas mileage has a lot of things that impact it, to do a true measurement, need to calculate it over time.

Did you go with the higher load defenders? I found it made a huge difference in trailer towing stability. So much so, I no longer bother tightening down the sway bar

Draggo

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's interesting to hear because I have the same problem with the Transforce tires on my truck. I have gotten great wear out of them (replaced the first set at about 70K miles and have 45K on the second set with life left in them) but I usually end up putting the truck into the all-wheel drive mode when the roads are wet so it doesn't slip. I'll have to look at the Defenders next year when I replace the current set.

Mike & Company
2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab (5.3L V-8, 3.42 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC, Prodigy brake controller

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I put the Michelin Defenders on the 2001 2500 I noticed better grip over the Toyo’s that came off, I had the Toyo’s sipped to help, but Michelin were much better.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course they were the 10 ply E1 load rating they went on a 2500HD GMC. I have yet to tow the trailer with them but I have had Defenders before on my 1500 before I upgraded both truck and trailer but I am confident they will be quite stable while towing. I never had a compliant with the Firestones sidewall stability either so I am not trash talking them, I just like the Defenders better for the better traction and stopping grip. Just my opinion but reading testimonials like this may help out some people in deciding.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I gota say it. I've never had to replace the tires on my TV.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only comment I can make is the Firestone HT tires that came original on my 2016 Ram 2500 are the worst tires I ever owned. 24,000 miles and they were shot. Would never buy another Firestone. Replaced them with Michelins.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've gotten 80K miles on each of 3 sets of Michelins on my prior 07 Duramax dually.
I have become a believer in Michelins

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had Michelins on one truck and could not wear them out. However they were useless on icy roads in spite of being classed as an all weather tire, the compound was too hard.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Just repllaced TV tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.