Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The Cummins soon to take on the Ike
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The Cummins soon to take on the Ike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time to place our bets;

I still haven't decided whether the Duramax did lousy or if the Ford is an over achiever. Ignoring the performance of the Duramax I'm going to say the Cummins will do the run in 10 minutes 50 seconds. it will be interesting.

Click

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think the Powerstroke is under rated and the Ram will run the hill in the same time it took the Duramax .... 11:47

* This post was edited 02/14/20 10:49am by 4x4ord *

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, to me there's so much more to a tow rig that I wouldn't use these Ike times to make any kind of decision on a tow rig. It doesn't tell me anything important and they're all good enough going up or down the hill.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ For us RVers it would be nice to see a 500 mile fuel economy loop conducted with all three trucks towing identical fifth wheel RVs one behind the other.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never used these tests as to the drivetrain etc I've chosen.
Lots of other things to worry about. Visibility, bed height, seat comfort, how easy are dials etc to reach, overall payload, for me takeoff power, ie how steep a grade I can pull in first gear, 3-5 mph less on a freeway grade, oh well I still get there. Yes, MPG does come into play a little...

Just a few things I worry about more than top speed how fast etc.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Personally, to me there's so much more to a tow rig that I wouldn't use these Ike times to make any kind of decision on a tow rig. It doesn't tell me anything important and they're all good enough going up or down the hill.

yup, I agree. All the trucks are now way more than capable for towing what the majority of us tow over the mountains we tow.

For us when we have looked at new trucks, creature comforts, features, styling etc. etc. are way higher on the list.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^^ For us RVers it would be nice to see a 500 mile fuel economy loop conducted with all three trucks towing identical fifth wheel RVs one behind the other.

Definitely true. Much more meaningful to RVers than who can beat the other up a mountain by a few seconds.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the fastest time up the hill relates to more than just who has an extra minute at the top of the IKE. It relates to passing capacity on tight roads, starting capability coming onto major roadways and others as well. It is pretty important, it speaks to a lot of different driving metrics, but certainly not all that everyone feels are important. I would like to see what the engine, and tranny temps are, EGT's would be very helpful as well.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will they rerun all three? Nope!

Will the temps be the same ? Nope!

Will it matter, who knows!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

I think the fastest time up the hill relates to more than just who has an extra minute at the top of the IKE. It relates to passing capacity on tight roads, starting capability coming onto major roadways and others as well. It is pretty important, it speaks to a lot of different driving metrics, but certainly not all that everyone feels are important. I would like to see what the engine, and tranny temps are, EGT's would be very helpful as well.

I have a feeling the manufacturers are not all displaying actual water and fluid temperatures on their gauges. I think they want the engines and oil to run hot and if they display accurate numbers the service departments would be swamped with people complaining that their truck is running too hot. I added a temperature gauge on my Ford and once the water reaches the mid point of the temperature gauge (at about 170*) the gauge quits moving. IE at 213* it is still exactly in the middle of normal. I think even gauges displaying numbers from the factory are not showing accurate temperatures until the fluid is actually too hot .... whatever that is.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

I think the fastest time up the hill relates to more than just who has an extra minute at the top of the IKE. It relates to passing capacity on tight roads, starting capability coming onto major roadways and others as well. It is pretty important, it speaks to a lot of different driving metrics, but certainly not all that everyone feels are important.

Well said....

Towing got easier

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The Cummins soon to take on the Ike
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.