Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need file repository for sharing large files
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Need file repository for sharing large files

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 4TB of RAID Network Attached Storage That I use to share files with family members. AT&T seems to be OK with the amount of traffic it generates. I believe I have a 150GB trigger for a month's traffic where they will get testy, but I don't think I have ever hit that number. Works quite well. Got my "personal cloud from D-Link, but Western Digital makes them as well as mentioned above. I encrypted all the data and have the NAS unit on a UPS along with the DSL Modem so can get access during power failures of less that 90 minutes.

Have some photos I don't really care about on iCloud and Google Drive but stay below the free limit.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moving (150) mega bytes is fairly easy these days. We live in a Giga/Tera world. You can buy 10 - 16GB USB Sticks for $30, on Amazon, and mail them around Drop box has free and very little cost plans.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the input and ideas everyone, and gdetrailer your long informative post too. Takes a while to write all this and I appreciate it all.

Just to clarify, I only want this for sharing purposes, not permanent storage. Family is all over the map, so I thought it would be easier to just email them all a link to download the stuff from a common location.

I always, always, did I say always? I always keep copies of copies of all my data. Pictures, tax records, personal info, everything has data redundancy. I have multiple portable drives in addition to my main computer with copies of the important stuff to keep.

And as mentioned above, I too have a NAS RAID setup for doing backups. I actually have 2 of them, both with mirror RAID. Hadn't thought about doing a file share via my NAS setup.... Mine are Dlink too. Totally forgot about using it to share files. Thank you for the reminder. Haven't been in them for a while, I'll have to relearn it.

None of my stuff is ever held solely in someone else's cloud location. I don't trust having my files out of my possession for the reasons many of you have mentioned. And I don't want it out there for others to grab anyways.

Maybe, as mentioned here, thumb drives and snail mail. One day I'll be dead and gone so I want this family history in the hands of all who want it.

I'd still rather have some way they can all just download it.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 02:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the total project is going to be about 30gb
When rounded off

15mb*50*40, 2000 images at 15mb
Could be less, some image files will be smaller than 15mb,
Could be higher , could be 2400 slides

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get some thumbdrive copies out there asap. Trusted family members or friends.

Have them share them or maybe one of them has storage space.

I am currently using onedrive and trying to find out how to use it with confidence. There are 2800 files posted for my fellow rver friends and I have not quite got the sharing part down yet. It has worked a few times so often it is the receiver that does not understand. We will get there. I'm filling a thumbdrive as I type for a fellow rver that has not been able to access them. Perhaps an expert here will give some advice on that.

I'm using onedrive so I think they have to sign up for the free version to be able to access them. You can give limited access or allow them to actually make changes.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious: what kind of scan are you going to use to generate such enormous files?

My monitor is 1920x1024 - I doubt very much that I'd notice any difference between a 3MB image and a 15MB ?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understanding of the file size difference is if you want to crop and resize a photo, you get better resolution of the cropped part of the photo with the larger file size. Just looking at the photo you won't see much, if any, difference. Also if you want to print the photo, then the larger file size will allow you to print a portion of the photo at a larger print size and still maintain good quality.

As was mentioned referring to 5X7 size while referencing file size. If you save all of them at 5x7 file size, the quality would suffer if blown up to 8x11 or larger.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, more great input from all, thank you.

It isn't likely that any of us will be printing these pics. Maybe a select few will ever see the printer.

The primary recipients of my work are 2 brothers.
One of my brothers is heavily into photography and does extensive photo editing of his work. He lives in Cabo Mexico and does a lot of wildlife photography there. He, like myself is picky about quality and detail.

Amongst the 3 of us, we have 12 children. They likely don't care as much about high quality as my one brother and I do. But if I am going to scan them, why not do hi res pics instead of low? High can be reduced, but low cannot be increased.

Most of us, including the kids, have large smart TVs. The viewing device of choice will mostly be showing them on these large screens. Therefore, the higher the quality, the better for seeing a 4 foot wide image. I ran a few on mine and I like the quality.

Unfortunately, my dedicated slide and film scanner is very old. In its day in the early 2000s it was $1200. new. Though obsolete now, it is still better quality than the cheap ones available today. It is a TWAIN driven scanner, technology no longer used. I bought VueScan, very good software, and they reverse engineer the TWAIN drivers to make them function with Windows 10. Scanner is a Canon Canoscan FS4000US. But it is painfully slowwwwwww. About an hour to scan 4 slides, once set up. About 1 hr, 20 min including setup, naming and saving files etc.
I don't buy cheap stuff to get me by. If I buy another it would be a professional grade unit. With quality, I maintain "You only cry once".

My dad's slides total approx 1200. I haven't counted them. My wonderful lady has about the same number of her fathers slides. And I have roughly 3000 of my own.

Not everyone is interested in viewing them, but I know my grandchildren would love to see Great Grandpas photographic record of European travels, along with Grandpas (myself) records of their own parents, and cousins, uncles, aunts when they were kids.

All this is why having an online stash for all to draw from makes the most sense. Yes, I could grab a bunch of thumb drives and hand them out. I'm a techno kind of guy and enjoy doing stuff like this.

Onedrive was mentioned. I have that myself, never use it. I think it came with my MS Office subscription, not sure. Perhaps I should look at that.

Still, I don't trust cloud storage. Not that there is any value to these pics other than family memories, but I still don't think anyone has any right or business to use them aside from those I give them to.

Thanks for the input.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

Be aware that when you upload your pictures to any commercial storage area, you are granting the server full access and rights to all you pictures, and permission to use them or share for any reason they desire.

I don't believe your statement is correct. Yes, It might be buried in the "term and conditions" but I would do the research before assuming that.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a 1tb in Dropbox, OneDrive or GoogleDrive?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Need file repository for sharing large files
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.