Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: NEED HELP MECHANICAL ISSUE (possibly transmission)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> NEED HELP MECHANICAL ISSUE (possibly transmission)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Tayler Flores31

Denver area

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 79 dodge Winnebago 29 footer 440. I’ve lost some gears so I can it’ll go into park reverse neutral but that’s it when I try to put it into drive it’s hard as a rock and won’t budge. It’s never acted like this before then when I put it in reverse it doesn’t do nothing but sit there. My husband went underneath & hit the linkage to see if it was possibly stuck nope still nothing. PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME THIS IS MY HOME AND I DONT WANNA LOSE MY HOME

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this an original transmission? Have you checked the fluid level correctly?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the fluid level first off. No fluid, no go.. If low, fill up and it might go.

If fluid on the stick and not low, sniff it.. If it smells "burnt".. No go.. Kinda like burnt toast..

40 year old trans... Might just be done with life if it has fluid and not burnt..

Good to check the linkage, but just "hitting it" might not do much... Have to have hubby lay there and you shift thru the gears and see what the linkage does.. Go from there on what the result is.

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you saying the shift lever does not physically go down into Drive? Or does the shift lever go into drive but the vehicle won't move?

If the shifter physically won't go into drive have your husband look at the whole shift assembly from the steering wheel down to the transmission. Try to see if something is hitting the linkage and stopping it from moving. He might also spot a linkage joint that is stuck and needs a good spray of penetrating oil to free it up.

The fact that you say it does not move in reverse sounds like the shift linkage possibly slipped and is out of adjustment. Again this can be caused by a stuck joint in the shift linkage causing the linkage to slip rather than move the lever on the transmission.

* This post was edited 02/15/20 04:29pm by opnspaces *

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/20 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure that the linkage is actually moving at all on the transmission?

What happens if you start it in park and carefully press the gas pedal while still in park? Does the motorhome move in park?

Then shift into reverse and press the pedal again. Does it move in reverse?

Then shift into neutral and press the pedal again. Does it move in neutral?

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the shift linkage is somehow jammed but can be released by jerking on it from underneath, check for broken motor and/or transmission mounts.

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forty+ year old tranny...not surprised. When was the last transmission service completed, Tayler?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can physically remove the linkage from the transmission, you should be able to move the gearshift lever, if you can't then the problem is with the linkage. You can test the transmission by moving the part were the linkage was attached. Of course chock the wheels before crawling under.

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We once stopped at a rest area for lunch in our Class A gasser. When we went to leave, the shifter would not move. . . period. We tried several things that didn't work. We were about ready to call a tow truck when my DH thought to look at fuses. Had one blown fuse that was the culprit. Never would have guessed that, but that's what it was.
Replaced the fuse and we were good to go.

So check fuses.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Teacher's Pet

SD.. Fulltimers. Goshen IN summers

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Scottiemom has said a "fuse" was the problem. 1998 Intruder Class A on a F53 Ford chassis ... I know it doesn't make sense...changed a blown "cruise control" fuse and all was well never had the problem again. BTW the television interlock was on same fuse circuit.

* This post was edited 02/17/20 05:42am by Teacher's Pet *

'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> NEED HELP MECHANICAL ISSUE (possibly transmission)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.