Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: problem with electric water heater-Fixed but new problem
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> problem with electric water heater-Fixed but new problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1 source of that problem you checked (The outside shower)
#2 is the winterizing bypass valves in a 3 valve system the CENTER valve must be closed. on a one valve system you need to make sure it is FULLY in "Summer" (use) ;position not mid way.

#3 is the thermostat.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

bob213 wrote:

Element is easy to replace just make sure you buy the wrench to take it off.($5 or$6).

Watch this:
element

The video was good at showing the basics, but he didn't use any Teflon tape when installing the new element or reinstalling the anode plug. Nor did he clean the tank threads to remove the remnants of Teflon tape.

After he reconnected the leads for the heating element he should have refilled the water heater and turned on the element to test it and make sure it was going to heat and the element threads were not going to leak.

You never know for sure if the element threads or the anode plug threads are going to leak until the tank and the water are heated up. He put the cover back on the element access so he would never know it was leaking unless he found the floor was getting wet under the water heater.

After the element is successfully tested and there is no leakage then he should have continued to reinstall the element cover and the gas burner tube.

I'll give the video a B minus.
Thread sealant isn't necessary on the threads for the heating element, since they don't do any sealing. The rubber gasket is what seals the heating element, the threads are regular SAE, not NPT.

A little sealant on the anode rod can't hurt though.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just recently went through this, water just wasn't as hot as usual and over the next few days even less so. Ordered and replaced the AC T-stat and now nice hot water on AC.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbp111 wrote:

I do think it must the heating element. It is under an extended warranty. So they can fix it at no cost to me.
Also, I did check the bypass valve. It was not leaking. The gas comes on when I throw the switch, and heats up the water nice and hot.

By the way, I appreciate the video submitted by bob on how to take off the heating element. It is real easy and the guy who made the video aught to be commended.

If the water comes out nice and hot on gas as you say; Then yes you have found the problem as the electric element.

The question I would ask if I were you is how much fuel will it take to pull the trailer round trip to the dealer? Sure it's under an extended warranty. But if you have to spend $30 in fuel to have the dealer replace a nine dollar part, under warranty is it even worth it? Add in the six dollar wrench and you are still at $15 and you didn't have to drive the RV anywhere.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF the water is getting warmer than room temp.. The Element is likely good.
That is why I did not include it in my suspect list.

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Heating elements are normally either good or they are bad. Can’t think of a way one could partially fail. They are basically a specialized resistor.

If you don’t have a valve problem allowing mixing of hot and cold, then I would question the thermostat/hi temp cutout.

I would also question the thermostat. Normally the element should be either good or bad.
Brian

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

The question I would ask if I were you is how much fuel will it take to pull the trailer round trip to the dealer? Sure it's under an extended warranty. But if you have to spend $30 in fuel to have the dealer replace a nine dollar part, under warranty is it even worth it? Add in the six dollar wrench and you are still at $15 and you didn't have to drive the RV anywhere.

I'd call the dealer and see if they would send a new element.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you pressed the reset on the thermostat? Suburban has separate thermostats for gas and electric so gas could work fine while electric hi limit t-stat could need reset or replaced. Check for continuity(and power) at screws on element before removing. Hope this answer gets a passing grade.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Heating elements are normally either good or they are bad. Can’t think of a way one could partially fail. They are basically a specialized resistor.

If you don’t have a valve problem allowing mixing of hot and cold, then I would question the thermostat/hi temp cutout.

My thoughts as well.

I'm also betting an open bypass valve at the WH.....fixed a many at campgrounds.

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Needs a new heating element. Probably caked with lime and crud so it's can't heat efficiently anymore. They are pretty cheap. Will cost an arm and a leg at the dealer if they fix it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> problem with electric water heater-Fixed but new problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.