Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Using RV in winter, including water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Using RV in winter, including water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/20 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a look at the full time forum thread on Winter Camping.

If possible, don't put the slide out.

Check the weather history for the location and go with the "worst case" numbers.

Weather Underground has a history function.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV in winter? I'd rent a cabin.
Once had the water pipes freeze during an unexpected cold spell and we had to wait until warmer weather to have running water again.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People live in RVs year around in cold country. You have to learn to make a few adjustments. Look it up if you are unsure.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

Depends on whether those are sold s "4-season" campers. Those are fine as long as they are kept heated with the built in furnace. A space heater will not deliver heat to utility bays as the furnace can with dedicated ducts.
Anyone can claim their product is "4 season". Means nothing. There is no industry standard. Might not be anything beyond a decal by the door. Don't get suckered into believing this means you can live in one in the Yukon or Alaska.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot depends on the RV.. I have a class A. enclosed tanks. with the Furnace running they tell me I can go down to 20 degrees outside. I've also added a string of C-9 Incascedant christmas tree lights (The large outdoor ownes) under the tank the C-9s do not get hot enough to melt plastic. a 15 watt lamp will.

And a 100 watt caged bulb in the valve bay on the same thermostat

And just added a temperature sensor on top of the fresh tank.

I've been down to 11 degrees without serious issues (no damage) and -6 with a solid freeze up (Cost me about 10 bucks)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Survival ability comes down to how cold is the ambient temps.
Prolonged temps below 32º can cause issues by prolonged I mean 24-48 hours of sub freezing temps. If it warms to above 32 during the day but is freezing at night your generally oK
. But if it drops below freezing and stays there for days in a row beware!
Canada is not known for its mild winters!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

garyemunson wrote:

Depends on whether those are sold s "4-season" campers. Those are fine as long as they are kept heated with the built in furnace. A space heater will not deliver heat to utility bays as the furnace can with dedicated ducts.
Anyone can claim their product is "4 season". Means nothing. There is no industry standard. Might not be anything beyond a decal by the door. Don't get suckered into believing this means you can live in one in the Yukon or Alaska.

B.O.

^^^^^^^^^This! ^^^^^^^^

There are “VERY” few rv’s that are “factory capable” of sustained use at below zero F temperatures without substantial modifications. Most of those capable of serious cold weather use, ceased to exist during the financial crisis of the late 2000’s.

Once upon a time, there were a few manufacturers that had guarantees to a minus 20 F or a bit colder.....without modifications! These are still out there, but are getting difficult to find due to age. memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can turn just about any decent "3 season" rig into a winter capable unit. You just have to want to.

The vast majourity of RV'er though bring their rigs out at the end May and put them away at the end of October or even Labour Day.

If you have to put a jacket on it's time to put the camper away. Most people are just soft.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

years ago we were in Gallup,New Mexico and it got down to 15 and was snowing. We disconnected the water from the hydrant even though it had heat tape on it and just used the water in the tank. No problems. But that was just for one night. The next night we were in Williams ,AZ and it was a balmy 32. I would say it depends on how low the temperature gets,how long it stays cold and if it's windy. The wind blowing through cracks or across water lines can freeze things up quickly.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done enough cold weather RV'ing to have some thoughts based on actual deeds. Unless you really really need to...don't use your fresh water. At all. Drain and winterize. (frozen fresh water lines can cause a lot of damage when they thaw) Toss a couple cups of RV anti-freeze into every P trap. Then toss a bunch into each of the two waste tanks. That way, you can use them without the worry of the contents freezing.

It's counter-intuative but keep a couple windows cracked open..one in rear and the other up forward. You need to keep condensation down to a minimum. If you are using a large RV, maybe invest in a dehumidifier. Google humidity in an RV. It is incredible how much moisture we give off just being alive and breathing, never mind cooking and washing.

If you are plugged in? Get a couple ceramic heaters to supplement your furnace. If you aren't on power..how you going to keep your batteries up? Generator works fine but you'll need an honest one..not an el'cheapo. Keep extra fuel on hand.

Good bedding and if it gets to the point your head is cold, put on a toque.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Using RV in winter, including water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.