Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Auxiliary fuel tank?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Auxiliary fuel tank?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I would use one of these to see if you really want to spend the $$$.

"IF" I were to do anything I would go with the TITAN 55g for my DRW RAM.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the best upgrades I’ve done with my truck was the 60 gallon auxiliary tank. 95 gallons of fuel capacity let’s me stop when and where I want to not where I have to.

But with a short bed I’m not sure I could afford to lose the space. But I also wouldn’t want that tiny tank, so I’d bite the bullet and install one of the 50 gallon replacement tanks.

And no, a 5 gallon portable can isn’t a reasonable substitute for either of the above options. [emoticon]

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last 2 short beds had the tank swapped for the Titan 51 gallon before I even drove it..

The new one will come in with a 48 gallon stock ! ! [emoticon]

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Personally I would use one of these to see if you really want to spend the $$$.

"IF" I were to do anything I would go with the TITAN 55g for my DRW RAM.

[image]

Given that we're all about safety here on rvnet, don't you think posting a plastic fuel jug that is not up to OSHA/NFPA standards is a bit risky? Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"And no, a 5 gallon portable can isn’t a reasonable substitute for either of the above options."

You must have a hell of a bladder! A stop is a stop as far as I am concerned. No I don't care if I spend a few bucks more for a truck stop fill.

I do miss my 35 gallon tank, I know only 3 gallons less now but it makes a difference as I had specific stops along the West Coast. Used the 5 one time as I had not calculated in the long grade from the Columbia River to Yakima, WA.

Bottom line people need to do what works for them. I just think everyone should decide with real world experience before spending BIG $$$.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, something to consider beyond "when will it run out" and "when do I have to stop for the facilities" is what you're towing and how that impacts where you are when either of the two above criteria kick in.

I had an F350 towing a 39' 5th wheel. Stock tank was (IIRC) 34 gallons. Enough to go as long as was really practical. However, with the biga** trailer, I had to start looking for suitable stations (generally meaning truck stops) at about the 1/2 tank level. This became a real pain the behind, particularly if traveling on secondary roads, and after having to unhook the trailer and run the truck to a station one midnight, it became worth the $$ to add a auxiliary tank.

I went with an in-bed extra 70 gallon tank and it was great. For the next 5-8 years (until the end of the RV chapter of life), I didn't have to stop at all during the "day" but could simply fill up the truck and aux tank once I was stopped for the evening and had parked the trailer.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

FWIW, something to consider beyond "when will it run out" and "when do I have to stop for the facilities" is what you're towing and how that impacts where you are when either of the two above criteria kick in.

I had an F350 towing a 39' 5th wheel. Stock tank was (IIRC) 34 gallons. Enough to go as long as was really practical. However, with the biga** trailer, I had to start looking for suitable stations (generally meaning truck stops) at about the 1/2 tank level. This became a real pain the behind, particularly if traveling on secondary roads, and after having to unhook the trailer and run the truck to a station one midnight, it became worth the $$ to add a auxiliary tank.

I went with an in-bed extra 70 gallon tank and it was great. For the next 5-8 years (until the end of the RV chapter of life), I didn't have to stop at all during the "day" but could simply fill up the truck and aux tank once I was stopped for the evening and had parked the trailer.
Wow, I could have written exactly that post. [emoticon] Except my tank is 34 gallons and not 70. And I'm still RVing.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an in bed RDS tank I bought used. It really makes it nice. I’m a little paranoid and if my gauge drops below 1/2 I get nervous. Below 1/4 and I’m in a panic. So now just as soon as my gauge drops off from full, I know my auxiliary tank is empty and I only have 28 gallons left. I will usually start looking for fuel when I only have 3/4 of my tank left. This will usually keep me above half and out of the panic zone. Depending on where I’m at, that gives me a range of about 350 miles. If I were to run all the way to empty, I could probably go 550 miles or so. For me to run that low it would have to be a life or death situation.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

PA12DRVR wrote:

Wow, I could have written exactly that post. [emoticon] Except my tank is 34 gallons and not 70. And I'm still RVing.

What year is your RAM? Second gen LB trucks are 35 gallon.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Titan tanks are really hard to beat, well made and you dont lose any bed space.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Auxiliary fuel tank?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.