Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Help. Will This Work?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help. Will This Work?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Baloney. The effect of the center of gravity being a few inches further back will be no worse than hitching up a trailer with a 500lb tongue weight. No pickup truck, compact, "half ton," "three-quarter ton," "one ton" or otherwise, requires weight distribution with a 500lb tongue weight. They handle just fine. So will this combination.....

You are not seeing that trailer comes with wheels.
I used to have 18k lb 3-axle equipment hauler, who more than once had well over 3000 lb on the hitch. One time cherry picker put so much weight on the hitch that F450 front wheels would skid on dry asphalt and that was with 900 lb 7.3l engine on front.
Never had WD bars on pintle hitch and sway was never a problem.
Now even my dually handles just fine with 12" camper and COG slightly behind rear axle, I don't think I would like to make avoidance maneuver with the combo

* This post was last edited 02/18/20 09:19am by Kayteg1 *   View edit history

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I don't need to read technical data to estimate that short bed has rear axle about 40" from front of the bed.
8'-9" camper will have COG at about 1/2 of floor length, give or take 6".
Do the math.

And you'd be correct. And with my standard bed Dodge, that distance is even less. And my 8'-9" camper has a CoG sticker on it that sits just about an inch aft of center of rear axle.

So maybe that technical data IS important....and maybe this camper in question has batteries, propane, tanks and a few bags of lead in the back.....or maybe it doesn't. Betting it doesn't.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Laughing...

I sold my 8.6 ft Lance to a guy with a dodge 3500 short bed.He left the tailgate down and put the TC on and drove off..It looked great and he still has it and says it handles just fine...I think it looks kinda cool with the tailgate on with room on each side for "stuff"..

So yes, from experience it will work fine...

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Guaranteed ?

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I don't need to read technical data to estimate that short bed has rear axle about 40" from front of the bed.
8'-9" camper will have COG at about 1/2 of floor length, give or take 6".
Do the math.

Sorry, you are mistaken. To do the math, you have to start with the original COG number and use the actual measurement of cab to axle.

Take a look at the COG for the trucks listed at this link.https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/buyers-guide/hard-side/northstar-camper/ NOTE: I picked Northstar at random. In any case, their COG ranges from 24-54 inches. That’s a huge range.

BTW, according to what I’ve found, you are also wrong about axle placement on a short bed Ford. It’s actually 60 inches. https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/fo........rochures/2019/2019_SuperDuty_Chassis.pdf

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stand corrected that 8'6" camper can have COG 32" from front, but for axle placement you took long bed C&C page.
You can't have axle 5 feet behind the cabin on 6 foot bed.
That's what tow trucks have.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

Guaranteed ?

Yup, as long as the bottom of the camper is flat.
Alaska and back and a lot of places in between with the tailgate down and arctic fox sitting on it.
Only permanent evidence is the ridges in the truck bed and on the tailgate are a little smushed. But that happens on any truck and camper once a 2 or 3 ton “box” is bouncing around back there.

happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 8'11" and a 8'9" on my f350 shortbox. In both cases the centre of gravity was clearly marked and was on or in front of the truck axle. They both had north/south beds which would bring the weight further forward than an East/west bed.
If the centre of gravity is not marked you will face to be careful. Good luck.

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2005 28 foot Gulfstream Innsbruck 5th wheel.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Foodi wrote:

I think it would be the C.O.G to be the biggest drawback and the truck may not handle well? This camper is on a F250 LB with current owner, so I hoped an F350 would make up for the shorter box size.

Absolutely not. It’s a common misconception that an F350 (single rear wheel) is any different than an F250.
It’s the same truck, with slightly stiffer springs which you can add to an F250.

Lots of RV guys say nothing you do to a truck increases its payload, you have to just buy one with a higher rating, because they believe if the factory adds a spring, the payload goes up, if you add the same spring, it doesn’t.

About truck selection, I believe it’s silly to buy a shortbed with the main purpose being camper hauling. A shortbed turns a little tighter. A long bed is superior in every other way.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Foodi

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. We are not moving ahead with this combo, and will keep looking for the right fit to come along!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help. Will This Work?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.