Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: toad versus no toad
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> toad versus no toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Aadkins101

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/20 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are an elderly couple with a small MH. We spend several months in FL each year & rent a car. If you reserve ahead of time, you can get a really good rate. We’ve had it with towing anything!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best person to answer the OPs question is the OP.
It's not like they're new to RVing or pulling a toad along with.
Only they can decide where they like to camp, what they like to do for activities, how long they stay in one spot, etc.

Every RV setup is a compromise. That is a given.
Personally with the TC when were not towing the boat to a "destination", if it's something like a big NP or somewhere else we will be spending a few days or longer, I unload the camper so we have the "toad." We are drivers. We go places and do stuff a lot of the time. Having to break camp multiple times, plus the burden of driving the while house while doing whatever, to me, is less desirable than unloading the camper.

I'd think hooking and unhooking the toad would be a lot easier and not a burden to tow.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 24' Class C and we take the toad if we go anywhere for more than one night. You can use the satelite view on the Google navigation app to look at the gas stations in advance.

Rolin

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Experience:
We have a 26ft Class C and this is first year we have had a toad. It is convenient and allows more flexible travel at your destination. However, we have visited about 60% of the National Parks in the USA (plus a trip to Alaska) and a Number of National Parks in Canada without a toad. Really enjoyed using the public transportation. You get to see more because you don't have to pay attention to the road and you meet interesting people. Its much more social. I also enjoyed not having to worry about the extra vehicle plus the extra cost if you take a ferry or toll road.

My fuel mileage is 8.5 mpg without the toad. It is just a little over 7 mpg with pulling the toad. We have about 35K miles on this MH without the Toad and about 3K miles while pulling the toad so we will have a better view of fuel economy difference by the end of this year.

The downside is in places outside of a National Park where you want to go to a trail head for hiking. I don't like to leave the MH unattended in those situations so we have missed out on some opportunities.

Happy Trails

John S.

Valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have driven over 400k miles in a class A with a toad and 17 years. Now in a 29 foot and can take it or not. Most of the time I do not go with my toad. I found I can go everywhere I need to go and see 90% with no issues. I love having the coach in a park, we have a kitchen and bathroom and we can also spend a hour or more watching buffalo move or take a nap by a running stream. I would go without if you are not going into a city.. when we go to the city or the beach I will tow the Jeep. So. It depends but a really long trip to the parks is easier without the toad.

John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550 Chassis
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) now in our hearts and thoughts

ctim

california

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/20 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 24 foot class c and have never towed. We have been able to use shuttles and public transport in many places, or we can drive our RV around short distances from the camp if necessary. We have rented cars several times, like Yellowstone, and it was well worth it and easy. We might be limiting ourselves a bit, but find it easier for the traveling we do, not to have the extra expense, etc. Whichever, have a fun time.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryDel wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. You have convinced me. We will bring the toad for sure.
Wise decision!

Once you have secured a campsite in or near our country's national parks and monuments, you will be so very happy you brought your Jeep.

We live near Chicago and focus on national parks and such. One year heading out west, we left our Jeep Liberty home thinking we wouldn't need it much. That turned out to be a very bad idea. Now it doesn't matter where we go, our Liberty always comes along. In our particular situation per my signature, towing our Liberty drops our fuel economy by 1 mpg. But we make it up by leaving the motor home at the campsite and drive the Liberty around at our destinations.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Olddud

Lost in Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/20 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I like about a toad is it acts as backup transportation should something really bad happen to the MH. Say you have a pet of some sort, it is hot outside, and something fails while on the road. Now you have a way to protect your buddy from the elements while attempting to get assistance for the MH.

grobvikos

New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take your toad. You will definitely regret it if you don’t.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> toad versus no toad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.