Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 12v portable fridge/freezer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 12v portable fridge/freezer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

I don’t believe the OP is talking about thermoelectric coolers, the type that uses a Peltier device that can either heat or cool. They rarely live up to their specs, and generally will only cool to about 30* below ambient.

I believe the OP wants to discuss portable 12v compressor fridge/freezers.

[emoticon][emoticon]

The as far as I know the ARB is a true refrigerator/freezer.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Dometic CDF-11 12V compressor unit, purchased from Amazon as a supplement to my built-in 3-way unit. It has performed well for several years. Tiny, but that is all I needed, it fits between the cab's bucket seats, and I am able to lift it even with my bad back.

Before choosing this unit, I read many views of similar products. Sources: Amazon, YouTube, Expedition Portal, etc.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guys in the Australian outback have been using Engel refrigerators for many years. They only have 1 moving part inside. Incredibly power efficient. Will easily go from refrigerator to freezer with the turn of a dial.

I bought one to use in our Jeep while cruising trails. No worries of it draining the battery. It has also been used for keeping our food cool during a recent hurricane in Florida.

I built a digital thermostat control for mine. Details here: http://2manytoyz.com/engel-thermostat.html

[image]

Here's the testing done over 27 hours:

[image]

It used 18AH in 27 hours:

[image]

The magic is the swing compressor. You can read about it here: http://www.roadtrucker.com/engel/engel-12-volt-fridge-freezer-technical.htm

There are many other less expensive brands, but you do get what you pay for. If you need very low power cooling for off-grid usage, you won't find a better/more efficient brand.

Oh, and FWIW, I've given away several thermoelectric coolers that were given to me. 5A draw constantly, only cooling 20F below ambient (not the 30F as advertised). No bueno when it's 95F here. 75F beer? Blah!

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't go wrong with the Engle, Dometic or ARB, they are fine units.

I have an ARB single fridge/freezer chest. I got creative, since the ARB only cools from the bottom, and put my freezer things on the bottom, then a towel * on that, and my fridge things on the towel. I was able to keep the bottom frozen and the top refrigerated, but it was not easy, took trial-n-error and not easy to live with.

I bought an ICECO with two compartments. Each one can be turned on or off independently, or set at any temp independently - so one can be a fridge and one a freezer, or both freezers, or both fridges, or just have one on as a fridge or freezer to save some power when you do not need both compartments.
The ICECO was a LOT easier to use/program than the ARB.

Less than 5 amp draw.

ALL of these mentioned above use the Danfoss compressors that sip electricity, and in my opinion, and many others, are superior to the propane absorption fridges of old.

I got the ICECO and the ARB on eBay, both new. I "made an offer" on the ICECO for $800 and have been happy with it.

* I used a regular bathroom size towel as you would shower with

[image]

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

I figure if the Australians use something, and recommend it, it's good for my uses in spades.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 12v portable fridge/freezer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.