Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Your Favorite Browser?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Your Favorite Browser?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I divorced Internet Exploder many years ago in favor of FireFox. My fave, I still use it. It does everything I need it to.

I did , however, have a recent hiccup with it for my online banking. I run Kaspersky, it invokes a protected browser, my bank page was blank for about a week, it wouldn't load. I had to use my phone instead. It's fixed now.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved to the new version of Edge.

Google is quick to point out the flaws in other browsers but Chrome has its problems too.

Google Just Gave Millions Of Users A Reason To Quit Chrome

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Safari is my browser of choice.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/20 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I run Chrome on Chromebooks. Oh there are options I could use but it's clean, fast, shares bookmark and some other things from CB-1 to CB-2 to Phone to Tablet to whatever I log in with. I can take a brand new chromebook out of the box as I tap the power button on my PC and be online browsing with my bookmarks file restored FASTER than the PC Posts... If they catch a virus I can basically do a full Factory Restore (Turn them into brand new) in less time than it took me to type this (Happened 2x so far) .. In short...... I love 'em.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I run Chrome on a Pixelbook and love the heck out of it. On my android phone I run Brave. Works well and does block the ads. I've power washed the pixelbook twice since I've owned it. My PC's have been collecting dust.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been surfing since the WWW started and before that using Gopher. I liked Google at first because AltraVista was noting but ads. Now I avoid Google and the cloud as much as I can. Google never forgets anything I can't stand targeted ads that say based on my past browsing experiences, I might like to try this or that. I won't use any Google browser or search engine.

I use Firefox for my browser and and DuckDuckGo.com (the search engine that doesn't track you) for my search engine. Very happy with this set up. If I need to lower my guard, I'll let one of the other weaker browsers handle it and then close them out.

A word to the wise is sufficient.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love Chrome. Not sure why people don't like targeted ads. Rather have ads targeted to what I want vs having ads for feminine products pop up LOL. And for people who think their privacy is being invaded, grow up and get off the internet and throw away your cell phones...you have no privacy.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate, hate, hate auto-play videos. And if you are in an RV with limited bandwidth it's much worse. I KNOW HOW TO CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON. I think whoever creates/allows auto-play videos should be put in prison. Did I mention that I hate auto-play videos?

Having said that, it seems like Firefox does the best job of stopping auto-play videos, but it's not easy, even on Firefox. If anybody knows a browser that does a better job of blocking auto-play videos I'll give it a try.

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on BRAVE! I use it on all my devices. With their ad blocker, some of the sites I visit look new without all the ads.

Also, I avoid Google as much as possible. For a search engine, I use DuckDuckGo.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

I hate, hate, hate auto-play videos. And if you are in an RV with limited bandwidth it's much worse. I KNOW HOW TO CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON. I think whoever creates/allows auto-play videos should be put in prison. Did I mention that I hate auto-play videos?

Having said that, it seems like Firefox does the best job of stopping auto-play videos, but it's not easy, even on Firefox. If anybody knows a browser that does a better job of blocking auto-play videos I'll give it a try.
I agree! I can read - I don't need to have a video forced on me.

I use Firefox. Under Options - Security - I set Autoplay to block audio and video. It's been working very well.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garym114 wrote:

Moved to the new version of Edge.

Google is quick to point out the flaws in other browsers but Chrome has its problems too.

Google Just Gave Millions Of Users A Reason To Quit Chrome

Even though Edge is built on Chromium it appears to have matured into a very good browser, according to what I've read in technical sources.
Brave is also built on Chromium, but I like using it for the features it offers, such as tracker and ad blocking, HTTPS everywhere, etc. I've also tried the newer Firefox Quantum and liked that, too. If, for some reason, I decided to quit Brave, I'd probably revert to Firefox Quantum.

* This post was last edited 02/22/20 08:54am by mr. ed *   View edit history

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Your Favorite Browser?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.