Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Is Ram Ditching Aisin Tranmissions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Is Ram Ditching Aisin Tranmissions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/20 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

2001400ex wrote:

Me Again wrote:

A long stroke I-6 is not a dragster engine. A short stroke V-8 will almost always be quicker. People do not buy a RAM with the Cummins I-6 as a sports truck, they buy it was a towing machine!

Yes that's exactly what I said. The Aisin is the worst of the three for a daily driver. They are great at towing. But the other two are better for those of us like me who tow a few times a year. But need a one ton when you need a one ton.

I have to ask how many AISIN’s have you daily driven?

Actually watched it on the internet and provided the links.

It's funny how you guys have to defend the ram for whatever reason. It's a great pulling pickup. I was close to buying one. Chose GM cause it drives better unloaded. GM has their weaknesses too, a lot were addressed in the new generation but still the RAM does some things better. Such as the air ride, the big screen, etc..

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/20 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001400ex wrote:

It's funny how you guys have to defend the ram for whatever reason. It's a great pulling pickup. I was close to buying one. Chose GM cause it drives better unloaded. GM has their weaknesses too, a lot were addressed in the new generation but still the RAM does some things better. Such as the air ride, the big screen, etc..

I bought a one year old 1993 RAM/Cummins, then a new 2001.5 and finally a new 2015. For 26 years I just have not realized that I was driving a sub par daily driver, as each one having been better than to one before it.

[image]

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

2001400ex wrote:

I bought a one year old 1993 RAM/Cummins, then a new 2001.5 and finally a new 2015. For 26 years I just have not realized that I was driving a sub par daily driver, as each one having been better than to one before it.

[image]

I usually don't get into these conversations but I am about 6 months into a RAM 3500 with the Aisin. Came from a 2009 Toyota Tundra. I also use the RAM for daily driver and towing. So far about 75% towing and 25% daily driver. I did find the Aisin clunky for daily driving at first. But after nearly 10,000 miles this has gone away and it drives very nice. Sure the Tundra was still smoother but the RAM is still very nice for daily driving and with the Cummins and Aisin tows a much nicer, which is why I bought it.

Rob

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the 10 speed transmission is more for fuel economy (especially unloaded fuel economy) than anything else. The Ram might be able to compete in the fuel economy department without going to 10 gears. I think f I went to Ram instead of Ford for my next truck I'd miss my Ford tow mirrors more than wish I had a 10 speed.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/20 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I think the 10 speed transmission is more for fuel economy (especially unloaded fuel economy) than anything else. The Ram might be able to compete in the fuel economy department without going to 10 gears. I think f I went to Ram instead of Ford for my next truck I'd miss my Ford tow mirrors more than wish I had a 10 speed.

Ford has the mirror nod and the 6 speed torque shift tranny is top notch. Helpfully the 10 speed will be as good. I am not sure however if there is justification for the higher price, given that all three are amazing machines now.

If RAM built a 4500 pickup with 19.5 rims, bigger brakes and sharp wheel cut, they could take a bit of Ford's F450 market. Ford is doing a dis-service to F350 buyers for dropping the wide track front axle.

The current F350 CC LB is a big long monster that does not turn well as a daily driver.

[image]

* This post was edited 02/29/20 07:06am by Me Again *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"It's funny how you guys have to defend the ram for whatever reason. It's a great pulling pickup. I was close to buying one. Chose GM cause it drives better unloaded. GM has their weaknesses too, a lot were addressed in the new generation but still the RAM does some things better. Such as the air ride, the big screen, etc.."

I can tell you you did not compare a RAM with rear air ride to a GM because I have ridden in a 3500 GM SB SRW and my DRW with air rode better for sure.

The trick to finding out what rig rides the best it to air the tires say my truck with rear air ride to 80 front and 35 rear. Do the same with the Ford and GM. Report back.

Funny you are using the internet to determine the drivability of the AISIN. You need to run the hell out of the truck when new and the trans will shift very nicely, AISIN and the 68rfe learn from how you drive them.

People said the 68 is horrible for shifting, I say BS as I had one for 68k and it shifted VERY nicely.

Drive like an old lady and the trans will give flair shifts for one.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I think f I went to Ram instead of Ford for my next truck I'd miss my Ford tow mirrors more than wish I had a 10 speed."

Writing is on the wall.

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

2001400ex wrote:

[image]

I'm specifically talking about the Aisin transmission. I also almost bought a ram in 09 as well. Went with a used Ford 6.0 cause they were dirt cheap. I'm not against RAM. Just saying the Aisin isn't the best transmission for daily driving.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12V, 400ex is partly just defending his choice of a shiny awesome, probably black, Dmax Denali. I would too. In fact I'd honestly be on the fence if I had to go get a new diesel pickup tomorrow. Big C vs Big D would be a tough choice.
Yes, the "I read it on the Internet" so it's true statement doesn't hold much water, but just becasue he didn't experience driving one first hand, doesn't make him wrong. He's just right for the wrong reason, lol.

The Aisin is a great trans, but regardless of the fact that you are greatly attached to Aisin transmissions (not unlike cummins, b&w and Amzoil), it is not as smooth, quick shifting and seamless as other transmissions. Some put great value in wanting their car to feel like it has a cvt and other want to "know" that the vehicle is firmly into the next gear. It's perception and your perceptions of what is "best" are a bit different.

Now cmon Ram, get an 8+ speed trans into your diesel trucks already! ZF, Aisin, Allison, whomever, get after it!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

12V, 400ex is partly just defending his choice of a shiny awesome, probably black, Dmax Denali. I would too. In fact I'd honestly be on the fence if I had to go get a new diesel pickup tomorrow. Big C vs Big D would be a tough choice.
Yes, the "I read it on the Internet" so it's true statement doesn't hold much water, but just becasue he didn't experience driving one first hand, doesn't make him wrong. He's just right for the wrong reason, lol.

The Aisin is a great trans, but regardless of the fact that you are greatly attached to Aisin transmissions (not unlike cummins, b&w and Amzoil), it is not as smooth, quick shifting and seamless as other transmissions. Some put great value in wanting their car to feel like it has a cvt and other want to "know" that the vehicle is firmly into the next gear. It's perception and your perceptions of what is "best" are a bit different.

Now cmon Ram, get an 8+ speed trans into your diesel trucks already! ZF, Aisin, Allison, whomever, get after it!

Good post!

Yes I am different, don't constantly need to be lubed up on the next great product.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Is Ram Ditching Aisin Tranmissions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.