Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: AF 1140 Dry Weight
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> AF 1140 Dry Weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Nevwr hauled big things in a pickup, eh?
Ragged edge?
You saw the pic on the same truck as yours but 20 years older, right?
I can assure you it was not on the ragged edge and your truck is vastly stronger in every way (except the engine is just as stout in the 2nd gen) than the 2nd gen.

But they make lots of smaller campers than that, so whatever you're comfortable with is the right one.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Riley01

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Ragged edge?
I can assure you it was not on the ragged edge and your truck is vastly stronger in every way (except the engine is just as stout in the 2nd gen) than the 2nd gen.

But they make lots of smaller campers than that, so whatever you're comfortable with is the right one.

Thanks, this has been tougher than picking out a toy hauler. The more I look at the AF 1140 the less I like it.

Rick

2019 Ram 3500 CC/8' bed/DRW/4WD/factory air leveling
CTD HO/Aisin/4:10/max tow package

computermonkey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not saying you should or should not take a look at the 1140. When I showed my wife the 1140 on the internet she hated it. When we went and saw one in person we bought it after looking at several others. Our campers before, was a Jayco Talon toy hauler, Eagle Cap 960.
I do not like to shop but campers is one thing I would say take your time and shop/look around and compare.

New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 diesel with our old AF 1150. No issues at all and that was loaded for multi month use over rough roads. Truck was bone stock in first picture. Later added a sway bar and rancho adjustable shocks. Never felt like I was on a ragged edge. This truck is a beast.

Our new camper weighs in about 800 pounds more. We have about 30k now on the truck with either that AF or the Host on the back.

[image]

[image]

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Ragged edge?

Actually the AAM rear axle under a new Ram 3500 is rated at 10,120 pounds by AAM, and the Dana 80 under that 2nd gen Dodge is rated at 11,000 by Dana.

Most on here believe new trucks are heavier duty, that’s not necessarily so. They just put bigger numbers on the glovebox.
That 2nd gen 3500 is as stout as any pickup. That’s the same rear axle Ford used to use in the F450.

This is why I’m always telling everyone the so-called “ratings” are not gospel. They’re marketing hype, numbers not calculated by the engineering dept.
You have to look at the actual parts.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

av8rds wrote:

My buddy on the AF owners group on FB says his 2019 1140 is 6000lbs loaded for travel.

Yes, that sounds like a good number.

I loaded my Palomino for a 4 month trip to Alaska than went to the CAT scales for my weight. I immediately came home and removed 800# of stuff that I thought I might need, but got along just fine without it.

As it was, I still scaled out at 5300# of 'cargo' for the trip, 13,800 gross weight.

Lakeside

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Ragged edge?

Actually the AAM rear axle under a new Ram 3500 is rated at 10,120 pounds by AAM, and the Dana 80 under that 2nd gen Dodge is rated at 11,000 by Dana.

Most on here believe new trucks are heavier duty, that’s not necessarily so. They just put bigger numbers on the glovebox.
That 2nd gen 3500 is as stout as any pickup. That’s the same rear axle Ford used to use in the F450.

This is why I’m always telling everyone the so-called “ratings” are not gospel. They’re marketing hype, numbers not calculated by the engineering dept.

Yeah, I know the 2nd Gen springs and the D80 are every bit as heavy as a new truck, but it is necessarily so.
Not what the defenders of their old iron want to hear, but sorry, it's the truth. Not to say the older trucks aren't capable or that some components are just as strong, but seriously, frame, brakes, steering components, power, transmissions, driveshaft, etc, all stronger in a new truck.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Riley01 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Ragged edge?

Thanks, this has been tougher than picking out a toy hauler. The more I look at the AF 1140 the less I like it.

Rick

Cause it's too heavy or due to the features?

Some folks kind of need to admit that driving, towing, mechanical things, just aren't their thing.
Something that is perfectly safe for one person would be a guaranteed catastrophe for someone else. Good to know your own limits for sure, but (not you) the day after day "claims" on this site about what is "safe" and what isn't.....with great personal conviction by some, get's tiresome.
More importantly, it spreads mis-information to all those that are asking honest questions. And the mis-information has, guaranteed, cost alot of people alot of money.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

Once again burningman nailed it..If everyone went by the stickers and glove box rating,we would be limited to pop up campers..I have showed newer Dodge DRW with as little as 2400# payload by there listed numbers and we all know that is not right..

Go directly to the axle or whatever manufacturer for the actual rating of said axle..Huge differences in most cases..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Riley01

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Riley01 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Ragged edge?

Rick

Cause it's too heavy or due to the features?

The features more than anything else. I've found a few others I like a little better. I found a 2019 Lance 1062 I liked but it has its own problems so I'm going to pass.

Edit: Actually I'm thinking I'm going to take a pass on the Lance campers altogether. I'm not too impressed with the quality.

Rick

* This post was edited 03/01/20 02:31pm by Riley01 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> AF 1140 Dry Weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.