Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2020 IKE raw and unedited
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2020 IKE raw and unedited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/26/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"transmission braking w the Aisin"

NEVER heard of such a thing!

I am NOT convinced the RAM applied the brakes.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/26/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I believe it was a major achievement to go down the IKE w zero brake applications and this was understated."

I 100% agree! Towing heavy what is the MOST important thing a truck can do??? Drag race??? UH, me thinks controlling the LOAD.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/26/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I believe it was a major achievement to go down the IKE w zero brake applications and this was understated."

I 100% agree! Towing heavy what is the MOST important thing a truck can do??? Drag race??? UH, me thinks controlling the LOAD.


As long as I get down the hill and still have the ability to stop without overheating my brakes I don't expect any more. If the engine braking cannot be overridden by the ABS system excessive braking can lead to a sudden, unexpected and hard to control jacknife. I agree that controlling the load is most important but I don't think that totally relying on engine braking is the best way to achieve that. I would accept the performance of any of the three for my driving. In fact, in the absence of knowing how engine braking or the ABS would react in a jacknife situation I prefer a system that I have more control of.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 02/26/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I believe it was a major achievement to go down the IKE w zero brake applications and this was understated."

I 100% agree! Towing heavy what is the MOST important thing a truck can do??? Drag race??? UH, me thinks controlling the LOAD.


As long as I get down the hill and still have the ability to stop without overheating my brakes I don't expect any more. If the engine braking cannot be overridden by the ABS system excessive braking can lead to a sudden, unexpected and hard to control jacknife. I agree that controlling the load is most important but I don't think that totally relying on engine braking is the best way to achieve that. I would accept the performance of any of the three for my driving. In fact, in the absence of knowing how engine braking or the ABS would react in a jacknife situation I prefer a system that I have more control of.


Jacknifing is actually one of the things tested in the J2807 and all three pass this even with the exhaust brake. Mainly because the ABS system has the ability to brake certain wheels(even the trailer) and apply different brake pressures to each wheel to control it. All while the exhaust brake continues to gently slow you down.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/26/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing better than blowing by those escape ramps on the big downhill grades knowing If I need to use my service brakes they will work at their best by using the EB to it's full advantage.

I have used my truck and RV's brakes on a 6% grade when my speed crept up on me, I hit the brakes to slow me down and I then realized my EB/TH some how had turned off. Kinda a scary feeling, it's amazing how fast 35k accelerates!!!

Bottom line by combo dogged right down!

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/26/20 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Groover wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I believe it was a major achievement to go down the IKE w zero brake applications and this was understated."

I 100% agree! Towing heavy what is the MOST important thing a truck can do??? Drag race??? UH, me thinks controlling the LOAD.


As long as I get down the hill and still have the ability to stop without overheating my brakes I don't expect any more. If the engine braking cannot be overridden by the ABS system excessive braking can lead to a sudden, unexpected and hard to control jacknife. I agree that controlling the load is most important but I don't think that totally relying on engine braking is the best way to achieve that. I would accept the performance of any of the three for my driving. In fact, in the absence of knowing how engine braking or the ABS would react in a jacknife situation I prefer a system that I have more control of.


Jacknifing is actually one of the things tested in the J2807 and all three pass this even with the exhaust brake. Mainly because the ABS system has the ability to brake certain wheels(even the trailer) and apply different brake pressures to each wheel to control it. All while the exhaust brake continues to gently slow you down.


That is nice to know. I brought this up because my 2013 Freightliner warns against using the exhaust brake on slippery roads. I still feel that occasional manual application of the brakes on steep hills is not a terrible thing.

Bionic Man

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2009

View Profile



Posted: 02/26/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Such typical RV.net dribble.

Some are vehemently defending the brand that they have.

Some are armchair engineers who are using some mathematical formula to try to determine what is possible.

Other engineers are sure about the functionality of brakes being applied by a trucks computer when there is no verifiable proof of it happening.

I think the bottom line is on a test virtually no one on this site will recreate, all 3 trucks did very well, and would have significantly better performance up and down hill than any truck just a very short time ago.

It’s a great time to be a truck buyer, regardless of your preferred brand.


2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 02/26/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:



That is nice to know. I brought this up because my 2013 Freightliner warns against using the exhaust brake on slippery roads. I still feel that occasional manual application of the brakes on steep hills is not a terrible thing.


Unless your Freightliner has a 6.7L Cummins, then it does not have just an exhaust brake or it uses an exhaust brake in conjunction with an engine brake. It likely has an engine brake which is not the same as an exhaust brake. An exhaust brake is much smother and more gradual than an engine brake which almost fell like the wheel brakes at certain speeds. Exhaust brakes are good at keeping you at a certain speed while engine brakes are better at bringing you to a complete stop much quicker.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Posted: 02/26/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Groover wrote:



That is nice to know. I brought this up because my 2013 Freightliner warns against using the exhaust brake on slippery roads. I still feel that occasional manual application of the brakes on steep hills is not a terrible thing.


Unless your Freightliner has a 6.7L Cummins, then it does not have just an exhaust brake or it uses an exhaust brake in conjunction with an engine brake. It likely has an engine brake which is not the same as an exhaust brake. An exhaust brake is much smother and more gradual than an engine brake which almost fell like the wheel brakes at certain speeds. Exhaust brakes are good at keeping you at a certain speed while engine brakes are better at bringing you to a complete stop much quicker.


It doesn’t matter if it is an exhaust brake or engine brake. Using any device that can lock the wheels and lose control on slippery surfaces should be used wisely.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 02/26/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Groover wrote:



That is nice to know. I brought this up because my 2013 Freightliner warns against using the exhaust brake on slippery roads. I still feel that occasional manual application of the brakes on steep hills is not a terrible thing.


Unless your Freightliner has a 6.7L Cummins, then it does not have just an exhaust brake or it uses an exhaust brake in conjunction with an engine brake. It likely has an engine brake which is not the same as an exhaust brake. An exhaust brake is much smother and more gradual than an engine brake which almost fell like the wheel brakes at certain speeds. Exhaust brakes are good at keeping you at a certain speed while engine brakes are better at bringing you to a complete stop much quicker.


It doesn’t matter if it is an exhaust brake or engine brake. Using any device that can lock the wheels and lose control on slippery surfaces should be used wisely.


An exhaust brake does not have enough power to lock the wheels.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2020 IKE raw and unedited
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.