Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hauling a heavy camper and towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Hauling a heavy camper and towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Expect a chassis cab truck to weigh around 10k lbs with a utility bed or flat bed with boxes (like mine) - Even unfinished without a receiver, deck or bed will be over 8k lbs. Suddenly that Class 4 weight rating seems like it will only leave you with as much payload as some Class 3's...

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was carrying 10,000lb equipment on my F450 flatbed.
Well below tire and axle rating.
Sure the 15k GVW taxable rating was a joke.

markowwes

Vegreville, Ab. Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2018 F550 crew cab with Diesel and 4X4, with aluminum service body we are scaling in empty at :
Front axle: 2570Kg.
Rear axle: 2300 Kg.
Total: 4870 Kg.
10,714Lb.
Geared the way I have it we can tow 35,000lb.
You need to consider your tongue weight in the mix too.
With my truck, Camper and Boat I scale in at 28,000Lb.

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/20 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will love the 1165! I enjoy the comfort SO much, but it is a big, tall heavy lunker.

I have mine on a 93 dodge D350. I have a dana 80 rear axle swapped in with larger brakes, and extra leaves in the springs, plus air bags, Rancho 9000 shocks, and home made stable loads. The trans is beefed up, better tork converter, the motor has a bigger turbo, high capacity injectors, and 4" exhaust. It does very well, with just the camper, or with my 28 foot box trailer, except at high altitudes. Over about 3500 elevation, it runs out of power for upgrades into strong head winds. I think it needs more turbo. Maybe compounds.

I had the trailer built with a long tongue so I don't need a hitch extender, and use a weight distributing hitch. That transfers some of the tongue weight onto the front wheels. I don't do 10% tongue weight. I move the vehicle in the trailer to get about 400 to 500 lbs. on the tongue, and it works better.

[image]

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

Between the camper and trailer, you will be over 14k GVWR. If you go with a 16k or 16.5k chassis cab and add storage, you will be pushing GVWR too.When looking at these large campers while towing a heavier trailer, the Class 5 trucks is where you want to look. I am about 18k lbs GVW when loaded with a Host Mammoth while towing an 8k lb trailer behind my 5500.

Good advice.

I would note that my research has shown that the rear axle load ratings by "truck" manufacturers (not the axle manufacturer) are set to match the tire load capacity.
Mostly, there are 11,000 pound axles installed on most heavy duty pickup trucks but the rims and tires used have substantially less weight capacity.
Thus, the truck manufacturer rates the axles based on the rim/tire load.

(Lastly, I feel that the term "heavy duty" used with "pickup truck" is misleading. There are no heavy duty pickup trucks in the truck classification world.)

2014 Lance 1181
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's all well and good, but if he wanted to build a truck, he would build a truck. I can only conclude that he wants to work from a stock truck.

There's no doubt that the F350 or F450 can handle the weight no problem. Might need airbags or something to level it out a bit. Axle ratings will take it.

You will, however, exceed 14,000lbs putting you in DOT Class 4. In states that sell truck registrations based on weight, unless you LIE, you will have to opt for the more expensive weight class.

Weight-based registration is based on how much wear and tear you are putting on the road. Heavier trucks cause more wear and tear on the roads, hence people who drive them should pay more to help maintain the roads.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whether you have a Class 3 DRW with the Dana or AAM axle, you do have an 11k lb rated axle under the rear. Expect that the rear of that unloaded DRW will be over 3k lbs and then start adding up what your camper and hitch weight will add to the rear. If you have a camper with poor front to rear center of gravity or a badly configured weight distribution hitch, you may even see some of your front axle weight transferred to the rear axle.

I've tried to justify paying for the GVWR I have registered, but feel slighted and sure many others do too. Although I am registered for 18K lbs, of the 9k miles I drive annually, less than half of them is in my state that receives the fees. What about the guy that only loads the camper for the three major summer holidays and puts 2k miles/year on the truck when loaded? Why should we be paying the same as someone that drives at GVWR 20k miles/year locally? I really do not want a strain gauge and GPS tracker installed on my truck so every municipality gets it fair share and big brother can track my truck, so I have relented to paying to keep my privacy.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I have mine on a 93 dodge D350. I have a dana 80 rear axle swapped in with larger brakes, and extra leaves in the springs, plus air bags

If I was going to put a monster TC on my '94 DRW,I would do the same as you except for the Ford(Sterling ) axles,it's alittle different to upgrade..The second Gen 10.25 is stronger than the 10.5 in some areas but lacks in gear size and a simple swap to a three spider gear setup is about all that is needed for the strength..Ford didn't get the upgrade right..LOL

The cost of modern Duallies is astronomical just like the price of used truck campers and in my opinion,going older and rebuilding certain parts is far cheaper than total price of an unknown truck with a larger axle..

Eagle Cap truck campers are awesome IMHO..A retired RV teck who used to do work for me could buy any TC he wanted and chose the Eagle Cap for himself because of quality but he put a 9.6 on a new Dodge 3500 SRW and could not handle the sway living in the Central mountains of Idaho driving the river to get home..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F450 pickups are a whole lot stouter than F350 pickups.
The 14,000 GVW rating is ONLY so buyers don’t have to register them as what they really are, Class 4 trucks. It is a completely fake number.
If you buy a chassis-cab, be aware they usually ride awful stiff. Not only are the springs a lot stiffer, they’re usually shorter too. The longer leafs on a pickup let them ride nicer.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

The cost of modern Duallies is astronomical just like the price of used truck campers and in my opinion,going older and rebuilding certain parts is far cheaper than total price of an unknown truck with a larger axle.

New ones certainly are. The MSRP for a F450 when I bought mine was $76K with Lariat and a few other features. The used 4 year old used one was less than half. Sure, it had 95K on it. That’s below the limit to buy a Ford Blue extended warranty for what it’s worth.

My justification for used is that I’ve traded in a lot of perfect vehicles over the years. You have to look, but you can find one owners that well taken care of. In my case, the previous owners went Ram. I suppose they didn’t want to do a DPF delete which is almost required for a 6.4. They showed horses and the vehicele was serviced all over the country. Only kind of significant negative was the smell of horse manure that took a while to eliminate. Worth it for $40K in my mind.

5 yrs later, it’s still my truck, and I still can’t justify a new one.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Hauling a heavy camper and towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.