Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Installing a slide out room in an existing coach
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Installing a slide out room in an existing coach

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
meleavingsoon

Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Branson N Tucson wrote:

Talking with friend,he mentioned a place does new slides in Gilbert Az. Could not remember the name of place. May be a lead.

I will ask around.... Gilbert is just around the corner....that would be great.

2000 American Coach 45' Heritage

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meleavingsoon wrote"

"I'm not looking for just anybody to do it.... honestly that is the reason I want to talk to those who can show me a finished product. I have met several individuals who have installed their own slides in buses and some have been far superior to those coming out of production factories. But I can't seem to talk any of those individuals into letting me hire them"

That should tell you something! IMO, what they are telling you is they don't think you would be willing to pay what it actually costs AND have them make decent money at the same time. When they do their own work, they don't have to pay themselves AND they learn/realize how complicated the job is to get it right. When manufacturers install a slide, they have the previous benefit of 1,000's of installations. (experience) But hey, if you "gotta have it" go for it. I admire your determination. I hope you don't have to change your screen name from meleavingsoon to mewaitingaroundforawhile.

Chum lee

* This post was edited 02/27/20 05:33pm by Chum lee *

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have not yet called HWH, I will again suggest that you do. It's anything but cheap (maybe in the $50,000 range) but if it can be done they can do the job and also keep the RV safe to drive after cutting out the factory supports designed to keep you safe.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might be able to recover a nice chunk of money if you record the whole thing and post it on youtube. That would generate plenty of views. Maybe one of those that speed the process up from cutting the whole to installing and working the slide.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fleet Man wrote:

Possibly HWH Corp. in Moscow, Iowa. I was there one time for warranty work and they were installing a slide out in the MH in the adjoining work stall.

HWH does not install slide rooms in RV's that did NOT have a slide room. HWH DOES engineer and design slide rooms for OEM's. They may have removed a defective slide room to repair it, but odds are the RV you saw was being engineered for a OEM. I was at HWH in 1996 when they were designing and installing the Slide Rooms for Newell Motor Coach. But, this was for Newell to build and install after HWH engineered it. HWH is a Hydraulic Manufacturer and not a repair shop for RV's other than HWH hydraulic system repair and Jack install. Doug

Branson N Tucson

Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend mentioned that a place in Gilbert has added slides but could not remember the place. May be a lead and not that far from you.

meleavingsoon

Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys.... just researching so far.... haven't spent any $$ and haven't cut the hole yet.... if and when I do I will be sure to document it for others benefit.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not true that HWH only installs factory slide outs.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/20 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

It is not true that HWH only installs factory slide outs.

Well, I just talked to HWH yesterday and they confirmed they only repair OEM slide outs and only design slide outs for OEM's. HWH IS designing a Motorhome(prevost type) for HWH ONLY, but will have the interior and exterior done by a outside outfitter. State your knowledge of HWH cutting holes in an RV and adding a room for a retail customer. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Installing a slide out room in an existing coach
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.