Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Chattanooga TN
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
AJS211

new york

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone,

I have never been to this area and wondering if anyone is familiar and if anyone has campground suggestions. Is there a lot to do in the area.? Thank you for any input.

Anthony, Janice, Little Anthony & Jessie the dog
14 Ford F350 Lariat Supercrew PSD
08 Bristol Bay 3420BH

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've used 2 in the area: Raccoon Mtn Campground. Our thoughts: Thought it has a cave, go-carts, and some nice views, it is filled with permanent campers so expect fridges, porches, and general junk around the campground. Not a bad place, but cramped and feels more like a trailer park.

Holiday Inn Travel Park -- while Raccoon Mtn is on the north side of Chattanooga, Holiday is on the south side, literally just over the border into Georgia. Don't worry...you are still in Chattanooga. We love this place...long wide pull thrus, and next to a civil war cemetery. Costs more, but we liked it more. We stay at this one about once per year on way to Florida.

Things to do in area: Rock City, Lookout Mountain. Spend a day here...it's worth it! Ruby Falls, a cave, and more in that one area. Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel downtown. Worth a visit! Train yard in back with historical trains. Lobby is nice, and a nice restaurant inside. There is more, but these to us are the highlights.

Have fun!

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling
2000 Jeep Wrangler for a Dinghy w/ Invisibrake & Curt Tow Bar

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for 2nd posting, but forgot to mention Chickamunga Civil War battlefield just a few miles away. Worth a visit.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Googled, "Things to do in Chattanooga" and found more reading and ideas than I can easily post here. I suggest you do the same. That way YOU can decide what interests YOU."

Piddlers

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raccoon Mountain - We were in the area and did a "drive through" of the campground. We were not impressed. Maybe for an over-nighter but I would not stay there for an extended stay or vacation. It was just not our kind of campground and like mleekamp stated, it just seemed more like a trailer park and a low budget one at that.

dennis1949

Decatur, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a easy choice on where to stay. Holiday Travel Park. Have stayed there many times and will stay there again.

Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dennis1949 wrote:

That is a easy choice on where to stay. Holiday Travel Park. Have stayed there many times and will stay there again.

x3 Wonderful park - we stayed there for a week in April 2017

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
374 Campgrounds,85K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1858 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was listening to a podcast on my drive home yesterday and the person being interviewed was a security expert born in Tijuana. He was talking about his travels through the US giving presentations on security and cartels and he mentioned his visit to Chattanooga. He couldn't have been more in love with the place. He called it "Wakanda for white people". Just like the mythological African hidden world of Wakanda from the Marvel universe, he described Chattanooga as the most amazing place on earth, and none of the locals want you to know about it.

I've never been there and have no frame of reference, but I loved this man's description of it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I was listening to a podcast on my drive home yesterday and the person being interviewed was a security expert born in Tijuana. He was talking about his travels through the US giving presentations on security and cartels and he mentioned his visit to Chattanooga. He couldn't have been more in love with the place. He called it "Wakanda for white people". Just like the mythological African hidden world of Wakanda from the Marvel universe, he described Chattanooga as the most amazing place on earth, and none of the locals want you to know about it.

I've never been there and have no frame of reference, but I loved this man's description of it.

Just stay off the interstates at afternoon rush hour. Not as bad/long as say LA or Houston, but its pretty intense in places.
Also be very careful if you choose to attend a downtown 'festival' that they periodically have. Gang-related shootings seem to occur at these about once a year.

Don't forget to visit the Moon Pie store!

wiskeyVI

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traveling through the area, I've stayed at the Camping World park.
There is an aquarium in Chattanooga that is OUTSTANDING.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.