Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Slide out awnings yay or nay?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide out awnings yay or nay?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

hornet28 wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The slide worked fine it just wouldn't come all the way in because the HEAVY WET snow had made the topper sag and the snow just bunched up between the trailer and edge of the slide preventing it from moving in the last few inches. Maybe you can understand it this way. Would the slide come in if you laid a 6 x 6 chuck of wood or ice up there?

I get it now. Thanks for clarifying. I have had slides with toppers for over 20 years and never had that problem with snow or anything else.
Barney

It was a big surprise to me also. My first thought was oh $#@! we're 1500 mi from home and the slide won't come in. Then I went out and found that. The picture doesn't really show it but it was around 4-5 in of wet snow

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Live in NM in our RV full time. Don't have them. Would tend to think the wind would terrorize them over a very short timeframe.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would not be without them. Long toppers may have sagging issues in the rain, just stick a beach ball between awning and slide roof to prevent water from accumulating.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Would not be without them. Long toppers may have sagging issues in the rain, just stick a beach ball between awning and slide roof to prevent water from accumulating.

My vote as well. My 5th wheel had 4 slide, 3 were smallish, one was pretty large. I just rigged a bouy with a pull rope, shoved it to the middle of the large awning: that kept the rain and snow from making it sag and it provided just enough extra tension so that it wouldn't flop much in the wind.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/20 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before I had an awning attach I would always climb topside to sweep off the slide out before retracting if we were parked under trees...with my awning that is not an issue anymore.

Next is something I have not had to deal with so had never thought about it before. An RV service dept guy told me he recommends slide out awnings in the event of camping in the snow. A layer of snow with freezing temps and you won’t be able to retract your slide out. I can’t imagine needing to climb topside onto a slippery roof in freezing temps to scrape/chip snow and ice off the top of the slide out...can’t be at all beneficial to the top of the slide out exterior.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

solman

Deep in the heart of Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that sweep the top of the slides before retracting them do you work from a ladder or climb onto the roof of the rv? I had thought perhaps a leaf blower while standing on a ladder might be easy enough. I have 3 slides but one will not get an awning for sure as the adjacent patio awning doesn't allow enough clearance for a slide awning as well. I may do an awning on the other two slides so as less to do when breaking camp.

Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toppers create as many problems as they resolve.
They keep debris away and block the sun. However they flap in the wind and pool in heavy rain.
Then we start getting into using beach balls and cargo straps to correct the down side of toppers.
In the end I chose not to have them.
I have 5 slides and don't wish I had toppers.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

They keep debris away and block the sun. However they flap in the wind and pool in heavy rain.
Then we start getting into using beach balls and cargo straps to correct the down side of toppers.
The good points:

They keep heat off the top of the slide out which will result in the trailer being easier to cool. Problem resolved.

They keep debris off the top of the slide out which can prevent seal damage, and prevent the need to climb a ladder, get on the roof, or use a blower to clean the top. Problem resolved.

They keep water from coming into the trailer when bringing the slides in when it has rained, or is raining. Problem resolved.

Problems:

Water pools on the toppers. Not exactly sure why this is a problem, since the water is outside and doesn't come inside, and will evaporate or flow off when the slide in pulled in.

Toppers flap. Mine don't, but some people say theirs does, and most comments seem to come from people who don't have toppers.

So, honestly, they really don't cause more problems than they solve. If someone doesn't want them for personal reasons, that's fine, but be up front that it's personal preference and not actual issues with the slide toppers.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Lantley wrote:

The good points:

They keep heat off the top of the slide out which will result in the trailer being easier to cool. Problem resolved.

They keep debris off the top of the slide out which can prevent seal damage, and prevent the need to climb a ladder, get on the roof, or use a blower to clean the top. Problem resolved.

They keep water from coming into the trailer when bringing the slides in when it has rained, or is raining. Problem resolved.

Problems:

Water pools on the toppers. Not exactly sure why this is a problem, since the water is outside and doesn't come inside, and will evaporate or flow off when the slide in pulled in.

Toppers flap. Mine don't, but some people say theirs does, and most comments seem to come from people who don't have toppers.

So, honestly, they really don't cause more problems than they solve. If someone doesn't want them for personal reasons, that's fine, but be up front that it's personal preference and not actual issues with the slide toppers.

I can agree you like them or you don't. But to pretend that they don't flap or don't pool water is disingenuous.
Yes some pool or flap worse than others. But those with flapping or pooling awnings are not imagining these issues or making them up.
The beach ball fix or cargo strap method are not imaginary either.
People are not putting beach balls or straps on their toppers just for kicks.... They are trying to resolve a REAL problem.

Nothing wrong with toppers if you find them beneficial nor is there anything wrong with not having toppers if you don't find them beneficial.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Explain to me what the "REAL problem" is with water pooling on the toppers. I honestly don't see an issue with it. Yes, some people don't like it, but that's personal preference, not a problem. Please expand on the problem, and a problem more than just "I don't like it". I honestly am curious why water pooling is a problem.

I don't like blue cars and would never have one. But that's personal preference, I don't say that blue causes my skin to break out, or runs off the car in the rain, just "I don't like it", no excuses.

* This post was edited 03/07/20 12:26pm by fj12ryder *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide out awnings yay or nay?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.