Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram 3500 MPG test
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 3500 MPG test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/20 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

ScottG wrote:

I honestly wouldn't care about any trucks fuel efficiency during the short times I'm climbing a mountain.
I'd rather see mileage results for a 100~200 mile run on a normal stretch highway.

Thats what this test is .... not 100 miles but a 66 mile loop of regular highway driving. I actually would consider a Ram if I thought it would get better fuel economy than the Ford. I'm pretty sure the Ram can display the DPF level so it is very unlikely that the Ram did a burn but maybe? If the Ford will actually go 30% further on a gallon of fuel than the Ram I can't see anyone buying a Ram over a Ford. On the other hand I can't help being somewhat sceptical of these results.

This is my guess as well that the RAM did a DPF regeneration during the loop. I can tell right away when mine is doing a regen. Mileage drops quickly. Based on the mileage I get in my RAM towing a big sail I am pretty sure it did a regen. It takes about 1/2 hour or so to do a regen on the highway in my experience which would mean that it was regenerating for just a bit more than half the drive. Would skew the results badly.

Rob

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ford running at dusk would be less likely to have wind.

That said, not the greatest showing. Maybe I shouldn’t complain about the MPG my truck gets.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watched it.

They mentioned the ride quality of the other trucks but didn't say anything about the RAM??? It appeared they were getting jerked around less, thoughts?

When in the low MPG my computer is very close. I do believe it was getting 6.3mph. I DON'T believe the others MPG. 70 mph towing that weight that is reality. Now do the other two have RPM's less than 2k at 70??? If so that would help some. They mentioned wind, sorry YES even with that type of load the wind IS a factor. Did they have a tail wind with the others???

REALLY sad they did the tests on separate days. Wind and temps do make some difference.

NO I don't believe the DEF numbers either!

Did anyone notice the bone heads did NOT have ALT ride height set? 40" to the fender is HIGH. Mine sets at 38 3/4" in ALT ride.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Watched it.

They mentioned the ride quality of the other trucks but didn't say anything about the RAM??? It appeared they were getting jerked around less, thoughts?

When in the low MPG my computer is very close. I do believe it was getting 6.3mph. I DON'T believe the others MPG. 70 mph towing that weight that is reality. Now do the other two have RPM's less than 2k at 70??? If so that would help some. They mentioned wind, sorry YES even with that type of load the wind IS a factor. Did they have a tail wind with the others???

REALLY sad they did the tests on separate days. Wind and temps do make some difference.

NO I don't believe the DEF numbers either!

Did anyone notice the bone heads did NOT have ALT ride height set? 40" to the fender is HIGH. Mine sets at 38 3/4" in ALT ride.

[image]

It was a 66 mile loop so, if there was a slight tail wind in one direction it would be a slight head wind the other. My 2011 Ford mileage computer was exact and consistent. My 2016 was off by as much as about 10%. It always used less fuel than the computer said but sometimes it was close. My 2017 ... I have checked it on the rare occasion but can't remember which way it reads. I very seldom fill from a metered pump. Even if the Ford computer was accurate it would still have meant it got 17% better fuel economy than the Ram which is huge. Maybe that is the result of putting less energy into the cooling system.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the record, that stretch of road would usually have a quartering wind.

Hard to argue though, the Ford did better.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What rpm was the Ford and GM running at 70?

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford would have been running about 1670 rpm and Ram about 1900. I'm going to need more convincing before I"m going to believe that the Ford gets that much better fuel economy than Ram just like I'm needing more convincing that the Ram exhaust brake is that much stronger than Ford's.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmm, the 7.3L gas Ford is starting to look better all the time....

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^ Why do you like gas?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Ford would have been running about 1670 rpm and Ram about 1900. I'm going to need more convincing before I"m going to believe that the Ford gets that much better fuel economy than Ram just like I'm needing more convincing that the Ram exhaust brake is that much stronger than Ford's.

My tachometer says 2,000rpm at 70 so the Ford running 1,670 would for sure get better mileage. That much difference with the wind who knows, I doubt it.

Seriously these guys need to learn how to fill up a truck!!! To be "PRECISE" they could have a 5 gallon container filled and mark the tank where the 5 gallons comes to, fill truck tank with nozzle til it shuts off. Fill to the top with the 5. Empty the 5 into the chase truck or have a second tank empty and then fill it with 5g.

Now take the run come back to the same pump so the truck is setting the same. Have a container with exactly 5 gallons in it. Now fill the tank til it clicks, now pour from the 5 into the truck til it's FULL. Now fill the 5 that you just used back to it's full line using the same pump to determine exactly how much fuel is used.

I know this sounds complicated but in reality it is not and would give EXACT amount of fuel used.

Do the same with the DEF, it's simply stupid trying to get an accurate number with the DEF pumps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 3500 MPG test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.