Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: F53 brake master cylinder failure
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> F53 brake master cylinder failure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last couple of trips I have noticed that I had oily water under the front drivers side of my 2018 Miramar motorhome. The only time I didn't see a small puddle was when I didn't use the AC on one trip.

The motorhome is still under warranty (Ford) until June so I took it to a large Ford truck dealership that's nearby. I called today to get a status and the service rep said they were waiting on a part, some type of cylinder. I am assuming he was referring to the brake master cylinder as that is where I suspected the leak was coming from.

I think the condensation from running the AC was washing off some of the fluid that was leaking from the cylinder and that was what I was seeing as the puddle under the drivers side.

I only have a little over 11K miles on the motorhome. Is this type of failure common on the F53 chases? I haven't seen much mention of master cylinder failures on the F53 so I am hoping this is an isolated incident.

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
3 fur kids (Monty, Lola and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy)

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. Normally, the dash A/C condensate drain is on the RIGHT side of the front, brake master cylinder/hydraulic booster on the LEFT.

Did you look under it to locate the source?

* This post was edited 03/04/20 10:38am by wolfe10 *

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The brake cylinder is on the front right. It's way up in the engine compartment. I don't see how you could even add fluid to it as there is really no room above it. Underneath the master cylinder looks like the power steering. Under that is the windshield washer fluid tank. The washer fluid tank had a film of oily/water solution on it after my last trip. The fluid got on part of the frame of the motorhome and the black paint is starting to bubble. I have been told that brake fluid will do this to paint.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

The brake cylinder is on the front right. It's way up in the engine compartment. I don't see how you could even add fluid to it as there is really no room above it. Underneath the master cylinder looks like the power steering. Under that is the windshield washer fluid tank. The washer fluid tank had a film of oily/water solution on it after my last trip. The fluid got on part of the frame of the motorhome and the black paint is starting to bubble. I have been told that brake fluid will do this to paint.

Right and left side of vehicles are referenced like you are sitting in the driver's seat.
That puts the master cylinder on the front left side.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

Right and left side of vehicles are referenced like you are sitting in the driver's seat.
That puts the master cylinder on the front left side.

Richard

If that is the case, yes it would be on the front left. I referenced the leak as being on the drivers side on my first post.

Just curious if anyone has had this issue with the F53 before.

Yankee Clipper

Cairo, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on my second F53 rig, and I have not heard of master cylinder failures before. Usually wheel cylinders will fail first, or the brake media will need to be replaced(rotors/pads). If the master cylinder were to fail, I'd expect you'd have a YIKES moment that would leave no doubt what had happened.
Good luck working this out. I'll be curious to see what Ford has to say.

Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS, Duke the overgrown Boxer mascot/lousy watch dog
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

The motorhome is still under warranty (Ford) until June so I took it to a large Ford truck dealership that's nearby. I called today to get a status and the service rep said they were waiting on a part, some type of cylinder. I am assuming he was referring to the brake master cylinder.

I only have a little over 11K miles on the motorhome. Is this type of failure common on the F53 chases? I haven't seen much mention of master cylinder failures on the F53 so I am hoping this is an isolated incident.

Burch

IMO, chances are it IS an isolated incident. At the age/mileage of your motorhome, it is not a common failure, but, it does happen. Watch the brake fluid level in the master cylinder in the future. It should go down slowly over time as the brake pads wear, but it should never go below the "MIN" level between brake pad changes. Only use the specified brake fluid if you need to top off. (see your owners manual or the reservoir on the MC)

Chum lee

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

Only use the specified brake fluid if you need to top off. (see your owners manual or the reservoir on the MC)

Chum lee

I would think you would need some type of pump to fill the bin. The master cylinder is high up in the compartment and right under the dashboard. Barely enough room to take the cap off.

I will report back once I get the motorhome back and talk to the service writer. He did tell me this was covered by the Ford warranty.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not very common. On my 12 F53 Forest River Georgetown there is enough room to fill it with a small bottle of brake fluid. I just flushed my brake system last fall. I’m sure other manuf may have made it less easy to add fluid.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

Chum lee wrote:

Only use the specified brake fluid if you need to top off. (see your owners manual or the reservoir on the MC)

Chum lee

I would think you would need some type of pump to fill the bin. The master cylinder is high up in the compartment and right under the dashboard. Barely enough room to take the cap off.

I will report back once I get the motorhome back and talk to the service writer. He did tell me this was covered by the Ford warranty.

Yes, it is tough to add brake fluid on the F53. You'll need some type of siphon or pump. A turkey baster (filled with brake fluid) with a flexible clear plastic hose on the end will work in a pinch. Or you could try using an old (empty and well cleaned) hand sanitizer bottle with pump. IMO, don't use the baster in the kitchen again unless you clean it really well, . . . . . . . and, . . . . . don't tell anyone else. Make sure the Ford Dealer tops the reservoir off with new fluid before you leave the shop.

Chum lee

* This post was edited 03/05/20 04:41pm by Chum lee *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> F53 brake master cylinder failure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.