Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Norcold 1200 Thermistor reads wrong until door opened/closed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Norcold 1200 Thermistor reads wrong until door opened/closed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Norcold 1200 with a strange problem. The cooling unit will operate and cool down to around 35 degrees (or slightly lower) and work fine for about a week. Then suddenly the temperature inside will start climbing and get into the mid 50's and the cooling unit will not engage because the thermistor temperature reads 15 degrees (using the diagnostic mode). Upon opening the door (light comes on) the thermistor temperature will jump to 10 degrees. If I toggle the door switch (causing the light to go off and back on) (either door), the thermistor will suddenly switch to reading 45 degrees and the cooling unit will come on. I've changed the thermistor, I've checked the connector plug (playing with the connector plug has no effect when the thermistor is reading incorrectly). Problem persists. Only opening and closing either door will cause the thermistor to snap out of it's problem and read correctly, and therefore cause the cooling unit to operate correctly. [emoticon]

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They go through auto-defrost modes at times although that wouldn't explain what the thermistor is doing. Still, maybe that's what you're seeing?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

They go through auto-defrost modes at times although that wouldn't explain what the thermistor is doing. Still, maybe that's what you're seeing?

no because once it starts doing this, the temperature continues to climb. I am familiar with the defrost cycle, but that is not what this is. During the auto defrost, it will get around 42, but not 55 and thermistor read 15. And as soon as I turn off and on the light (pushing the door button in and out), the thermistor immdiately displays correct temp and cooling unit comes on immediately.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if this is plausible, but---Is the thermistor losing its power over that week where the light bulb snaps in? The light has the same power at the other end of the light bulb holder. Maybe the light comes on and kickstarts it.

* This post was edited 03/06/20 08:38am by BFL13 *

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

I don't know if this is plausible, but---Is the thermistor losing its ground over that week where the light bulb snaps in? The light has the same ground at the other end of the light bulb holder. Maybe the light comes on and kickstarts that ground.

It appears to be something very close to what you are describing, but I cannot figure out what to do about it.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, had to edit out that being the ground. Same idea though. How about moisture/icing up there?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kmb1966 wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

I don't know if this is plausible, but---Is the thermistor losing its ground over that week where the light bulb snaps in? The light has the same ground at the other end of the light bulb holder. Maybe the light comes on and kickstarts that ground.

It appears to be something very close to what you are describing, but I cannot figure out what to do about it.

There are 4 wires. 2 for the Light assbly. 2 just for the Thermister. Both are separate from each other. Are you positive the Thermister is installed correctly on the Fin? Are your cooling fans operating? The White and Black wire bundle for the light and rear fans can be swapped by mistake on the rear control board. This will cause no obvious problems except the rear fans will not come on. Maybe it also causes your Thermister problem? The large white/small white goes on the LEFT terminal facing the control board. Doug

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

kmb1966 wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

There are 4 wires. 2 for the Light assbly. 2 just for the Thermister. Both are separate from each other. Are you positive the Thermister is installed correctly on the Fin? Are your cooling fans operating? The White and Black wire bundle for the light and rear fans can be swapped by mistake on the rear control board. This will cause no obvious problems except the rear fans will not come on. Maybe it also causes your Thermister problem? The large white/small white goes on the LEFT terminal facing the control board. Doug

Both fans in the rear are coming on.
Thermistor is on the correct fin, and in the correct position.
Thermistor was the first thing I replaced when this odd situation starting happening.
Watching the thermistor temperature (in diagnostic mode (3)) the temperature will show oddly low readings (00, 11, 15) and upon opening the door(light comes on) thermistor will read 15, 18, and then if I push the door switch(plastic white door switch) causing the light to go off (no change), but then release the door switch(causing light to come ON) the thermistor will jump to the correct reading (usually in the 40's) and the cooling unit will come on. All is well for a few days, and then it happens all over again.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a reset procedure for Norcold circuit boards that may help. Just guessing but it's a cheap try.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

BruceMc

Oregon - Willamette Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just guessing in the wind, but it sounds like the logic board is faulty.

'16 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
Previously:
'00 Four Winds 26Q Class C (Ford E350 V10)
'96 Kit Sportsmaster 212f Fifth Wheel/'93 GMC Sierra K2500
'91 SunLite poptop truck camper
and the first: a Wildernest flip-top canopy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Norcold 1200 Thermistor reads wrong until door opened/closed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.