Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: towing w/ camper few ?s
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> towing w/ camper few ?s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

Death wobble is worn out front track bars or other front end parts. If your truck is in good shape you won’t have it, and carrying a camper and towing your boat don’t cause more of it.

In my Jeeping days, a combination of track bar issues, loose ball joints and out of alignment front end caused death wobble. It was compounded on lifted vehicles.

Regarding Diesel trucks, I have one and it makes towing while hauling my camper effortless.

A lot of people will say a diesel truck is drastically more expensive to maintain.
For me, it's not "drastically" more expensive.
I have fuel filters to change about every 10,000 miles ($25.00 each)
I have lifetime LOF at the dealer I purchased my truck from.
I no longer live near them, so I unless I make a trip to the area where they are, which occasionally happens, I do my own oil changes now, which cost about $40.00

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely, people do exaggerate the expense of operating a diesel. But they’re hard on transmissions because they’re so torquey, and they cost lots more to buy. My overall cost of ownership on my diesel dually is a lot more than my gas dually, but I gotta say I love the diesel when the camper and/or trailer are on! I don’t “need” it and for me it hasn’t “mathed out”, but I really like driving it.

One other gas/diesel consideration is if you’re gonna drive in the sand. Gas trucks do better in sand because they aren’t so nose-heavy. Different regions have different sand so it may not apply in the south, but in the Oregon sand dunes gas trucks rule for that reason.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sure there may be other causes but both cases I have personally had with the death wabble were from worn out front rotors verified by the local mechanic that had seen it before..New rotors and it was like a new rig without the wobble..

As to diesels,I have owned just one pickup with the dreaded 6.2 and I never put a dime into it other than glow plugs and maintenance of course.Several big rigs with huge cost but huge paydays also..LOL

I am not against them but I prefer a gas engine and it's simplicity and available fuel and mechanics if necessary..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek, maybe what you are calling death wobble is different.

I was talking about loss of steering control after hitting signifcant bumps. In some cases, you have to stop and restart. I’m not sure how that works with warped brakes.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both cases were on the same hill with two different vehicles after hitting the brakes to slow down and the front end went into total histaria wobbling all over, all but out of control with even the steering wheel shaking terribly ..There was no sign of any issues prior to...It was kinda scary...

Both cases were the rotors should have been replaced rather than turned to or past the limit.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google..LOL wrote:

What causes the death wobble?

Death wobble is caused by loose or damaged steering components, however, it can also be caused by incorrectly installing steering or suspension parts.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In instances of death wobble that I've heard about, were also in Jeeps with lift kits and big tires. When death wobble happened, it was typically from hitting a bump or some form of irregularity on the road surface.
Slowing down or stopping brought the death wobble episode under control, but it could happen again at the right speed or a bump.

* This post was edited 03/10/20 11:35am by trail-explorer *

Bob

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you look on the jeep and 4X4 forums,you will see many saying they get the DW from bad rotors..

Example about if bad rotors give the death wobble:

Jeep Forum..Com wrote:

Yes I had that issue. I turned them and all was good for about 4000 miles. then it came back. I finally got a set of new rotors, the higher quality ones and never had the issue again.

thebrain

x

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The van I’ve been towing w/ for last three years has been replaced w/ a gtm360 trailblazer type SUV it is a midsized w/ 5.3AWD L33 all aluminum engine.it’s called the Saab97xxi5.3 303 horse power 330FT LBs weights 4650LB towes 6500 w/ 600LB
Tongue.weight. this is the finest trailblazer made for nice denial intera 13” rotors on front and rear brakes 18” rims.

I know I a little about the LS1 modding up horse power. I’ve kindof picked out a stroked 6liter 403ci proballey 650HP normalley. w/ a 4L80E. w/ upgraded transfer case & diff.s
I believe the turbo desils have serious torque. Upwards of 900FT LB w/ little tweeks on turboing.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thebrain wrote:

The van I’ve been towing w/ for last three years has been replaced w/ a gtm360 trailblazer

That would be a GMT360

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> towing w/ camper few ?s
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.