Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Coronavirus practical issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/16/20 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

pnichols wrote:


Other than dying from it, I can't imagine this virus being much worse to survive than what we just went through.

That's the whole point, though, isn't it?


That's the whole point of any flu, isn't it?

As far as I know, the "regular flus" kill thousands in the U.S. every year and you hear little hoopla about it in the news every year that it happens. Deaths from known flu types is a REALLY SAD AND PATHETIC THING because many of those that die most likely never got a flu shot that maybe covered the flu strain that they died from - even though they could have got the shot earlier to prevent it.

We have no flu shot choice right now with this new virus - so I'm wondering if this might be the reason more will die than who would "normally".


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/16/20 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phil,

Because this is the first time on the Merry Go Round, no one has immunity. It is not a case of if one becomes infected, but rather "when". Later would be better because there may be a vaccine in 18 months.


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dedmiston

So Cal

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/16/20 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

I'm the guy with all the questions.

The WHO response to my questions about why seniors who got sick with intense influenza got an email reply

I ask questions

The reply was from an immnu virologist at CDC

There were 4 different strains of H1N1 this year
None of the inoculations protected against the other 3.

The BS PR section of WHO did not acknoweldge this and they openly refuted the idea.

Hand sanitizer stops working the instant the alcohol dries. The same for hand washing. The most practical way to sterilize is with a dilute iodine solution in wate. Iodine lends residual protection. So does surgical scrubs like Hibiclens.

The most potent infectuous thing you can touch is currency and coinage.

Yet I have not seen a single mention of this anywhere. Have you?

I did not spend two years at college drinking beer and memorizing RBIs.

When I see things that do not make sense I question them.


MEXICOWANDERER - You've made your point with the iodine. I haven't counted, but I think you've posted it at least once in each of the coronavirus threads.

Let's give it a rest. Move along please.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/16/20 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100% is enough. Agreed!

RVs are especially vulnerable to hoarding. Tips about how to outwit it may be helpful.

One USA grocery chain is limiting it's 1st hour to seniors over 65 and the disabled. I am fortunate to be in Mexico where fruit and vegetables are cheap and available. Five dollars for 4 pounds of beautiful frozen bagged strawberries.

As the year progresses I remember roadside stands in the central valley of California selling #1"quality produce" at 1/2 the price of lesser quality stuff in supermarkets. I bought a lot then sold it at cost to other RVers. The idea caught on. Others did the same.

Camaraderie is priceless but rather scarce now.

TechWriter

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/16/20 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:


As far as I know, the "regular flus" kill thousands in the U.S. every year and you hear little hoopla about it in the news every year that it happens.


COVID-19 is deadlier than seasonal flu.


2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/17/20 03:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got an email from my dentist yesterday. Because the CDC has recommended that people suspend getting routine or elective dental care until further notice, my dentist was shutting down his office and cancelling all appointments. A phone number was provided to call for instructions in case of a 'dental emergency'.

An article that appeared on The Atlantic's web site featuring an interview with a Boston doctor included the following:

I was seeing a patient for his routine annual exam last Tuesday. And my medical assistant came up to me and said, “This patient has a cough and we just received the instruction about wearing personal protective equipment. What do you want to do?” Things were moving so fast that I had to read the guidelines. They are changing day to day. I realized that I had to put on kind of all the gear to go evaluate this patient. And I walked in the room—this poor patient, who just simply had a winter cough, his eyes went wide. He immediately asked to leave. His blood pressure went up 60 points just from seeing me in the gear. And that was not a situation I have ever wanted to be in. But that is the situation right now.

And so we are rapidly shutting down routine care. We have canceled all planned follow-ups with patients with diabetes and heart failure at this point because we have to preserve that personal protective equipment.


RayJayco

Tampa

Senior Member

Joined: 08/26/2009

View Profile



Posted: 03/17/20 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those that put down the significance of viruses should keep in mind that Ebola, rabies, HIV, small pox, hantavirus, dengue, rotovirus, SARS, Marburg, yellow fever are just a few viruses off the top of my head, that can be deadly, as can be influenza...

Also keep in mind that apparently it originated in China, a communist country, so how much faith can one put into the accuracy of their stats and info...

Speaking of stats, anyone that has taken a college stats course knows that the sample base is still not large enough for anything other than a guess... I won't repeat the potential accuracy of the info given...

I hear people questioning the validity of ~78 degrees F killing it. Obviously they don't understand the difference between an inert object such as wood, linen, metal, etc., and a BIOLOGICAL HOST.

Summer should help us if it follows the so called 5 month pattern that we hear from China.


Be safe.


Inquiring minds want to know...

bid_time

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 08/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/17/20 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

covered wagon wrote:

I don't understand did someone with all knowledge suddenly say this flu is the end of the world or something? It's weird because it's no worse than a common yearly flu season flu.

Seasonal flu has a 0.1% death rate. Currently, COVID-19 has over a 3% death rate. That makes COVID-19 30 times more deadly.

And if you're over 70, the death rate jumps to 8%, and over 80, the death rate is 15%.

Finally, there isn't any vaccine or treatment for this new flu.
How do you know what the death rate is when they don't even know how many cases there are. If there are 3 times as many cases as being reported (remember 80% no symptoms or mild symptoms), then your death rate goes down dramatically. Only 16,500 people out of 333 million have been tested. You numbers are pure speculation and have no basis in fact.





Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

Senior Member

Joined: 03/04/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/17/20 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The numbers are based in fact, but the facts are incomplete.

All we really know is that a lot of people have died, and that people with very mild cold symptoms are infectious and kill other people.

So if you get a cold, stay home for 14 days.

And it will help your neighbors if you stay home as much as possible even when you don't have a cold. If we can all just sort of hibernate for a bit, this thing will die down. Not completely, but enough for the medical system to catch up.


3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.


pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/17/20 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

The numbers are based in fact, but the facts are incomplete.

All we really know is that a lot of people have died, and that people with very mild cold symptoms are infectious and kill other people.

So if you get a cold, stay home for 14 days.

And it will help your neighbors if you stay home as much as possible even when you don't have a cold. If we can all just sort of hibernate for a bit, this thing will die down. Not completely, but enough for the medical system to catch up.


Well stated, Naio!

I'm scratching my head and wondering if the nasty "flu something" that the DW and myself picked up in Arizona in January (and lived through) wasn't in fact a very, very, early U.S. instance of Covid-19.

As I stated earlier in a post - we both got our high-powered geezer flu shots last fall, and do every fall. So I wonder what strain of "regular of flu" that we caught is new this year that was not included in these flu shots? [emoticon]

i.e. Has anyone heard of how effective last fall's flu shots are turning out to be during this year's "regular flu" season?

* This post was edited 03/17/20 12:28pm by pnichols *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.