Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 05 Ford Escape
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 05 Ford Escape

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Would it be possible to trade for a used truck? It might be cheaper in the long run to upgrade to truck and look for used trailer that wouldn't limit your choice to a pop up. Short wheelbase is not conducive to a good tow vehicle.

We're talking about a popup here... I wouldn't hesitate to tow one with my Focus...
You would know better then I about what transmission they used 15 years ago. I new two people with that Era Focus and both lost the transmission and they didn't tow anything.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first gen Escape was actually on the Mondeo/Contour platform rather than the Focus platform. So besides the suspension being decently robust it also got the Mazda developed 4-speed originally in the 626, rather than the ford designed units in the Focus and Taurus. The only common issue I've seen is very neglected fluid. Like 150,000 miles on the factory fill. Remains run about $1,100 and used takeouts are under $500, and generally cheap prices suggest there's not much demand for replacements.

That all said, if I were buying used and towing with it, if change the fluid first thing, and plug in a data monitor and keep an eye on temps.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 12:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

The first gen Escape was actually on the Mondeo/Contour platform rather than the Focus platform. So besides the suspension being decently robust it also got the Mazda developed 4-speed originally in the 626, rather than the ford designed units in the Focus and Taurus. The only common issue I've seen is very neglected fluid. Like 150,000 miles on the factory fill. Remains run about $1,100 and used takeouts are under $500, and generally cheap prices suggest there's not much demand for replacements.

That all said, if I were buying used and towing with it, if change the fluid first thing, and plug in a data monitor and keep an eye on temps.
Thanks forgot about the Escape being built on a different platform.

souraider

Rogue Valley, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not quite apples-to-apples, but I have used the wife's '12 Escape with a 3.0 to haul our utility trailer full of wood waste a few times...no problem. The trailer is likely #1800-#2000...so not max. I of course did not hit any grueling inclines, or declines...but wouldn't hesitate using it for a small popup. Some of the popups are light enough you can move around by hand. They're also very low profile when in tow.

'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

I have a 05 escape in my fleet. Transmissions and PTU's are consumable items if poor maintenance or infrequent maintenance was done.

The auto transmission in an 05 Escape, if not well maintained with regular fluid changes, will fail quickly under severe service. Which hitch does it have 1-1/4 or 2" square?

Personally, would be hesitant to tow that load on a higher mileage vehicle that lacked maintenance records.

Changing a transmission on one of these cars is 8.6 flat rate hours. (perfect world)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, I wouldn't worry about tail wagging the dog with a popup camper. Not alot of wind resistance, and it really doesn't weigh more than the tow rig.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple more things to think about that are safety related.

Brake system on your escape - does it have 4 wheel disc or front disc/rear drum? Brake fade would be a great concern for me with the disc/drum set up at the gross weight rating. At gross weight of 4520 - a 2500lb. trailer is 55% of gross - in many states this weight percentage will require trailer brakes. I absolutely know that in Washington State this is the case. No trailer brakes in Washington equals a huge liability -if in an accident. Especially if the accident goes over your insurance coverage maximum values.

There is no brake controller provisions on this era of Escape. Yes, one can add it but it will require tapping/running multiple circuits properly and using adequate gauge wiring that includes a power feed for trailer battery(Breakaway system)

Several here have reported towing utility trailers with an Escape. Personally, I would consider towing 2500lbs around town at surface street speed. But, change conditions to highway speed towing in weekend traffic seems a bit sketchy without trailer brakes.

I am not a weight police person or adverse to some risk person, but I would consider all the issues from mechanical to safety before towing with my escape which is a 2005 XLT 3.0 v6 with 4 wheel disc.

* This post was edited 03/13/20 07:48am by mapguy *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 05 Ford Escape
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.