Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: New smoker grill
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> New smoker grill

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

Looks good!

I think it holds temps fine when on high. I tend to always be looking for a low temp like 225 to 275 ish. So holding temps is kind of on the other side of the scale for me. I have noticed it doesn't really "Grill" that well. I think a Weber-Q is much better at grilling with the ceramic coated cast iron grill. Makes serious nice marks on a burger. When the smoke hollow is on high an the grill is real hot it really doesn't make nice tasty marks like the Q does. That's actually all I "Grill" for the most part on the little Q.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two of them. I am keeping the one that is in the OP’s picture. I really like it for smoking and indirect cooking.

I liked it so much I bought one without the trays for the camper. Unfortunately it is cumbersome to take out & put away. Live & learn.

I bought 10lb LP tanks thinking lighter to manhandle while camping. One tank last almost a summer at the house. I do not grill every day.

They are really well made & grill just fine. But the low temp cooking & smoking are where they shine. Slow cook a steak and then sear it at the end makes for a great steak.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 2400 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

jeremy_kirby

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 12:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Just got a new toy, seems well made, have a pork roast on it now to test it.
[image]
Got it from Amazon, about 30-35 lbs, has a latch to hold it closed when not in use, will be a permanent addition to my load out.
smoker/grill

Wow, it looks really impressive and I like the side shelves. Any serving photos to share?
Don't use a gas grill, I carry one of the small coal ones (here's my latest, from masterbuilt) and a bucket of charcoal. But now I'm starting to think about adding one of these to my collection.

* This post was edited 04/12/20 08:58pm by jeremy_kirby *

ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doubt that I would do it but have been debating the Pit Boss Tailgater.
We have the Road Trip from Coleman. I like it for cooking maybe a third of the things we prepare and cleanup is terrible... It does not do the low and slow!!!

Rick and Patti ">
2 Proud CONSERVATIVES ">
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to admit how big a dummy I can be.

I have had my Smoke Hollow grill for two years. When I started it up I could not see any difference when using the smoker flame on low or high. Like duh, I tried it early this month on low setting for the first time. The temp never got to 130F. On high it always was at 150F. Now it was in the forties outside. But that says it is putting out less BTUs.

After knowing that. I made really outstanding baby back ribs and this last week the best filet minion I have ever made. All on the smoker burner knob set on low. That is the only way to go. A bit of mesquite smoke helps.

I hope I am the only one that did not figure out the above.

It is a great well designed grill.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> New smoker grill
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.