Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Some ATV rules Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  The Toys

> Some ATV rules Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

A little off topic here but I was wondering if anyone has heard that if you have your licensed ATV for public roads in your state, that they may not be honoring them in other states. Currently, I knew it to be that if you were licensed in lets say WA for public roads as well as off road, that ID would accept it as an example.

It is not a simple thing. Especially the two states you picked for an example.

Washington ATV/UTV street legality is a jurisdiction decision. Many jurisdictions in central and eastern Washington allow some or all roads (except state/federal highways) to be traveled by ATV/UTV's that have undergone the RCW based conversion program, including the inspection/certification to state standards. Their is not reciprocal agreements in place for this program that I know about.

Idaho -just enacted a non-resident certificate program. Research herehttps://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/activities/atv-motorbike

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Furthermore within a state there might be counties or cities that allow the ATV and other cities or counties that do not.

Correct, and that's exactly how it is in WA.

in WA, The ability to use an OHV on public roads is left up to the local county government.

Spokane County is a NO.
Chelan County is Yes.

The county also has rules on which roads they can be used on.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sweet Lou. Use the internet, just like you did to post this question and look up the refs for the state you want to take your street legal atv too.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/20 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our rzr is licensed for on road/off road in WA. For several years Arizona has reciprocated other state ohv licenses, but in 2019 they passed a law that all non-residents had to buy an ohv decal for $25 to be legal in AZ. That is for street or desert riding.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I misread your post when I responded the first time. In Wisconsin, if your ATV or UTV is registered in another state, you must buy an out of state registration to use your off road vehicle in Wisconsin. That permit allows on road use where allowed. Most counties and townships are post roads as usable because they get paid to open the roads.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

LeChuck80

New York City

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

I misread your post when I responded the first time. In Wisconsin, if your ATV or UTV is registered in another state, you must buy an out of state registration to use your off road vehicle in Wisconsin. That permit allows on road use where allowed. Most counties and townships are post roads as usable because they get paid to open the roads.

Yes, indeed. According to the laws and various articles like this, you can drive ATVs and UTVs in Arizona without any problems if your vehicle has all the lights installed. Same with California, only age restrictions differ I guess.

* This post was last edited 04/10/20 08:30am by LeChuck80 *   View edit history

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LeChuck80 wrote:

Same with California, only age restrictions differ I guess.

Good luck plating a UTV here in California.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

A little off topic here but I was wondering if anyone has heard that if you have your licensed ATV for public roads in your state, that they may not be honoring them in other states. Currently, I knew it to be that if you were licensed in lets say WA for public roads as well as off road, that ID would accept it as an example.

I know for a fact that Idaho doesn't honor a WA "plated for road use" OHV. I researched it extensively.

The reason Idaho doesn't is because the plate in WA doesn't grant you the ability to ride all over the state (on paved roads). The local jurisdictions (county / city) are the ones that approve usage of said vehicles in their area. What that means is I had to get an Idaho plate on my WA rig, which is easy to do.

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arizona and Utah seem to honor each other. Utah has the added requirement of turn signals.

Arizona is one of the easiest states to license a vehicle, own a gun, etc - land of the free.

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

LeChuck80 wrote:

Same with California, only age restrictions differ I guess.

Good luck plating a UTV here in California.

I was there last week and they made me wear a helmet to ride off road. Nanny state.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  The Toys

> Some ATV rules Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.