Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Don't come to Massachusetts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Don't come to Massachusetts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There should be NO corporate bail outs to the fat cat companies who make billions in the airlines, cruise lines, Disneyland, etc. in the COVID-19 BILL.

They now EXPECT the taxpayers to bail them out all the time and they know it.

They need to start having a Business Plan that includes 60 days of operating costs put in "escrow" for emergency funding. That is on them.

These companies need to stop bankrolling the multi-million dollar CEO's and Board Members, and lining their Parachute, and retirement plans with billions of their company dollars!

They are loaded and need to stop depending on the government to bail them out.

It is our money and this needs to stop.

This will not be the last crisis this country faces, it is only the beginning with what is to come. Think 9/11. No more bail outs. The free ride is over.

Help our State and National Parks right now, not the fat cats!

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tdiller wrote:

...Many schools already have some form of online learning.....

Setting the virus aside for just a moment... This could turn in to a big experiment for our education system. Kids do class from home. Do kids learn just as well as they did in the classroom? If so, post-virus the question comes up...Why do we need to send kids to a physical school?

(Not trying to debate the validity of our current school system, just saying this virus is providing an all-hands-on-deck case study for remote learning.)

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

tdiller wrote:

...Many schools already have some form of online learning.....

Setting the virus aside for just a moment... This could turn in to a big experiment for our education system. Kids do class from home. Do kids learn just as well as they did in the classroom? If so, post-virus the question comes up...Why do we need to send kids to a physical school?

(Not trying to debate the validity of our current school system, just saying this virus is providing an all-hands-on-deck case study for remote learning.)

-Eric

Kids need social interaction as well, and don't forget sports and Phys ED. But, I thought the same thing as you regarding home learning. However, it could be core-subjects that need less interaction - math, history, English, etc. Then place certain days aside for the social and physical competition. We'd need less teachers - not so good - or smaller classes per teacher - better, BETTER.

I see that kind of learning base in our future ... plus, our kids are safer at home, than in some schools - as some recent history has taught us ...

Close some older schools and rotate same grade kids into newer schools on alternate days, with better internal security as well. Less schools, less cops required in schools, better use of newer school facilities. More cops on the streets where they better serve the community.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

Someone posted on FB to support your local restaurants by buying Gift Certificates, to keep revenue going, that you can use later.

Great idea.

Pretty sure that is not how Gift Certificates work from an accounting standpoint. The company needs to hold those funds 'on the books' and cannot spend them on expenses until they are redeemed. If I buy a $20 gift certificate, the accountant credits $20 to the bank account. But in issuing the GC, they also have to enter a debit for "We owe Eric $20 worth of cheeseburgers". Buying GC's does not go in a restaurant's nightly income on their balance sheet.

The only way this helps is you are promising to do business with them when they re-open. And if they fold and don't re-open, guess where Gift Certificates are in the 'who we owe money to' bankruptcy list.

My guess...

Some restaurants which are already hurting will be impacted. COVID is just putting them over the edge, it really could have been anything else. But I'll bet a lot of them innovate with special take-out menus, delivery, etc. I suspect some of them may take the opportunity to do some deferred maintenance - fresh paint, clean carpets, etc. Stuff that would normally disrupt operations and close all/some of the business may get done.

As far as I can tell, this is just an order to close restaurants/bars to being open for dining operations. There is nothing telling restaurant owners they can't have their wait-staff show up at work and do maintenance/deep cleaning (ie: earning a paycheck). If the kitchen staff is busy filling take-out orders, then things may be a little lean for everyone involved, but it is not a complete lights-out. This is not a situation where the government is closing all restaurants and ordering the employees to be permanently laid off.

-Eric

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Kids need social interaction as well, and don't forget sports and Phys ED....................

Yup. Not trying to debate any of those points. Just saying COVID is providing a unique case-study opportunity on a wide scale. The results of which could break either way.

-Eric

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone posted on FB to support your local restaurants by buying Gift Certificates, to keep revenue going, that you can use later.

Great idea.

Not really. Read the first post from Eric&Lisa. In short you just shift the issue out a few months. There may be some cushioning as more will be going out but overall it won't help a whole lot. Best option to help is if they do take-out or delivery take advantage. Our plan is to still eat out until they tell us we can't. As one of our favorite restaurants does take-out I'll still be able to get my favorite baked mac n cheese!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/20 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Great idea.

Not really. Read the first post from Eric&Lisa. In short you just shift the issue out a few months. There may be some cushioning as more will be going out but overall it won't help a whole lot. Best option to help is if they do take-out or delivery take advantage. Our plan is to still eat out until they tell us we can't. As one of our favorite restaurants does take-out I'll still be able to get my favorite baked mac n cheese!

They should be using all opportunities and marketing ideas they can. This Virus is not a one-size-fits-all solution to all businesses and the many problems this is causing the entire country.

Gift Certificate Promotion
Take Out
Delivery
Maintenance during down time

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa….

"Pretty sure that is not how Gift Certificates work from an accounting standpoint. The company needs to hold those funds 'on the books' and cannot spend them on expenses until they are redeemed. If I buy a $20 gift certificate, the accountant credits $20 to the bank account. But in issuing the GC, they also have to enter a debit for "We owe Eric $20 worth of cheeseburgers". Buying GC's does not go in a restaurant's nightly income on their balance sheet."

-----------------------

The gift certificates are bought in cash or credit card. That is revenue on the books when they are sold. They do not "hold" this revenue account until the Gift Certificate is redeemed.

So are you saying if I bought a $50 gift certificate and I never redeemed it or it expired. That is not $50 bucks in the revenue? Of course it is. What do they do with the $50 gift certificate that was never redeemed? Throw the cash in the trash?

Gift Certificates are not returnable. It is money in the bank. When it is redeemed it is debited from previous accrued income against the net revenue for the month.

It is revenue when purchased.

If you sell $5,000 in cheeseburges and redeem $1,000 in cheesburger gift certificates then you have a NET of $4,000 income for that financial period (month).

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michigan just shut down as well.. Thankfully one of the CG's I stay at is 5.8 MIles from my favorite restaurant in the area which is now with GrubHub and they deliver out to SEVEN miles [emoticon]

Meanwhile I'm in SC till after Easter. Hope this clears up fairly fast as rumor has it they are testing something (Treatment? Cure? Vaccine?) and we are not YET shut down.

I have some serious concerns but they are political in nature. So .... Facebook

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/20 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 03/19/20 06:15pm by down home *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Don't come to Massachusetts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.