Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Corona Virus and RV Travel Video
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Corona Virus and RV Travel Video

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is hard to imagine city density if you don't see it.
Paris is a city fitting in about 3 miles circle. Population over 2 millions.
Lot of apartment houses have shared bathrooms on hallways.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paris population is just over 2 million, but it’s 40 square miles not a 3 mile circle. It’s also fairly modern. I’m not sure what you are calling lots with respect to shared bathrooms. I think you might be thinking of a different city.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both sort of right. Paris is about 40 sq mile circle so if one was talking about the radius it would be about 3.6 miles. In any case it is pretty high density of people with many living in small close together apartments.

I feel lucky to live out in the country where self isolation isn't difficult at all. We went out for the first time in a week to the grocery store arriving at 6am opening. We were pretty much the only people there and they had everything we needed.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Paris population is just over 2 million, but it’s 40 square miles not a 3 mile circle. ..

Amazing that in cyber and google era people will still post such nonsense without spending 15 seconds on checking.
Map has scale at the bottom.
OK, maybe it is 3.5 miles circle.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the record, I wasn’t sorta right. It’s clearly 40 sq miles. It’s not a 3 mile circle, and it’s not a circle at all.

But, I’ll still wondering why you brought up Paris. You surely have some point, but I don’t know what it is.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A salesman is driving down a country road and breaks down a little ways away from a farmhouse, so he walks up the driveway to see if he can use the phone. In the front yard, he finds the farmer, who is picking up a pig and holding it up so the pig can bite an apple off the tree.

The farmer puts the pig down while the pig eats the apple, and then picks the pig up again so the pig can get another apple. This goes on for about five minutes while the salesman watches -- pick the pig up, get the apple, put the pig down -- about half a dozen times.

Finally the salesman can't stand it, and says to the farmer, "Wouldn't it save a lot of time if you just shook the tree and let the pig eat the apples off the ground?!?"

The farmer looks at the salesman and says, "What's time to a pig?"

* This post was edited 03/24/20 04:03pm by BradW *

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

jimh425 wrote:

Paris population is just over 2 million, but it’s 40 square miles not a 3 mile circle. ..

Amazing that in cyber and google era people will still post such nonsense without spending 15 seconds on checking.
Map has scale at the bottom.
OK, maybe it is 3.5 miles circle.

Eh, sorry bud. Used your google map pic and by that scale it's about a 6mi "diameter."
Either way, not sure what it has to do with a corona video and truck campers.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fwiw
in China big cities social distancing is imposible so everyone must wear protective face mask and life goes on just fine
Also Chinese dont use cash too much now,its all electronic payments

https://youtu.be/GRk9ZgMRyq0

Why dont all countries folow such simple preventive measure?

* This post was edited 03/24/20 07:08pm by free radical *

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

For the record, I wasn’t sorta right. It’s clearly 40 sq miles. It’s not a 3 mile circle, and it’s not a circle at all.

But, I’ll still wondering why you brought up Paris. You surely have some point, but I don’t know what it is.

Your math sucks. Circle, or oval, 3 or 3.5 dia will never make 40 sq.
I spend some time in Paris years ago and it was quite a shock comparing to California where I used to live at the time.
I rented Ford Focus in Paris and entering some streets was ready to fold side mirrors.
I visited several countries in Europe, where density is pretty high, yet Paris sure left big impression.
More recent comparison - San Francisco area, where I used to live has ca 10 millions people. Whole Nevada has 3 millions.
You see how differently the 6 ft social spacing can work in those areas?
NY is probably top density in US, but I spend only 1 day in this city.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1, you are the one who’s saying 3 or 3.5 diameter is the size. Google “paris size”.

Paris
Capital of France
Population: 2.148 million
Area: 40.7 mi²

I was in Paris and biking along one of the rivers last Summer for a few weeks, and my daughter lives there. No trip this year unless the virus clears up.

Paris has controls on their populations to prevent traveling, so 6 ft doesn’t apply at the moment except for grocery stores. My daughter has a form to fill out to go outside.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Corona Virus and RV Travel Video
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.