Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Germs, viruses and fuel pump handles and doors
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Germs, viruses and fuel pump handles and doors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My store bags are for used kitty litter. Toss in trash. I do use the hard-sided grocery bags as much as possible.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you that talk about recycling. Did you know that China used to buy most of our plastics and other recyclables. They don't buy them anymore and now most of the recyclable stuff ends up in the landfill.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is getting off topic as most do, but I reuse every plastic bag that doesn't have holes in it. They work great for fish after I get done filleting them. I store them in a used plastic container that formerly contained food we ate.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will only use 100% natural & 100% biodegradable gloves while fueling. My gloves are made from pangolin skin with pure rhinoceros horn gripping surface. I change gloves every 10 seconds while fueling.

Seriously, I also use reusable grocery bags and reuse the few plastic bags I have left. Maybe they are dirty, maybe not, maybe its all a scam. But they are much better quality bags if nothing else.

Patrick

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 11:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, one thing is for sure....something is going to kill every one of ya. And me too...
Are you going to sit around and worry about it and debate the use of different types of grocery bags, in a thread that was clearly started by some one with a diesel pump handle phobia?? Lol

Maybe everyone should just carry their groceries out one armload at a time and come back in to get more. Plastic bags run the environment, paper bags kill trees and now reusable bags kill you?

It a wonder some of y'all have the courage to get out of bed in the morning for fear of something gonna getcha!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to have to remember to wear gloves at the grocery store. Almost as hard as remembering my bags.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ But, but...the bags will kill you too...just ask some rvnet members!

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

wnjj wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Do you have any control over where all that food came from, and how it was handled before being placed on the shelves?

I don't, but at least they are handled by commercial employees who at least in theory operate under guidelines and in the case of production, inspections. It's not perfect but better than no control.

There's also a difference between being contaminated by a potential source or two versus every customer who came before me. Some "throwaway" things we do provide a sanitary benefit which seems to not be considered in the debate. Honestly I'm not really sure whether reusable grocery bags will cause more disease spread but I'm not sure anyone really knows.
I've been doing it for 20 years, so no biggie. I just hate to see all the waste and trash that everyone seems to take for granted. All that **** just ends up in the landfill, or along the roadsides when they're haphazardly discarded. I just choose not to do that. Again, no biggie.

And I thank you. NY just went to reusable. I think it is great. Now when I slam on the brakes to see that Snowy Owl in the hedgerow, it may actually be one and not a plastic bag.
Speaking of litter, Did you know that McDonalds packaging has a life of about 2.8 miles? At least that is the assumption the **** in my ditch leads me to.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Speaking of litter, Did you know that McDonalds packaging has a life of about 2.8 miles? At least that is the assumption the **** in my ditch leads me to.
Lol. The worst garbage mess I've ever seen was in the desert, coming into North Las Vegas from the north on the 15. White grocery bags caught on bushes, flapping in the wind as far as the eye could see. I think the landfill is somewhere around there.

* This post was edited 03/20/20 01:34pm by 2oldman *

camperforlife

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use my biodegradable dog poop bags which are always in the vehicle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Germs, viruses and fuel pump handles and doors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.