Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How many times can you torque bolts on a hitch?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How many times can you torque bolts on a hitch?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
skinnyme

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Curt A-16 hitch. Bought it about a year ago. The bolts in question on my hitch are marked 10.8.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

map guy, skinnyme said his 16k has 10.8 bolts, what standard thread bolt would that compare to?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

map guy, skinnyme said his 16k has 10.8 bolts, what standard thread bolt would that compare to?

google says 10.9 about equal to grade 8

Jerry

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at the hitch owners manual - you are stuck using metric hardware due to the construction of the hitch. Stay with a class 10.9 bolt. Do not lower the bolt class to 8.8.

I am not a fan of a bolt with a lock washer/flat washer stack such as how Curt has called out on the leg to main body connection. From experience -this combination won't stay torqued properly due to the movement forces in play during operation.

I would consider going to flange head bolts, eliminate the washers and use high strength thread locker to avoid the periodic re-torque of the bolts. This would depend on whether or not I could get a flange bolt with proper threaded/unthreaded dimensions that mimic the original bolt. The use of washers does reduce the potential to gall the finish but will require the periodic re-torque due to the potential for movement with a minor loosening of the bolt torque.

Using high strength thread locker will require heat to break the bond of the thread locker for disassembly or re-torque.

Hopefully the OP has a large enough torque wrench for the required torque. Proper torque values go a long way towards having an assembly stay assembled properly.

* This post was edited 03/20/20 10:13am by mapguy *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

google says 10.9 about equal to grade 8

Jerry

So grade 5 equivalent?

B&W uses Grade 8 bolts with locking washers, NO flat washers. They have 4 bolts each side compared to 2 each side on the CURT. I do believe the bolt diameter is a bit larger with the CURT???

[image]

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think bolts should be replaced only if the bolts have been tighten beyond the specified torque. If tightened beyond the setting, bolts can be stretched and fatigued. As long as they are not tightened beyond the specified settings they should be fine. On new assembly or construction of anything mechanical, re-torquing after break-in is a good idea, especially critical components.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have “not” routinely torqued mine....as in never! Discovered in November, that I should have. No harm....just a few loose bolts, and one with no nut. I’ll monitor mor3 closely in the future! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m guessing 25k towing miles and towing 23-25k I have never torqued my bolts other than original assembly. Honestly have not thought about it. But with quality fasteners and a quality torque wrench it’s not a big deal.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How many times can you torque bolts on a hitch?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.