Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: coronavirus...put it into perspective
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> coronavirus...put it into perspective

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
1968mooney

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So all this discussion concerning morality rates means some of those declared dead were really not. We will have Zombies walking around dead. [emoticon]

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is simply a fallacy put over on the public by the media so they can throw out higher, more scary stats.

Here's proof.
From Wikipedia:
"Mortality rate, or death rate, is a measure of the number of deaths (in general, or due to a specific cause) in a particular population, scaled to the size of that population, per unit of time."

From reference.com:
"The mortality rate is calculated by taking all the deaths that occurred during a particular time period and dividing that number by the total size of the population during the same time frame."

From Encyclopedia Britannica:
"mortality rate is calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the population at risk during a certain time frame."

https://www.easycalculation.com/medi...calculator.php

There, I've listed 4 good references which show the proper way to figure it, as it has been accepted scientifically and mathematically for many years. If we cannot stick to known facts but re-define facts on the fly to suit ourselves (as the MSM has done), we cannot communicate accurately. The media re-defines "mortality rate" and other terms on a frequent basis, so they can move the goalposts and frighten people into doing what is desired.

From the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dsepd/ss1978/lesson3/section3.html

There are multiple ways of measuring mortality rate. One of which is for a specific cause:

Cause-specific death rate Number of deaths assigned to a specific cause during a given time interval

Inthis case, cause is contracting covid-19

For the Flu, the mortality rate is 0.1%. This is the mortality rate if you contract the Flu.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just found out today that wife's employees 26 yr old son had a cold for few days, mother had him tested, he tested positive and now quarantined in RV.

He required no medical treatment and in his own words " ****, it felt just like a cold to me ".

This is glaring to me an raises a few questions:

Is the media feasting on this virus triggering immense overreaction.

Are the healthy paying a steep penalty for those that have neglected their health?

Hasn't there been many diseases throughout the history of mankind that had a trickle down effect on the population, several more serious then Cov-19 ?

I'm doing what's asked of me but starting to feel like....crying wolf.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

If we cannot stick to known facts but re-define facts on the fly to suit ourselves (as the MSM has done), we cannot communicate accurately. The media re-defines "mortality rate" and other terms on a frequent basis, so they can move the goalposts and frighten people into doing what is desired.
Apparently the media is worse than the disease. I wonder where this idea came from.

If you can show me where the media makes up these numbers, I'll be glad to listen. If you can demonstrate that it's the media quarantining people and shutting stores, I'll listen. I'm also interested in how doctors listen to the media before making their scientific views known.

Looks to me like a lot of hysteria is over the media.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

rexlion wrote:

If we cannot stick to known facts but re-define facts on the fly to suit ourselves (as the MSM has done), we cannot communicate accurately. The media re-defines "mortality rate" and other terms on a frequent basis, so they can move the goalposts and frighten people into doing what is desired.
Apparently the media is worse than the disease. I wonder where this idea came from.

If you can show me where the media makes up these numbers, I'll be glad to listen. If you can demonstrate that it's the media quarantining people and shutting stores, I'll listen. I'm also interested in how doctors listen to the media before making their scientific views known.

Looks to me like a lot of hysteria is over the media.
Have you even seen the media report how many people are getting better after having the disease?

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bid_time wrote:

Have you even seen the media report how many people are getting better after having the disease?
Yes, just yesterday...but it's pretty early for that.

I don't know what you media-bashers expect. In all my life the news has virtually always been bad. Nobody buys newspapers to read good news. I don't know what you want them to do.

I'm sure when we get a vaccine or a treatment you'll hear about it. Don't panic.

nhshep

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no flu shot for covid-19. No vaccine. 40% in hospital with covid-19 are under the age of 55.

What if your loved one caught Coronavirus and within 5 days was on a ventitalor. Would you dismiss it at overreaction. The current numbers of cases multiplying look do not look good. Seasonal flu has been in US since October. Covid-19 since January. Covid may not end around May when seasonal does. Wake Up.

Who Data:
“It took 67 days from the first reported case to reach the first 100,000 cases, 11 days for the second 100,000 and just four days for the third 100,000,"

2018 Prime Time Crusader 29RS

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/20 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Just found out today that wife's employees 26 yr old son had a cold for few days, mother had him tested, he tested positive and now quarantined in RV.

He required no medical treatment and in his own words " ****, it felt just like a cold to me ".

Are the healthy paying a steep penalty for those that have neglected their health?

Hasn't there been many diseases throughout the history of mankind that had a trickle down effect on the population, several more serious then Cov-19 ?

OK and if that kid with just a cold gives it to his friends and their families and one or more die. Was it worth the close interaction? Was it worth staying home?
Still many new cases every day. And a few do not recover.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

kellem wrote:

OK and if that kid with just a cold gives it to his friends and their families and one or more die. Was it worth the close interaction? Was it worth staying home?
Still many new cases every day. And a few do not recover.

True but it's difficult to portray a well understood post without it being very long winded.

I personally agree with the current aggressive gameplan, it's necessary.
But I'm still getting restless.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Of course. 21% of health care costs in this country is because of obesity. It's a factor.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> coronavirus...put it into perspective
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.