Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Multi month trip planning
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Multi month trip planning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

How did we go anywhere when we only had paper maps [emoticon]

I still use them for getting the basic layout for a trip.

When you zoom out of google maps to look at an entire state or several states at once, half of the roads disappear. Zoom in to see the minor roads, you have too small of an area to get the big picture. So you end up constantly zooming in and out.

Paper maps -- no problem. Spread them out over the kitchen table and start making plans with my DW right next to me.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To those who prefer paper maps, go at it. I don't drive my kitchen table. I don't have the paper map storage capacity for every state, every county, every town in the country in my door pocket. None of them can be retrieved to any degree of detail wanted with a couple of clicks & a roll of the mouse wheel or pinching of fingers on a screen.

If you are a weekend warrior you probably don't need anything at all. If you are the annual 2 week vacation traveler a phone or simple GPS will do. If you are a multi month wanderer covering thousands of miles & not really interested in a most direct route from one place to another, & maybe not even sure where the end of the day may find you, you want to have plenty of information at your fingertips & you don't want to have to rely on the internet to get it.

If all else fails I do have an old Walmart US/Canada atlas in a seat back pocket.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing is that all these methods are tools. And like all tools they are extremely useful in the hands of someone who understand how to use them.

And dangerous in the hands of someone who doesn't want to be bothered to learn how to use them. That's the problem I have with many internet tools. They are so easy to use that many people, my granddaughter for one, don't bother to look at the whole route picture. To understand the potential faults.

Not learning how a tool works, it's strengths and its weaknesses, is how people get down dead end roads with 60' long rigs. Or drive into a lake.

I like my method of planning, and you are very welcome to yours. I enjoy the level of planning that I do, and I'm sure it is excessive and a waste of time in almost everyone else's mind. Now when I'm not towing, well my wife calls some of my trips 'adventures'. Sometimes there isn't a ditch, or much more than two faint tracks across a field. We have fun.

Some routes I drive so much that I'm sure the truck can find it's way without me. And many others are the first, and probably the only time, I will ever travel that road.

The goal is to enjoy life's journeys, and be flexible enough to stop and smell the roses when you have the opportunity.

Safe travels.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Well, I fought the good fight to the bitter end but it looks like my use of Streets & Trips 2013 has finally been taken from me. I have not found a stand alone, no internet required, app to replace it. My 2009 Samsung laptop which has endured 3 bumpy trips on a table infront of the passenger seat to Alaska plus tens of thousands of miles all over the lower 48 & Canada, has finally died on me taking with it MS S&Ts to its grave.

So now I need to find something else that I can plan 100 day plus trips with.

I have tried the MAPS provided on Windows 10. Is it me or is it that cranky & frustrating to use?

I have a 3 year old Garmin 770RV which is fine for A to B trips but that is not how we travel. We avoid interstates like they have COVID 19. We do meandering day routes, often with changes on the fly when we don't like what the Garmin has come up with. The DW is a darned good navigator & given something with the details available of S&Ts she can navigate out of any wrong turn.

So, what else is there that I can use to plot away creating the next multi thousand mile trip, along with ideas on where to stay?

Would this work Ebay - Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013 (R......../s) - Full Version for Windows B17-00563

While I still have an old copy on an old computer I worked my way into Bing Maps years ago - has never let me down and is easy to use.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am exploring Bing Maps & Google Maps. Both seem very similar.

We are about a month delayed right now. The hold up is the opening date of MD state parks & a reluctance to pass through NYC public transport as part of route to get to MD.

Lots of time to fool with Google & Bing. Meanwhile here in Bermuda we are hunkered down like everyone else.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Multi month trip planning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.