Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 174  
Prev  |  Next
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant escapes neutralization by vaccinated and convalescent sera and therapeutic monoclonal antibodies
MedRxiv Preprint 14Dec2021

Serum samples from several cohorts (no more than 20 per) and two antibody drugs were evaluated for neutralization of two pseudo-viruses: Original strain (Wuhan) and Omicron.

Cohorts:
3 months after double BNT162b2 vaccination
convalescent sera collected prior to the emergence of Delta (labeled as due to Alpha)
convalescent sera collected after Delta became dominant
Antibody drug cocktail of imdevimab and casirivimab
Antibody drug sotrovimab

Natural immunity from Alpha yielded a 47.1x reduction in the neutralization of Omicron relative to original strain

Natural immunity from Delta yielded a 17.4x reduction in the neutralization of Omicron relative to original strain

Serum 3months post 2x Pfizer yielded a 27.0x reduction in the neutralization of Omicron relative to original strain

Antibody drug cocktail of imdevimab and casirivimab was essentially ineffective against Omicron

Antibody drug sotrovimab was effective against Omicron

This study is consistent with others on the reduced effectiveness of 2x Pfizer against Omicron. The new data here is the reduction in natural immunity against Omicron, the extent of the reduction is dependent upon which variant provided the natural immunity.

* This post was edited 12/16/21 11:28am by BCSnob *

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another study evaluating serum (circulating antibodies) for neutralization of omicron and wild type (original strain) pseudoviruses.

Striking Antibody Evasion Manifested by the Omicron Variant of SARS-CoV-2
BioRxiv Preprint 15Dec2021

Serum samples:
10 patients infected spring 2020 (presumably by the original strain)
13 2x Pfizer vaccinees (high titer samples)
12 2x Moderna vaccinees (high titer samples)
9 J&J vaccinees
5 AstraZeneca vaccinees

13 3x Pfizer vaccinees
2 3x Moderna vaccinees

Pseudovirus neutralization results:
convalescent serum: Only 2 samples neutralized Omicron; >32 fold reduction relative to wild type

Pfizer vaccinees: 6 out of 13 neutralized Omicron; >21 fold reduction relative to wild type

Moderna vaccinees: 11 out of 12 neutralized Omicron; >8.1 fold reduction relative to wild type

J&J and AstraZeneca vaccinees: no samples neutralized Omicron

3x Pfizer or Moderna vaccinees: all samples neutralized Omicron; >6.5 fold reduction relative to wild type

The reductions in pseudovirus neutralization measured with serum 2x Pfizer and 2x Moderna vaccinees was confirmed with few samples of these against live virus samples. Of the vaccines, Moderna had the least reduction in neutralization of Omicron relative to the original strain.

Note:
Above I have made the statements "6 out of 13 neutralized". This is somewhat misleading in that I simplified the actual results. The actual results were "neutralization in 6 out of 13 samples was detected with the assay used". It is possible weak neutralization occurred but at a level below what the assay could detect. However, the trends (reduction in neutralization relative to the wild type) are still correct.

* This post was edited 12/20/21 09:57am by BCSnob *

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BC Snob:

"Moderna had the least reduction in neutralization of Omicron relative to the original strain".

Super interesting, and bleeding edge. Thanks.

Am I reading this correctly? : .....in the small data sample(s), it appears that 2 moderna doses offered impressive neutralizing ability among the small cohort tested (higher titer) serum?

On edit: a Version 2 of your linked research was released with the supplemental file. Not sure what this means for the Version 1 conclusion(s), if anything?

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that the serum samples for those vaccinated with Moderna and Pfizer were purposely chosen based upon having high antibody titers; meaning patients that responded well to the vaccines and were likely recently vaccinated.

Based upon the above I wouldn’t characterize 2 doses of Moderna as impressive; there was still a reduction in neutralization of Omicron relative to the wild type (larger reduction than there was for Delta relative to the wild type, it was 2x-3x for serum collected 1 week post 2nd dose link). I would characterize 2 doses of Moderna as less concerning as 2 doses of Pfizer.

However, it is Moderna (relative to Pfizer) responses to VOCs that lead to my decision to stick with Moderna for my booster.

The preprint (full pdf) discusses results listed in supplemental tables which were not present in the initial posting.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VOC?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Variants of concern CDC. WHO

Current VOCs
Alpha
Beta
Gamma
Delta
Omicron

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the further clarification on this research!

We have had Moderna vaccines all along, too.

My decision to "go with Moderna" was based less on its performance (the early efficacy numbers) and more on what I perceived to be the very complicated procedural to prepare Pfizer, and Pfizer's seemingly extremely tight "best by date" as outlined in the Procedure for Preparation and Reconstitution of Pfizer’s COVID-19 Vaccine. Compare Moderna's Dose Preparation, here--> More forgiving thawing and deployment timelines.

However at this juncture, with what we know now about antibody evasion, every research paper I read on Moderna enforces our choice of being vaccinated with Moderna.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is more info on Moderna's performance against several variants.

Durability of mRNA-1273 vaccine–induced antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 variants
SCIENCE 13 Aug 2021 Vol 373, Issue 6561 pp. 1372-1377

side note:
MSD-ECLIA are products we (the biotech co I work for) make in association with the NIH/NIAID/VRC (sorry, more acronyms).

ECLIA; electrochemiluminescence immunoassay
NIH: National Institute of Health
NIAID: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
VRC: Vaccine Research Center

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, BC, for the research article link. Reading now...

On another front; this may be a clue, using "ex vivo cultures of the respiratory tract", shining light on why Omicron may be of lower disease severity, and why the Omicron infected may transmit much more readily:

HKUMed finds Omicron SARS-CoV-2 can infect faster and better than Delta in human bronchus here-->

*not fully peer reviewed as yet

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An article of interest

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/article........6084351fd4c466034232ee06e493377eac340d6a

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 174  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.