Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Battery time. 6V?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Battery time. 6V?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the not so old batteries in the Camper are cooked. I pretty much knew it. One thing I didn't pay attention to and maintian the last few years. Never seen batteries so dry! Lol

Good time to switch to 6V batteries.
So standard GC batteries are a bit too tall unless I remove the sliding battery tray. I could do that, but what about the shorter flush post batteries like NPP NP6 or Mighty Max 200ah deep cycle batteries?
Little more spendy than the "bargain" 225ah GC batteries but they're AGM and I can keep the sliding tray becasue they're shorter.
Anyone use these brands?
Issues?
They appear to be quality deep cycle batteries. Maxing out on capacity, 225 ah vs 200 is not a big priority. They're all going to need charged up every day or 2 the way we camp, if Boondocking.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the cost isn't a factor for you, go with a 100ah LiFePo4 battery. The same capacity at a quarter of the weight and size. It is maintenance free and has a built in battery monitor keeping your investment safe from undercharging. Although the initial investment is high, they are coming with a multi-year warranty that will protect that investment for years to come.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you have problem with charger when you boiled old batteries dry?
Start with getting better charger.
I use car & boat batteries in my camper. When they are not deep-cycle, I never had a problem with it.
When you buy designated batteries for camper, I would remove the try and put GC batteries. Best bang for the money and cheap batteries from Sam's lasted me 12 years, even they were not carried about much.
Having 24V battery bank in my motorhome, I used them for welding.
Just out of curiosity.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you’re considering AGM, take a look at VMAX Tanks. I’ve got one of their group 31 AGM’s and I think it’s been a good battery. Heavy sucker too, about 75 lbs. You do need a charger that supports AGM though.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the charger change/check. Personally, can’t see any reason to go 6V, but then, my batteries seem to last long enough for me.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the RV world, the idea that 6V batteries are always the way to go, for everyone, every time, is a myth as persistent as never letting a battery sit on concrete.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

If the cost isn't a factor for you, go with a 100ah LiFePo4 battery. The same capacity at a quarter of the weight and size. It is maintenance free and has a built in battery monitor keeping your investment safe from undercharging. Although the initial investment is high, they are coming with a multi-year warranty that will protect that investment for years to come.

Cost benefit ratio is a factor. Camper only gets used a couple weeks a year on average and sits in the shop or under a cover for about 50 weeks a year. So considering my camper batteries are virtual paper weights 90% + of the time, not spending that kind of coin on batteries. Plus I use it sometimes in the cold which is not a Lifepo4’s forte.
Thx for the suggestion though. I understand the advantages of them.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Sounds like you have problem with charger when you boiled old batteries dry?
Start with getting better charger.
I use car & boat batteries in my camper. When they are not deep-cycle, I never had a problem with it.
When you buy designated batteries for camper, I would remove the try and put GC batteries. Best bang for the money and cheap batteries from Sam's lasted me 12 years, even they were not carried about much.
Having 24V battery bank in my motorhome, I used them for welding.
Just out of curiosity.

You’re correct, but my charger/converter is good. I knew I cooked them. Just got a charge wizard for it. $25 to turn it into a smart charger.
I was gonna just get some $99 specials and I agree, they work fine.
But ended up going 6V. Mighty max 200ah batteries.
Fwiw, they are packaged slightly smaller than most 6V with similar ah ratings. Just small engouh to fit in the tray and slide in.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

In the RV world, the idea that 6V batteries are always the way to go, for everyone, every time, is a myth as persistent as never letting a battery sit on concrete.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Curious, what are the downsides, beside not being universally compatible if you want to yank out the camper batteries and use them on another vehicle?
I generally maintain the slew of batteries in our stuff pretty well, and get good battery life.
These just didn’t get the love they needed and I fried them.

Will see if they are the right choice, years from now. Now that I’ve idiot proofed my charging from myself, lol, they “should” net me 10 years or so. Hoping....

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

[emoticon][emoticon]

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Battery time. 6V?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.