Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: S&B electrical question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> S&B electrical question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently purchased a new home. It was built about 20 years ago. Some of the switches are wired a little strange. For instance, on our screened porch, we have 2 lights and a ceiling fan. All 3 of them are controlled by one switch, so in order to have the ceiling fan on, we also have to have the lights on.

I haven't actually looked at the switches to see the physical wiring, is it possible to just remove the fan from the switch and put it on its own switch without running new wire?

I don't plan to do the work, I am just asking so I know what to expect when I call an electrician. We have like 3 different locations in the house setup like this. I am just wondering if it will be a quick hour or 2 call or will it be an all day thing running additional wiring, etc.

Thanks,

- Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without seeing what you have, I think you should look into wireless controls for the lights and fans.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will depend on how the wires were run. If they just ran a wire from the switch up to a junction box and split out to the lights and the fan from the junction box, you won't be able to do what you want without running a new wire for the fan from the switch box and depending on code, you may have to run it from the fan to the new switch.

You could turn off the power and pull the switch out and just see the wiring. If there is only one wire in and one wire out, you will have to run a new wire to control the fan independently of the lights. If you aren't comfortable with doing the work, call an electrician. If they just have to run the wire and install a couple of switches, it shouldn't be crazy expensive.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds as though the fan may have been added later, replacing (or wiring off of) the existing lights.

It might be possible to install pull chain switches on the lights and/or fan to allow them to be controlled independently that way, even if they don't have them to begin with. Otherwise, very likely you'd have to run at least one new wire to have separate switches for both using normal switches.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for your responses. I haven't identified all the breakers in the breaker box yet, this one included, so I haven't pulled the cover to look at the wiring on the switch. Hopefully it'll be a quick fix when the electrician gets here [emoticon]

Thanks again,

-Michael

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally speaking in cases like yours it is not possible to put the fan on a separate switch without adding a wire.

however Wireless controls do work.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

clap on, clap off........... the clapper

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that you either need to make the lights be controlled by a pull chain (very cheap to do) or else make those fixtures operable by remote (a little more pricey) this might work, too: Add-on remote controls

bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most ceiling fans have a separate wire for the fan motor. This also means that on the fan there should be a separate pull chain control for the fan motor, which how they are intended to be operated. You will need to take the fan down and wire the fan motor directly to the power feed ( black and white on the fan ) and wire the light to the switch leg ( often a blue wire on the fan ).
This will also give a longer and quieter fan life since it can only be started on high as intended.

---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bguy wrote:

Most ceiling fans have a separate wire for the fan motor. This also means that on the fan there should be a separate pull chain control for the fan motor, which how they are intended to be operated. You will need to take the fan down and wire the fan motor directly to the power feed ( black and white on the fan ) and wire the light to the switch leg ( often a blue wire on the fan ).
This will also give a longer and quieter fan life since it can only be started on high as intended.

The lights and the fan are separate. This fan does not have a light, that's why I want to separate the lights and fan from the same switch and have 1 switch control the fan and 1 switch to control the 2 lights (with 2 bulbs each) not attached to the fan.

The wireless remote is a good option, but with the lights we have, they wouldn't fit. I did use a smart bulb to separate the front porch's fans and a separate light that were all on the same switch. Fortunately, this was just 1 light that doesn't get used much. We use the screened porch a lot, so I would rather separate the fan and the lights.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

-Michael

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> S&B electrical question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.